Forums Horror Movie Reviews
The Best Killer Cockroach Movie Ever Made? The Nest (1988) Review

Killer bug movies have always been a favorite of mine. It's not the bug themselves that creep me out; it's the sensation you get when one is crawling on you that really creeps me out. Our primitive instincts instantly react and we think the bug is going to bite us. It's the feeling of imminent doom that creates either of two reactions: We either swat at it or hold still and hope it will go away. If you have a fear of bugs and/or cockroaches, I'd recommend you stay away from this movie. Or, if you like being scared, then check it out. Watch your step, because you may come across...

The Nest 1988 Review It opens up with Sheriff Richard Tarbell (Franc Luz, who played a deputy in the horror movie Ghost Town, which was released the same year) waking up and discovering he has a roach problem. He goes out for a spin around the island town of North Port in his police wagon and we are introduced to the characters in lightning fast succeson: There's Homer, Jake, Mrs. Pennington, and Tarbell's love interest, Lillian. The mayor's daughter, Elizabeth, is flying in to vit, and Tarbell and her reconnect. We are then introduced to the mayor talking with someone else about how "they" will be all over the place if they don't do something. It is revealed that experimental cockroaches with a taste for blood have escaped from the Intech corporation, and Dr. Morgan Hubbard comes to help them get rid of them. The rest of the picture consts of the roaches eating people and even genetically mutating into whatever they eat. The Intech company agrees to let the town evacuate before spraying the place with lethal gases, and if everyone's not evacuated, they have to turn on the lighthouse. Our group of unlikely heroes discover that if they spray the place, only a little will get to the cockroaches' nest in a cave and therefore make them immune to the spray. The group now have to destroy the nest and turn on the lighthouse before they all get either gassed or eaten. Produced by Roger Corman's Concorde Pictures, The Nest is a very low-budget monster movie with a lot of charm. There's lots of gore, and it just seemed that with every pasng scene, it just got gorier and gorier. The special effects on the roach hybrids are fantastic and way better than anything CGI could have given us. The performances were all very good and believable, even if the movie itself is far-fetched. The pace is really fast, even if I felt it took a while for things to get moving, but once the ball is rolling, it never stops. It's intelligently written; while the events seem far-fetched, the science involved makes it seem like it could actually happen and that's surpring given this is from producer Roger Corman.

If you can't tell by now, I really enjoyed The Nest. It's an enjoyable B-movie that manages that great balance of horror and humor without ever breaking the fourth wall. I was kind of bored near the beginning, but once the roaches started munching, I started liking it. Smart, savvy, and gory as heck (don't expect Dead Alive, though), The Nest proves that you don't need mountains of CGI or ruggedly handsome stars to make an entertaining movie, and for that, it earns a Rating System:

The best of the best.

A really great film.

It's OK; has its flaws.

The power of Christ compels you to stay away from this film!

Death is preferable to this garbage.
ObscureCinema101 Tuesday 8/09/2011 at 01:24 AM | 80274
I gotta see this, sounds great. Another great review!!
Anonymous Tuesday 8/09/2011 at 02:16 AM | 80276
I really love your posts man. I've remembered seeing the cover to every one of them, but only ever knew what a couple of them were about. I certainly have some new movies I got to hunt down. Keep up the good work !
HorrorDaily Tuesday 8/09/2011 at 05:47 AM | 80289
Yea I think i remember this one I must have seen it years ago. I gotta see it again good review
DoubleshotJ Tuesday 8/09/2011 at 01:40 PM | 80308
Ive never herd off the film, but review sounds good :)
cat Tuesday 8/09/2011 at 03:14 PM | 80317
I may have to check this one out. I tend to shy away from insect films as a rule - ten minutes in and I feel phantom creepies crawling on my skin - but the effects look fun!

Great review!
dew Wednesday 8/10/2011 at 12:17 AM | 80344
Great review man! I wanna see it now, especially with that second to last picture of the Roach Hybrid. I just have one question, where do you guys find these films to rent? RedBox only has new films and blockbuster is pretty much obsolete everywhere now I believe.
Sephit Wednesday 8/10/2011 at 03:32 AM | 80363
Great review man! I wanna see it now, especially with that second to last picture of the Roach Hybrid. I just have one question, where do you guys find these films to rent? RedBox only has new films and blockbuster is pretty much obsolete everywhere now I believe. I managed to find a VHS at my local used books/movies/muc store. It was $3, and that's cheaper than renting. For renting, I use Netflix, and I'm depressed that I have to get rid of it before the ridiculous new price change occurs. I'd recommend ordering this one on Amazon; there's usually a copy for $10 or more.
ObscureCinema101 Wednesday 8/10/2011 at 04:03 AM | 80366
Great review man! I wanna see it now, especially with that second to last picture of the Roach Hybrid. I just have one question, where do you guys find these films to rent? RedBox only has new films and blockbuster is pretty much obsolete everywhere now I believe. I managed to find a VHS at my local used books/movies/muc store. It was $3, and that's cheaper than renting. For renting, I use Netflix, and I'm depressed that I have to get rid of it before the ridiculous new price change occurs. I'd recommend ordering this one on Amazon; there's usually a copy for $10 or more.

Damn VHS? I guess this is another one that is not on DVD that should be huh.
Sephit Wednesday 8/10/2011 at 05:11 PM | 80385

Damn VHS? I guess this is another one that is not on DVD that should be huh. Well, it IS on DVD I was just saying I found a cheap VHS copy.
ObscureCinema101 Wednesday 8/10/2011 at 06:27 PM | 80388