Forums Horror Movie Reviews
The Girl Next Door....This Ain't Your Elisha Cuthbert Movie Either

Hello and a splendid St. Patrick's Day to everyone. I've been postponing this review long enough, and what can I say Jack Ketchum's The Girl Next Door is an insanely intense movie that is both provoking and haunting. The Girl Next Door is based on Jack Ketchum's novel from 1989 which is loosely based on the murder of Sylvia Likens by Gertrude Baniszewski during the summer of 1965. The film opens up with William Atherton plays David (Walter Peck from Ghostbusters) a groomed, older-looking busniess man leaving his place of employment only to witness a homeless person get hit by a car in a hit-and-run. David begins a voice-over monologue about what real pain is.The movie then flashes back to 1958 with David meeting the girl of his dreams, Meg at a creek. The film has a real great atmosphere as to capturing the sense of time and in the era when kids rarely questioned what they were told. Stephen King's quote on the DVD cover is not off when he says, "The first authentically shocking American film I've seen nce Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer over 20 years ago. If you are ealy disturbed, you should not watch this movie. If, on the other hand, you are prepared for a long look into hell, suburban style, The Girl Next Door will not disappoint. This is the dark-de-of-the-moon veron of Stand By Me."

This is one of my first reviews, and it pains me to no end to not "spoil" this movie for anyone who has a hope of checking it out.

Girl Next Door is not by any means a conventional horror movie, but it follows with the material and fiber of murder that I think it's best categorized here. The main premise of the movie is David likes Meg. Meg, along with her disabled ster are forced to live with their abuve Aunt Ruth.David is constantly at ends of what to do. Ruth is his neighbor, not to mention his best friends mom. The film builds up copious amounts of intrigue and investment wondering not only if, but when the monstrous behavior will stop. I really recommend this film, be warned though, it's not for the faint hearted. It's a very grounded and bittersweet story that is unlike most films out today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=typY725pjZ4
themorguethemerrier Saturday 3/17/2012 at 09:22 PM | 91509