Forums Horror Movie Reviews
Keep An Eye On The SKYLINE (Blu-ray Review)

I have heard several good things about the film Skyline (2010), so I jumped at the chance of catching it on Blu-ray.

To everyone out there who had potive things to say, I only have one question...How many drugs are you on?

This was one of the worst movies I have seen. EVER. And I see a lot of crappy movies.

This movie was such a catastrophe I don't even know where to start.

I guess I will begin with the completely unimpresve and poor cast, leading into the most shallow plot I've come in contact with in ages.

Jerrod, played by Eric Balfour, (24, Haven, Saving Grace, and other things no one has ever really seen let alone enjoyed) is the main character. Alongde him is his pregnant girlfriend Elaine, played by Scottie Thompson (NCIS, Trauma, Brotherhood, and even more things that I've never heard of) They head out to LA to vit Jarrods best friend Terry played by Donald Faison, (Turk from Scrubs...need I say more) and his wife Candice played by Brittany Daniel (really the only player with a decent resume, most well known to me as the Trannie from It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia.)

Now that you have some idea as to the pitiful cast we are working with, we can dive into the plot.

Bacally, as I said, Jarrod and Elaine go to vit Terry in LA.

After a night of partying they awake to find the skyline filled with alien spaceships.

My ster and I spent a good deal of time trying to figure out how to describe these disasters.

Imagine a CGI War of the Worlds alien and a Transformer had a really lame baby.

The aliens are beyond horrible.

Essentially what follows is (blessedly only 94 minutes) of everyone running around like chickens with their heads cut off.

They try to escape, they try to fight back, they hope someone will save them, in the end they have no real plan, and really none of them seem like they are dying to live.

Even with the sub-plot of Elaine being pregnant, this movie has zero emotion. The Aliens are here for one thing, which I won't give away lest you still inst on seeing this movie, but let me say, it's not even that interesting.

The movie had no plot outde of "OMG ALIENS", therefore there was no arc, no climax, and you were given roughly 15 minutes of the beginning of the movie to get to know the characters.

So I personally wasn't really invested in any of their well being.

The movie was just a mess, between the poor cast, and the complete lack of dialogue, it was imposble to even make fun of. The ending was even more ridiculous, I'm still stunned at the stupidity.

Usually with a bad movie I can drudge up one potive thing to say, but I have been wracking my brain for an hour and cannot think of anything.

I'm begging everyone out there to not waste a cent on this awful movie.If you have aliens on the brain, rent Independence Day, The Fourth Kind, or hell, just rent Aliens

I've seen more emotionally, plot driven commercials.

SAVE YOURSELVES!

Oh and despite the following being the official trailer, half of the things from this trailer, were not even in the movie. I don't know who edited this, but they win for epic fail.

BloodAndRibbons Saturday 6/04/2011 at 01:14 AM | 77097
WHEW!!! I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought that movie fucking sucked!!!!!
Anonymous Monday 6/06/2011 at 02:42 AM | 77139
Well, I only saw the film once, and I believe most of what is in the trailer made it into the film. I think Skyline must be viewed from the perspective of an indie film. It was created for a very small amount of money as a negative pickup. The directors, who also directed AvP: Requiem, created the special effects for Skyline ung their very own money and effects house. As such, I think the effects in this film look so much better than most anything being released right now, that credit must be given to the film for that fact alone.

I think the plot is very straight forward and mple, so I can't believe you referenced ID4 as a more intelligent Alien invaon movie to watch. In that movie we infected the alien mother ship's computer with a virus. I didn't know we were so advanced as to do such a thing. Anyways, do audiences really want a complicated plot when checking out an alien invaon movie? Not at all. Much like a slasher movie, complicated plots lose a target audience.

Skyline does indeed deliver weak character development, and yes, the acting could be better, but I don't think that kills a film like this one. We want to see cool Aliens and destruction. This film delivers both. Surpringly, you did not like the Alien degns, which is amazingly bizarre. If you compare the Aliens of Skyline with say the more recent Alien invaon movie, Battle: LA, it's not even close. Skyline's Alien degns are far superior, which is indeed quite comical as the same effects house created aliens for both films. (That is an entirely different story for a different time).

I guess I wanted to chime in here and let people know that the movie is no where near as bad as this review leads on. If you want a deeply character driven film where you can connect with the characters on an emotional level and the film has a big budget, go check out Cast Away. If you want a fun little alien invaon flick with awesome aliens and special effects with a very unique reason for invading our planet, give Skyline a chance.

By the way, the ending that is referenced in the above review will definitely make you think.... What the hell? However, certain people will really dig it and others will hate it.
jasonsfury Monday 6/06/2011 at 04:13 AM | 77153
Sadly all of that trailer is in fact in the film. The problem is when that all happens you have ceased to give a flying fuck about what is going on and just turned your brain off. For a character driven movie, the characters all needed to die pronto. Much the same feeling I had for Gareth Edward's Monsters. The characters were poor beyond redemption and needed to be exorcised from the film in the most grotesque ways imaginable for mply subjecting us to their existence.
ironblade87 Monday 6/06/2011 at 06:55 AM | 77157

Anyways, do audiences really want a complicated plot when checking out an alien invaon movie? Not at all. Much like a slasher movie, complicated plots lose a target audience.I don't think the intelligence of an alien film or a slasher film needs to be as low as posble to hit the target audience.

Just because horror movies are the genre most of us enjoy, doesn't mean that we can't handle a deep plot, or substantial characters. Yes, horror movies tend to be more straightforward, but they aren't the short bus of cinema! Some of the best and most iconic horror films have a decent well developed back story i.e Halloween, Nightmare On Elm Street, Friday the 13th.

Horror fans can handle it, they aren't stupid!

As for the poster who likened the movie to Monsters, I'm so glad someone else made that comparison.

I was excited to see both movies do to their indie style and low budget.

In my opinion, when a movie is lacking in big blockbuster effects, it needs to compensate with a plot and characters that can balance the movie out.

I cared a bit more about the characters in Monster's but nonetheless both films were lacking in character development or really character depth.

I have yet to see Battle LA, but I am hoping it is superior to this, at least in cast.
BloodAndRibbons Monday 6/06/2011 at 01:58 PM | 77176