Forums Horror Movie News
Big News: WAXWORK To Be Rebooted - Info Within!

Bringing you the best in Horror Movie News, and all things Horror.

A Horror classic that often slips through the cracks is something that is fun to stumble upon every now and then. One such film that doesn't get the due that it truly deserves is Anthony Hickox's 1988 movie WAXWORK. It told the story of how a wax museum owner releases evil by way of his wax figures which offered a lot of possibilities and fun for us as an audience.

We have learned that LOST AFTER DARK director Ian Kessner, along with screenwriter Bo Ransdell are currently developing a reboot for WAXWORK. The two recently spoke with Nerd Report saying:

“Right now we’re working on a couple of other horror projects. One of them is a reboot of the ‘80s classic Waxwork,” said Kessner.

“I would love to see Waxwork get some legs under it,” adds Ransdell, who eludes to the fact that this is very early in the development stage. Although, he reveals they do in face have the support of the original film’s director. “I think we’ve got a real fun take on that and actually have the blessing of Anthony Hickox who wrote and directed the original so we’re not just doing fan fiction. We can see a path to this getting made potentially and I would love to see that happen for sure.”

When asked about if this new version would have any ties with Madame Tussauds, Ransdell says:

“Not directly but all wax figures are weird and creepy. I don’t necessarily care where they arise from. They’re just all unsettling to me.”

Kessner adds:

“It’s got a Something Wicked This Way Comes vibe where the waxwork appears in town overnight. It’s really fun. It’s also an opportunity for us to play in a whole bunch of horror genres, kind of an anthology where the characters keep falling into these different vignettes or the different worlds where they tackle different horror tropes, and they tackle the best parts of it, the climax. So it’s really fun for us if we get to make it because we get to explore all these different genres within the horror, sort of like Cabin in the Woods.”

1988's WAXWORK starred Zach Galligan, Deborah Foreman, Michelle Johnson, Dana Ashbrook, and David Warner.

Original synopsis:

"Inside the wax museum, a group of teenagers are aghast at the hauntingly lifelike wax displays of Dracula, the Wolfman, the Mummy, and other charter members of the horror Hall of Fame. Eash display is perfectly grotesque, yet each is missing one thing... a victim! Admission to the Waxwork was free, but now they may pay with their lives! One by one, the students are drawn into the settings as objects of the blood-thirsty creatures. They are now part of the permanent collection."

We will continue to follow the WAXWORK reboot as it unfolds.
Horror Domain - Cursed Evil Overlord Wednesday 9/02/2015 at 03:59 PM | 103583