Forums Horror Movie Reviews
Off The Wall Cinema: Vampire Girl VS. Frankenstein Girl - The Review of WTF!

I never saw Ringu, Ju-on or any other so-called “J horror” films that have come out of “the land of the ring sun”, needless to say I didn’t know what to expect when I popped Vampire Girl vs Frankenstein Girl into my DVD player. I’m guesng this particular flick has a slightly different vibe than those movies that inspired The Ring or The Grudge.

Maybe a little...

I’ve heard some crazy things about these “pink splatter” flicks, dubbed so because the blood looks a little pinkish and sprays liberally all over the place. Not being one to shy away from the off the wall and over the top I decided to check out an attractive title based on a manga that goes by the name “Vampire Girl vs Frankenstein Girl”. You gotta start somewhere, right?

What the hell can I say? We’ve got Vampire Girl Monami played by the delicious Yukie Kawamura, a recent transfer student who “doesn’t stand out”, despite being the most beautiful girl on campus. Takumi Saito is the object of Monami’s affection as the brooding Jyugon Mizushima, apparently the only guy worth fighting for in the whole school. Standing between Monami and Jyugon’s eternal love is the ever-scheming Keiko a.k.a Frankenstein Girl, played by Eri Otoguro. Now that we have our monsters, let’s get ready to rumble!

Apparently, in Japan, it is customary for a girl to proclaim her love for a boy by giving to him a piece of chocolate, and that’s exactly what Monami does, only it’s packed with some of her vampire blood. Jyugon eats said chocolate and becomes only half vampire, as he must drink more of Monami’s blood in order to complete the transformation. Meanwhile Keiko’s mad scientist daddy and yummy asstant are experimenting with corpses in the school basement. This guy is dressed in crazy Kabuki garb as he dismembers and screws together corpses…only to fail miserably in bringing them to life. Oh well, they make for some fine macabre artwork at least.

Back to Jyugon who isn’t quite feeling well and decides to lie down for a bit in the nurse’s station…there Jyugon is greeted by Monami, who bites her lip and attempts to kiss her man when Keiko shows up to put a stop to it. She slaps at Monami, which sends a droplet of Monami’s blood to the floor unnoticed, until later that is, when the school nurse, who pulls double duty as Keiko’s father’s lab asstant, finally traps the living blood with a mop.

There are other characters rounding out this crazy cast, including the School Wrist Cutter captain who leads a small group of uglies in a school recognized arm cutting competition that has to be seen to be believed. Plus, there are some chicks who really like to tan—so much in fact that one of them dons blackface make-up and an afro wig which apparently makes her really good at track? So much for political correctness in Japan. While these quirky characters seem like filler (and they certainly are) they do serve a purpose later in the film…

Back to Monami and Jyugon who later meet on the rooftop for that special kiss. Keiko shows up and tries to put a stop to it but ends up taking a swan dive to her death. She is then brought to her pa’s secret basement lab where he gleefully goes to resurrect her ung the newly acquired vampire blood. Remember the Arm Cutter chick and the Black face girl? They are targeted by Keiko’s father’s asstant, who harvests Arm Cutter’s arms and Blackface girl’s legs to be used on Keiko when she is resurrected. You got all that?

The titular battle between these two supernatural baddies doesn’t

really get going until the last half hour of the film, but when it does it’s…well…I won’t call the fight spectacular, but it’s certainly not boring, and most definitely loaded with a healthy serving of cheese.

Ultimately, what we have here is insanity at its cinematic okay-ness, but nce this is my first foray into J horror, I don’t really know what to compare it to. I can’t say this is a great movie, but I can’t definitively call it terrible either. Hell, I even enjoyed its offbeat if not overly quirky humor, whether it was intentional or otherwise. Don’t go into this film expecting a ngle thing. If anything, lower your expectations as far down as you can, t back, crack open a x-pack (or case) and enjoy.

I think next I’ll check out Tokyo Gore Police. http://youtu.be/aAGMzxhk3Hg
the_vengeful_machete Thursday 11/24/2011 at 05:51 PM | 87441
lol this looks... I don't know. But AWESOME comes to mind lol. Going to have to see if I can find a copy.
Jonny Sicko Thursday 11/24/2011 at 09:21 PM | 87455
I turned this little review out on the fly. I suppose I could've mentioned some of the DVD's specs. It does have english subtitles and dubbing, but yeah, it is crazy off the wall. LOL!
the_vengeful_machete Thursday 11/24/2011 at 10:53 PM | 87459
Hiya I am excited to be on

www.horrorbid.com I only wanted to say greetings to all members.
neeveimpole Friday 11/25/2011 at 12:20 AM | 87461
Vampire Girls are best always.
ammyjames Wednesday 12/21/2011 at 09:55 AM | 88497