Forums Horror Movie Reviews
SICKorSHIT Review: THE INNKEEPERS - "Whatever You Do...DON'T Go Into The Basement!"

So, here we go, a review of Ti West's 2011 film "The Innkeepers", here's the synops...

"During the final days at the Yankee Pedlar Inn, two employees determined to reveal the hotel's haunted past begin to experience disturbing events as old guests check in for a stay." IMDB

Going into this movie I had heard a lot of great things about the director Ti West, according to fellow sources his 2009 movie "The House Of The Devil" was a great throwback to 80's horror and was a very well-made horror film (unlike his other effort "Cabin Fever 2: Spring Fever"). So I was highly intrigued to view this film, so, here's my verdict...

After the first 10 minutes of this movie I was in love. The set degn was flawless, the characters were lovable and the comedy was in the foreground while the horror lingered in the distance waiting to pounce. One thing I adored about this flick was the modern senbility, in the first few minutes there was a scare that me and my mates were very familiar with - "The Youtube pop-up!" - this was executed greatly and it was a lot of fun to watch. Another stab at horror was a moment where a unseen figure was behind someone and only one of the two characters could see the figure, usually we would see the character slowly turn his head, but this cliche was expertly dodged. The acting in this movie was hit or miss, at some points I felt convinced that these weren't character but real people and at some points it felt like I was watching a primary school rendition of 1408. The beautiful Sara Paxton played Claire (pictured on the right), I found this character very enjoyable to watch and she was a character that I could really relate to, her reactions didn't seemed forced, but at some point they felt tame and predictable. Luke was played by the very funny Pat Healy who reminded me of the British comedy icon mon Pegg, he added great comic relief to an already funny film.

The scares in the film were scarce but still effective. WARNING: DO NOT WATCH THE TRAILER! The trailer gives away all the scares (apart from one). So I would not recommend watching if if you want to be scared and surprised. Is this film scary? i hear you ask, well, moderately. There are a few scary scenes that are total ineffective but there are many that linger and stay with you after viewing the movie (He's behind you!). I would like to say that I think the make-up depart did a great job, the face of the female ghost will now be burnt into my retinas for nights to come...THANK YOU!

The ending...Oh, the ending...what a tragic ght. I had heard the ending was not great, but i wasn't expecting it to be that shite! It was a complete let down and I don't understand how Ti West could let this happen, WHY TI !? WHY!? The ending unfortunately ruined this nearly great movie for me, a complete letdown...

I would give this film a C+. Overall, I think it was a fairly creepy haunted house film with some great

comedic moments but was letdown by its failed abortion of an ending. Dont get me wrong, this film is defiantly CK but the ending was utter SHIT just like the french horror flick High Tenon.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Check us out on: Twitter:

https://twitter.com/#!/CKSHIThorror Facebook:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/CKorSHI ... 3212346494 Youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/user/CKorSHIThorror

Check this specific review out at

http://soshorror.blogspot.com/2012/02/i ... r-you.html
Aroesti Monday 2/13/2012 at 08:31 PM | 90421
SPOLIER ALERT!!!!!Hopefully I'm not ruining the ending for anyone, an id I am you should have read the first two words of my reply.

I think the ending is perfect! I just think it's not interpreted correctly and that's why so many people loathe it. Claire isn't killed by Madeline O'Malloy, in fact I'm not even sure that their is a ghostly veron of Madeline O'Malley. Throughout the film, Claire gets herself so worked up over the idea of the Inn being haunted. By the time the movie climaxes she actually believes that she see's a ghost which causes her to get so worked up that she has a stress induced asthma attack which turns deadly without her inhaler. I think so many people miss this. Claire used the inhaler throughout the entire movie. It was a key element in the story that most people just overlooked.
Anonymous Tuesday 2/14/2012 at 04:10 AM | 90437