Forums Horror Movie Reviews
Don't Let Your Mother Hear You Saying " The V Word" - A Masters Of Horror Review

I have a strong love/hate relationship with vampires. They can be done right, such as in Urban Gothic's "Vampirology", or they can be wrong, like Twilight. Then there's everything in between, with elements that are great, but flaws scattered throughout. The V Word falls into this category.

Starting out by showing Doom 3 being played, I had a feeling I would like this one. The story follows teenagers Kerry and Justin, two horror loving, FPS playing guys alone for the weekend. After getting pissed off because of a call from his dad Justin decides they should go see the body of the high school bully who

died in a car accident. So like any normal high school kids, they decide to break into the funeral home, and take a look around. Justin's coun works there, so it should be all good, expect that his coun is no where to be found. The door to the funeral slams shut behind them, locking them in, so they decide to try to find the coun, and venture further into the house of the dead. This leads to some rather creepy scenes of dead bodies, and blood everywhere. Upon finding his coun dead, and a rather odd looking Micheal Ironde playing a vampire, a series of events is set in place that will change the young boys life's forever.

Around the half way point, The V Word heads off in a direction I didn't see coming. That being said, after the change in direction, the rest of the film is rather predictable, much in the same vein of Near Dark. It follows a tried and true formula, which fans of vampire cinema will either appreciate, or hate. I found the gore in this one to be a nice change of pace from the usally vampire film. Instead of just biting the neck, and leaving a couple holes, the vampires in this one feed by tearing the throat completely out, drinking the blood like it was a shaken up soda. This leads to one of the funnest scenes I've seen of a recently changed vamp taking a drink of water, only to have it pour out through the hole.Ernest Dickerson was behind the directors chair this time around, you may know him as the man behind the Snoop Dogg horror in the hood film, Bones, and the Tales From The Crypt Demon Knight film. Personally out of all his entries in the horror world, The V Word shows off his talents best.

The only real downde to the movie is the stupidity of the characters, from the kids, to the cops. For a couple of teens who love horror, you'd think they'd be able to tell a vampire when they see one feed. I also learned a valuable lesson from this, 911 operators are assholes who think everything is just a prank call.I highly recommend The V Word, it's not as good as Family, or Homecoming, but makes for a solid entry in The Masters Of Horror series.

Score - 85% Gore - 8/10

http://youtu.be/OggTfjXMk5E
HorrorDaily Friday 12/30/2011 at 02:46 AM | 88770