Forums Horror Movie Reviews
Sinister *SPOILER FREE* Review

nister Review

This was a movie I was looking forward to nce I heard about it, a demon tale from the makers of Paranormal and INDIOUS =D I mean who wasn’t excited right? Once the trailer popped up, it looked like a very good, very scary horror film. The trailer alone was enough to give me the creeps. Then I started hearing great things about this movie, how it is just as scary as INDIOUS, the best horror movie this year. So I was at the point were I was just SUPER excited to see it. Honestly thinking it was going to be the next INDIOUS.

I wish I could say it was, however the film fell short of the great things I heard. I felt as if this was the last hope for a good scary movie this Halloween, or actually this year. I don’t think Paranormal is going to be very good. (I hated the 3rd one) and I know lent Hill wont be scary at all. I just LOVE lent Hill.

The movie starts off proming, it feels like a good story is coming our way. One that will be filled with plenty of scares. Wrong.

Im not going to say this movie was all bad, it had its moments. It felt like it was going to be worth the slow build up. The atmosphere was good, it had some creepy moments to it. A few jump scares (in unparticular that scared the shit out of me) but it lacked that overwhelming dread that made INDIOUS so great. I didn’t get any creepy, spine tingling, scenes. It was just a few jump scares, I sat there and tried preparing myself for something, thinking it was about to start getting intense. It just left me saying, “that’s it”

To me it had that, Devil Inde effect. As its supposed to get really good…it ends.

The best thing about this movie is the found footage, it kind of sets the tone. They were very well done, and could have been interesting more by them selves. They had a nice little mystery kind of thing going on, but it was generic to me. I felt like I had seen it in Amityville Horror, Haunting in Connecticut…and all in all that’s what this movie felt like.

It also had four characters to center around, and it really only let you get to know Ethan Hawk. This whole family is being effected in small ways, yet we really don’t get any build on them. They are just the background characters that added realism to the film. I think it would have been scarier to see how the entire family was effected, and see the gradual transformation leading up to the end.

Another thing that let me down was, Bagul (the demon) wasn’t very scary. As in, he didn’t do much in this movie. Actually…im not sure he really did anything.

So anyone going into this movie, expecting the next big horror movie. Don’t get your hopes up to high. Its no more than another veron Amityville, actually a less scary veron.

Overall, if they would have done a little more with the film…I think it could have been more scary. But what could have been a very unsettling demon flick, turn out flat. I don’t feel we got enough of how the entire family was effected, and I don’t think Bagul was able to really become scary. He was just menacing honestly, and why they tried, they didn’t live up to either Paranormal or INDIOUS

Just because it was a decent story, and had its moments I give this film a 6.5 rating.
JohnCorley92 Saturday 10/13/2012 at 04:05 PM | 97022
I loved the way they didn't show Bagul much. They left him mysterious, unknown. It was more unsettling because you really don't know who this guy is!

And getting super Hype for any horror movie is usually enough to set you over the edge and let you down. I was SO pumped for this movie, and I realized I was probably too excited, and that I wouldn't enjoy it and then I went in and was very pleased. I thought it had a sort of Ti West feeling slow burn going on. A nice build up with some jump scares to keep your attention and then rounding it out (maybe not with an over the top and in your face sort of ending) with a very unsettling feeling.

Also there were a bunch of small children in the theater with me and I was profoundly upset about it.
nolifefan Monday 10/15/2012 at 02:53 AM | 97048
I loved the way they didn't show Bagul much. They left him mysterious, unknown. It was more unsettling because you really don't know who this guy is!

And getting super Hype for any horror movie is usually enough to set you over the edge and let you down. I was SO pumped for this movie, and I realized I was probably too excited, and that I wouldn't enjoy it and then I went in and was very pleased. I thought it had a sort of Ti West feeling slow burn going on. A nice build up with some jump scares to keep your attention and then rounding it out (maybe not with an over the top and in your face sort of ending) with a very unsettling feeling.

Also there were a bunch of small children in the theater with me and I was profoundly upset about it.

Yeah i know what you mean, i was surrounded by annoying teenagers -.- My theatre upset me, but thats bedes the point. They had the screen still set up for 3d movies, and it was too dark...i dunno

Its not that i was expecting the best movie ever, i was just expecting an intense movie. Something like INDIOUS. But i felt like the movie never got good, it gave you bits and pieces of something good...but it never really went all out at us. Like i stated in my review, i felt that when there chance to get intense happened...they ended it =/

I know alot of people really liked this movie, ive seen alot of great reviews. I just think not enough happened, and instead of assulting us with scares...they just kept giving us more and more story with hardly any scares to it

I dunno, i was just very disappointed. It wasnt a horrible movie,it just wasnt scary. This is strictly my opinion tho. I know you seemed to have liked it. Im glad you enjoyed it, i for one hope they do not try a sequel
JohnCorley92 Monday 10/15/2012 at 04:04 AM | 97051
Ive heard alot of great hype about this film and im for sure going to buy it on dvd when it comes out.I thought about going to the theatre and seeing it but ive already been there a bunch this year and nce money is tight I figured id just wait on the dvd.
horrorlord Thursday 10/25/2012 at 04:41 AM | 97406
I definitely agree about not having a sequel. I don't want any more. I was left unsatisfied and that's one of my favorite things about some movies. A lot of really great horror movies really just leave you with a sense that the story is far from over. Or they end in such a way that you really just wish that it had all turned out differently and every time you watch it, you hope for it to turn out right and then it never does.

I relate it to the Romantic idea of negative capability. There's satisfaction in not being satisfied. It's just like real life. There's hardly ever closure in the real world. But hope keeps us going.
nolifefan Thursday 10/25/2012 at 06:03 AM | 97407
I definitely agree about not having a sequel. I don't want any more. I was left unsatisfied and that's one of my favorite things about some movies. A lot of really great horror movies really just leave you with a sense that the story is far from over. Or they end in such a way that you really just wish that it had all turned out differently and every time you watch it, you hope for it to turn out right and then it never does.

I relate it to the Romantic idea of negative capability. There's satisfaction in not being satisfied. It's just like real life. There's hardly ever closure in the real world. But hope keeps us going.

In no way do i want or expect a cookie cutter ending that sums everything up and leaves you feeling better about what you watched =p I think that regardless if you get all the answeres or concluon you are hoping for, that an unsatisfying ending is sometimes the greatest thing.

Youre theory of negative capability is spot on, but to me this wasnt the problem with this movie. If this was the ending but it was a very intense and scary movie through out i would have loved it. It would have made the film more dark and disturbing to me...but after a rather boring movie i figured that the ending was going to be intense and worth the wait. So it just wasnt a pay off for me, the problem with this film lies with the fact that its boring. That nothing scary really happens, not with its negative ending =)
JohnCorley92 Monday 10/29/2012 at 05:32 PM | 97490
I thought it had a sort of Ti West feeling slow burn going on. I definitely agree. It's there the whole time! Probably why I liked it so much.
nolifefan Tuesday 11/20/2012 at 02:32 PM | 97981
I thought it had a sort of Ti West feeling slow burn going on. I definitely agree. It's there the whole time! Probably why I liked it so much.

That is very true, it did have a slow burning effect. Which is nice.

Its sad to say this was the best horror movie of the year this year, 2012 was the worst year for horror i think. I really hope 2013 turns it around for the better LoL

Speaking of Ti West, i was more interested, and in more suspense in The Inkeepers than i was during this movie. I really hope he gets a big project soon that blows up for him. I think he can do some great things with the horror genre.
JohnCorley92 Tuesday 11/20/2012 at 03:08 PM | 97982

Its sad to say this was the best horror movie of the year this year, 2012 was the worst year for horror i think. I really hope 2013 turns it around for the better LoL

Speaking of Ti West, i was more interested, and in more suspense in The Inkeepers than i was during this movie. I really hope he gets a big project soon that blows up for him. I think he can do some great things with the horror genre.

I loved The Innkeepers. It, too, left me slightly unsatisfied, there were a lot of unanswered questions and things that were maybe answered in questionable ways.

The sad

thing is, Ti West seems to be very open to the idea of selling out. I've read several interviews with him in which he says that if one of the big companies offered him a big project, but he had to play it by their rules, he'd play it by their rules and get it done. The thing is, if I were a big company, I'd hire him and give him complete control. Why have Ti West at all if he's not going to do his thing, right?
nolifefan Tuesday 11/20/2012 at 08:48 PM | 97987
I actually liked this movie. I know a lot of people showed a lot of hate, but I really liked it.
Anonymous Tuesday 11/20/2012 at 09:48 PM | 97992
totally 100% for sure.
nolifefan Tuesday 11/20/2012 at 10:32 PM | 97993

I loved The Innkeepers. It, too, left me slightly unsatisfied, there were a lot of unanswered questions and things that were maybe answered in questionable ways.

The sad

thing is, Ti West seems to be very open to the idea of selling out. I've read several interviews with him in which he says that if one of the big companies offered him a big project, but he had to play it by their rules, he'd play it by their rules and get it done. The thing is, if I were a big company, I'd hire him and give him complete control. Why have Ti West at all if he's not going to do his thing, right?

Yeah, that is sad. It sucks when the big companies try to change people and ideas. I do believe however that if he did sell out, that eventually he would have fun creative control. It would be like a stepping stone ya know??
JohnCorley92 Wednesday 11/21/2012 at 12:54 AM | 97996
I actually liked this movie. I know a lot of people showed a lot of hate, but I really liked it.

You sound like my brother =p

He is actually rather upset that i dont like this movie. Trust me, i wanted to.
JohnCorley92 Wednesday 11/21/2012 at 12:55 AM | 97997
Yeah, that is sad. It sucks when the big companies try to change people and ideas. I do believe however that if he did sell out, that eventually he would have fun creative control. It would be like a stepping stone ya know??

I think it would be very hard for Ti West to shake his roots. He's so talented in that way, and very distinct. Idiosyncratic.
nolifefan Wednesday 11/21/2012 at 03:16 AM | 98002