Forums Horror Movie Reviews
An Intelligent Mans Found-Footage Film "SKEW": Review

I'd like to start this out by saying I'm not the biggest fan of 'Found Footage" films. With that being said, I have seen quite a few, mostly the more well known, or one's mentioned on the Bid,such as 'Megan Is Misng'. While not the biggest fan, it's always nice to see it done right. I am on the other hand, a huge fan of psychological movies, such as 'Bug', and 'May', and will t and re-watch one until I think I fully understand it. 'Skew' is both a found-footage film, and a psychology horror film, and gets it right, for the most part.

Our main character of 'Skew' is of course our camera-man mon, the young twenty-something who brings a camera with him everywhere he goes. Trust me, you know this character. The main thrust of the film involves mon, and dating couple Rich, and Eva, on a road trip to attend a wedding. Along the way, through means of the camera, we get to witness some odd occurrences. I know, your thinking, "Isn't all found footage films through means of the camera?", well yes, but the camera is picking up images that the characters themselves aren't seeing with their eyes. Said occurrences being that the faces of people are showing up all disfigured and Skewed ( see what I did there?). Shortly after your image is caught on camera this way, you die some how.

'Skew' is a movie that has more going on in it than you might think at first. The story is easy to follow in the most bac sense, but to really understand it, you have to delve much, much deeper than the surface level. There's themes and ideas at play, that aren't going to be popping out at the viewer, and I for one am thankful. It's nice to see a director, who is willing to believe in his audience's intelligence, and not force fed every aspect down our throats. I for one hope to see more come out of director/writer Sevé Schelenz.I have a few minor problems with 'Skew'. While the acting for the most part is rather strong, there are a few scenes that stand out as just terrible performances. Shortly after the first person turns up dead, Rich delivers some lines, and poorly would be a nice way to put it. The acting is this scene was so wooden you could build a boat out of it. Thankfully this scene is one of only a couple rare occurrences in the film, but nce the rest is so strong, it really stands out. Another of my problems is there's a scene later on when a police officers face is seen all fucked up, but his death scene following makes very little sense, and is never mentioned again. It feels as if it was just a last minute addition to the film, in order to add another freaky moment.The best thing going for the film is by far it's atmosphere, which early on, before anything happens even, has a way of taking a hold of the viewer, and persting throughout the rest of the film, all the way until the eerie, yet confung ending. There are a couple jump scares in the film, and while none of them got me, I can see how the first one will get people. The first jump scare, while not scaring me, unnerved me throughout the rest of the scene, which I find to be more enjoyable than being startled.'Skew' is not a perfect film, but is a great mixture of two sub-genres of horror, that relies on it's audiences intelligence, rather than expotion. The unnerving atmosphere is sure to get under your skin, the slow burn aspect of the film may leave viewers wanting a faster paced film. I highly recommend it, but it's clearly not for everyone.

Score - B Gore - 2/10

http://youtu.be/IjwBwuKD8mI
HorrorDaily Friday 2/03/2012 at 01:32 AM | 90128
Please explain the end to me. I feel like one of the unintelligent .
cauwel3 Saturday 2/04/2012 at 04:28 AM | 90160