Forums Horror Movie Reviews
See You After " THE DESCENT": Review

This is long overdue. Readers of my work, should have noticed my love for The Descent by now, even if I haven't mentioned it out right. The Descent is what I conder a modern clasc, and has what I conder the best jump scare of all time.

The story follows Sarah, a year after the loss of her husband and family in a tragic, and gruesome, accident. Sarah is a daredevil, you know, those people that chase thrills at danger to their own lives, and is convinced to come on a spelunking trip. But no one seems to notice that their not in the cave they thought they were. And with no way out, but to push forward it's going to be a long night.

One of my favorite aspects of The Descent is how long it takes for the monsters to show up. Yes, that is some what of a spoiler, but by this point everyone knows about the Crawlers. The first half of the movie is focused on being trapped in the cave, and works really well to give the sense of claustrophobia that makes the movie so chilling. When the monsters do show up, things go from bad to worse quickly.

The first time we get a good look at the Crawlers, is what I would conder the best jump scare of all times, leave a comment if you remember the scene, I don't want to spoil it for first time viewers here. The Crawlers look fantastic, the effects are top notch here, from the Crawlers, to the blood and gore. And by god is there ever blood.

I found the characters to be well thought out, even the characters who the audience is supposed to be against, I found myself liking. All the characters make choices that seem realistic to how we've come to know that character, which is one of the things I look for most in a movie. The acting is very believable, you come to see how these people are friends, and enjoy their company, and when they are scared, we're scared with them.

So, if you haven't seen it yet, you owe it to yourself to check it out. There is also a sequel but I haven't seen it yet, if you've seen Part II, I'd love to know what you thought.

Score - 100% Gore - 10/10

HorrorDaily Friday 8/12/2011 at 02:20 AM | 80490
The Descent is one of the worst horror movies I have ever seen. It is a generic, lazy embarrassment to the genre.
Boisv Thursday 5/24/2012 at 05:28 PM | 93225