Forums Horror Movie Reviews
INSIDIOUS Blu-ray Review - Let's Go Inside The House!

Hey guys, it’s Star again filling in for Zack. He’s been so swamped with work lately so you’ll just have to deal with me every now and again! Just bear with him, tomorrow you’ll have a review from him that isn’t as amateur as mine.

I chose to review Indious today on Blu-ray (which is a terrific transfer), a movie I saw back in theatres in April for my birthday. Being the offspring of the producers of Paranormal Activity and the creators of Saw, you’d expect to be in for a treat. The movie definitely has the feel of a generic haunted house movie, and delivers… to an extent I suppose. Don’t get me wrong, I did enjoy this film, my expectations were just set too high, understandably so though, I mean, look at who was behind the scenes creating it.

But anyway, let’s just jump right into a brief plot summary, shall we? Family just moved into their new home, a mamma, a daddy, and 3 kids. Perfect little family in their perfect little home, but, as I bet you can predict, something goes horribly wrong. The usual creepy stuff happens, things get moved around the house, etc. I don’t feel like I really need to explain this very thoroughly as it’s pretty typical so far. The family is obviously a bit shaken by the events, but the one that seems to be affected the most is the youngest son, and it only gets worse when he gets quite the scare one night while sneaking up to the attic. So scared, he goes into a coma while he is sleeping. The family obviously is in distress, and the random scares continue to happen. Doors open, more things go misng, weird ass noises coming from a baby monitor, you know how it is. Then there’s good ol’ dad, doesn’t think anything is wrong, which, of course, doesn’t improve the tuation any, as it makes poor daddy not home as often anymore.

The movie goes on, with more spooky shit happening to the family, so they call in a couple of retarded modernized ghostbusters, who were probably my favourite characters in the whole film, they were great comedy relief. While all this is going on, Dalton, the son, is still in that damn coma. After the makeshift ghostbusters they also bring in a psychic. Fuck.

We are then brought into a crazy ass supernatural world, I don’t even want to explain it because the amount of confuon that ran through my head when it all got revealed was insane. Creepy mannequin type things, jump scares (which made me scream in the theatre mind you, I’m a fucking pussy) and the alternate world they created made the movie worth it, but as I said it was pretty generic at first, they might as well have taken scenes from Paranormal Activity 2 near the beginning.

Even with its flaws, I’d be lying if I said I didn’t enjoy the film. It’s worth a watch, especially if you liked Paranormal Activity, White Noise, or are into haunted house movies.

Thanks for reading again guys, and leave a comment if you want more reviews from me in the future. Cheers! Score - 78% Gore - 1/10

http://youtu.be/E1YbOMDI59k
HorrorDaily Wednesday 7/06/2011 at 10:13 PM | 78090
I had the same reaction as you when I first saw this in the theaters.

My expectations were very high based on how people were raving about the movie, and I left the theater a little disappointed; however, this is one movie that deserves a rewatch.

I very rarely change my opinion of a movie after the initial viewing, but upon watching this again I loved it and will be buying the Blu-ray next week.
gummi Wednesday 7/06/2011 at 10:48 PM | 78093
Wow, you went to see it on your birthday too? That is cool. I loved it, I thought all the paranormal stuff in it was very creepy, and I loved Lin Shaye as the psychic.
Moon Wednesday 7/13/2011 at 12:57 AM | 78443
Just finished INDIOUS and what can I say. What a brilliant piece of horror shot on a modest 1.5 million dollar budget. It just goes to show you that money can't buy good horror. Great scares, great pacing, great twist ending. This is horror at its finest in my humble opinion. Lets go back to our roots genre fans. Lets see more movies like INDIOUS.
Horror Domain - Cursed Evil Overlord Wednesday 7/13/2011 at 03:35 AM | 78488
Thanks for the comments guys! (I'm Star, if you haven't guessed haha)

And that is pretty cool how we both seen Indious for our birthdays ^^

It really is an amazing movie, I'm just so nit-picky at things whether I enjoyed the film or not, just how i like to critique things!
xStarcasm Wednesday 7/13/2011 at 06:42 PM | 78562
I enjoyed it. I love the subtle scares in the earlier portions of the film. Things get really interesting once they veture into The Further, but I was with it - definitely a well assembled flick that's worth more than a ngle viewing.
Matt_Molgaard Friday 7/15/2011 at 01:02 AM | 78710
I'm bringing it to my parents next week, they got a home theater set up, and I want to see how it does with the surround sound, also

how mom reacts
HorrorDaily Friday 7/15/2011 at 04:52 PM | 78747