Forums Horror Movie Reviews
Killer Klowns from Outer Space, a guilty pleasure

To read what Killer Klowns from Outerspace is about makes the film sound absurd and dumb.

Killer aliens that look like circus clowns invade a small town with their cotton candy guns and a spaceship that looks like a circus tent and look to make a meal out of the human race.

But to see the film you realize that this is an effective little horror movie.

And it is also an homage to many of the earlier horror films.The film opens with a guy and his girlfriend finding a weird happening out in the forest (like Steve McQueen and his girlfriend in The Blob) and they tell the local sheriff and his deputy about it.

The deputy happens to be the girlfriend's ex and also was in Hunk, less said about that film the better.

John Vernon (Dean Wormer from Animal House) plays the sheriff with a mean predjudice and you truly hate this man.

Also in an interesting cameo is Royal Dano who gets plugged into the ill fated old man who's dog hears a strange noise in the dark woods so he goes to find the dog.Some may scoff at this film for not really being a horror film but I know people who are so terrified of clowns that they won't even watch this film.

I walked into the video store and asked the two people working behind the counter if they had this title in stock.

One guy looked at me like I was from outerspace while his partner buried his head on the counter laughing and immediatly went to the shelf and picked it up.Killer Klowns from Outerspace benefits from taking all of the things people love about the circus and twisting them into horror vehicles.

Popcorn is turned into a lethal monster spewing weapon, cotton candy is like acid to the human skin, and even giant rubber balls are used to imprison people.

The ckest thing about these Klowns is that they have a morbid sense of humor.

A pie to the face results in the complete dintigration of a human being, they use an invible dog on a leash to track their prey, and one even drives an invible car and drives someone right off the road.Killer Klowns is not perfect but it is a real fun ride and it is never boring.My final score for this one is *** out of *****
JohnCarpenterfan Monday 1/16/2012 at 03:16 AM | 89532