Forums Horror Movie Reviews
BATTLE: LOS ANGELES (Blu-ray Review)

After last weeks horrendous disaster Skyline I was dubious about tuning into Battle: Los Angeles (2011)

I probably would have avoided it all together if not for the cast.And I have to say after watching it, I AM SO GLAD I DID!

First of all this movie was leagues better than Skyline, and not really milar at all (thank GOD)

As I already mentioned, the cast had a lot of likeable familiar faces.Aaron Eckhart (The Dark Knight, in which he SHOULD have won the Oscar! Also more recently, Love Happens, Rabbit Hole) Ne-Yo (nger, The Family That Preys) Bridget Moynahan (Prey, Lord Of War, Sum Of All Fears) Michelle Rodriguez

(SWAT, Machete, Fast And Furious, Lost) Jim Parrack (True Blood)

Just to name a few.

The Plot:

Sgt. Michael Nantz (Eckhart) is a Marine who is feeling his age. He has agreed to complete training his most recent recruits, but after that he is headed for retirement. Things happen pretty fast in this movie which was both a blesng and a curse.

Nantz's squadron is introduced so quickly that their names were lost to me.

The squadron, slated to go to Afghanistan, are prepared to depart when word comes in of meteors crashing to Earth all over the globe.

The thing is, scientists note that the "meteors" seem to slow down before they hit the water.

Not really indicative of a falling rock. Things go to hell pretty quickly, the team is reasgned to go into the streets of LA to rescue survivors (2 adults and 3 kids)

However, in the streets, robot like aliens are on foot, killing and dismembering the world around them. Their mison is mple, rescue the stranded and bring them back to base.

Of course the obvious problem being slightly overlooked, how do you destroy something when you don't even know what it is?

To be honest that is really all I can say about the movie because I'd hate to give too much away. The pace of the movie is fantastic, and intense. Very action oriented which I enjoyed.

Not only does it encapsulate how entirely blind and screwed we would be if attacked by an alien race, but it also focused on the horrors of war, no matter who or where you're fighting.The plot was also intelligent and well thought out.

I especially liked the scene where despite being pinned down, Eckhart's character insts on dragging one of the dying aliens inde to poke and prod and attempt to figure out how to kill it.

It was small scenes like that, that really made the movie more than just another alien invaon flick. Sure they seemed to have an infinite amount of ammo, but knowledge is power too!

At its heart is the unity of the Marines, and their devotion to protecting their homes and families. Also Eckhart's gritty performance is fantastic in my opinion.

Personally this was one of the best movies I have seen so far this year and I can't recommend it enough.

Here is the trailer, in case you haven't seen it.

But I'm telling ya, get out there and rent it!

OORAH!!!

http://youtu.be/5IVIyP7bvlE

http://www.horrorbid.com/images/blog/2422.
BloodAndRibbons Thursday 6/16/2011 at 01:49 AM | 77498