Forums Horror Movie Talk
Suspense vs. Gore

Ok... so we're all horror fans, but what aspect of horror films do you like to see the most: Suspense or Gore?

Personally. I prefer the suspense, because that's what makes horror movies scary! But everyone is different... so I'm interested in hearing your opinions.
Myers31TKD Sunday 1/20/2008 at 11:36 PM | 793
I would have to agree. suspense.
RickyTheShape Monday 1/21/2008 at 12:01 AM | 795
I'd love to see a fine mix of both. I prefer the suspence though. I laugh when I hear people say how the 80's horror was nothing but gore and movies like Saw are filled with suspence. To me most of the movies these days relies way more on gore then anythign else to make it "horror"
cropsy Monday 1/21/2008 at 12:39 AM | 804
I'd love to see a fine mix of both. I prefer the suspence though. I laugh when I hear people say how the 80's horror was nothing but gore and movies like Saw are filled with suspence. To me most of the movies these days relies way more on gore then anythign else to make it "horror"

I also thing it's best with both, but if I had to say what makes horror movies scary... it would be the suspense. I only wish that today's filmmakers knew what makes a good scare, as well as what the real fans want.
Myers31TKD Monday 1/21/2008 at 01:07 AM | 808
Ok... so we're all horror fans, but what aspect of horror films do you like to see the most: Suspense or Gore?

Personally. I prefer the suspense, because that's what makes horror movies scary! But everyone is different... so I'm interested in hearing your opinions. I say a ton of suspense then gore to the max and more suspense. I don't think there is such a thing as too much gore just not enough suspense. Well hostel was pretty gore but it didnt have a great story line imo.

I still liked the movie though.
quietonthesetstudios Monday 1/21/2008 at 03:03 AM | 815
I'm a gore hound... gore is always fun. But I also say a good mixture of both is full of win.
GrampaGruesome Monday 1/21/2008 at 08:08 AM | 826
Suspense all the way.

-s

Scottie Monday 1/21/2008 at 09:22 PM | 852
Have to go with suspense too.

Gore can be in a variety of films like action movies but it doesnt really scare me, but when you use suspense (no matter what genre) you start to get that nervous twitch.
lifesizedesigns Tuesday 1/22/2008 at 01:31 AM | 880
Have to go with suspense too.

Gore can be in a variety of films like action movies but it doesnt really scare me, but when you use suspense (no matter what genre) you start to get that nervous twitch.

Yeah... It's all about what scares people. After all, isn't that the main idea of real horror movies? I mean sure... if someone is brutally murdered and you're going to show it on camera, you'll need gore. But it's just as effective for initial the scare if it happens off-camera (although I'd rather see it). I just think that suspense is more important, in horror films, than gore.But gore does kick ass! 8-)
Myers31TKD Tuesday 1/22/2008 at 06:12 AM | 927
The original Halloween... to me.. has always stood the test of time when it comes to the level of suspense and gore. There really wasn't ANY gore at all... but it still scared the Jeebus outta you.
GrampaGruesome Tuesday 1/22/2008 at 09:16 AM | 951
The original Halloween... to me.. has always stood the test of time when it comes to the level of suspense and gore. There really wasn't ANY gore at all... but it still scared the Jeebus outta you.

That's what I mean. It's the prime example of my entire point. Hitchcock too.

Myers31TKD Tuesday 1/22/2008 at 09:38 AM | 953
I prefer suspense, but I think some amount of gore is needed.
Michael Aspinwall Tuesday 1/22/2008 at 05:33 PM | 971
Suspense, all the way. I like a good gorefest just as much as anyone, but there is just something about a properly planned suspense rollercoaster. -G.
t-doyle Tuesday 1/22/2008 at 10:00 PM | 991
Suspense Wins
Matthew Mayhem Wednesday 1/23/2008 at 02:08 PM | 1037
I have to say, there have been a few films where there was little or no suspense but it still managed to freak me out. Cannibal Holocaust is the best example I can give. The gore effects were very brutal and shockingly realistic. I still don't know what I think about that movie. All I know is that I HATED the animal death scenes. But yeah...
Myers31TKD Wednesday 1/23/2008 at 07:03 PM | 1075
Realism is very creepy
Matthew Mayhem Thursday 1/24/2008 at 09:47 PM | 1139
Realism is very creepy

Yep. And stuff that was really far fetched never really bothered me when I was young. Things that did were always things that sounded like they could actually happen, like zombies, a posessed little girl, vampires, and above all...Michael Myers. Halloween II was the first movie that made me scared of a song (Mr. Sandman).
Myers31TKD Thursday 1/24/2008 at 10:52 PM | 1153
Glad somebody is scared

Matthew Mayhem Friday 1/25/2008 at 12:03 AM | 1167
You've got to be scared of something... it's unhuman if you're not. After all, what then would be the point of watching a horror movie?
Myers31TKD Friday 1/25/2008 at 05:35 AM | 1197
I guess I am inhuman then as no horror movie scares me.
cropsy Friday 1/25/2008 at 02:49 PM | 1219
I guess I am inhuman then as no horror movie scares me.

Well sure, like alot of us you've watched so many, so many times, that they just don't scared you anymore. But there have to be some moment that has scared you in a movie. And bedes, if you aren't scared by them... then what's the fun in watching?
Myers31TKD Friday 1/25/2008 at 08:37 PM | 1232