Forums Horror Movie Talk
Twilight: Not Vampires, Not Werewolves

I got into a debate this morning with a friend of mine who is a Twilight fan. Now don't get me wrong, I have said that I enjoy watching Twilight but just the same it irks me how it's destroyed the vion of the vampire and the ridiculous teenage girl following. So I wrote a short blog on it:

Vampire movies have been around nce the early 1920's. Nosferatu, I believe, started it all in 1922. Then came Dracula with Bela Lugo and after that a continual string of Dracula and vampire movies starring the likes of Christopher Lee and Frank Langella. For over 80 years vampires have been a much feared creature in cinema. And then came Twilight, where vampires now sparkle in sunlight, wear too much hair gel and make up, and for some reason do not have fangs. How and why would you change such an iconic character to become so....feminine? Teenagers. Because teenagers live in a world where they believe this perfect romance awaits them and a vampire makes it that much better. Well excuse me, but for the last 80+ years their mison has been to drain the life force out of us humans. Now they're are such a pansy they won't go out in sunlight because they sparkle? And all of a sudden they are hospitable to some human their brother "loves"? Come on! Yes, sometimes a character needs something new added to the mix and change can be good but how is it for 80+ years vampires have been nearly the same way and now they are almost no different than us? You don't just change something like that. That's why us horror fans take offense to it. Why not throw a tutu on Michael Myers or give Jason Voorhees a tux. Vampires and werewolves have been around nearly a century and you have to make them sparkly and romantic for them to catch on? Pop cultutre has stolen something from the horror community, flipped it on it's stomach and raped it dry. Now vampires are sadly a part of pop culture with the Twilight movies and these ridiculous TV shows portraying vampires as these docile creatures. It's not right. A true vampire should be ruthless and bloodsucking, not some overly beautified young guy who sparkles and doesn't even have fangs.
DrenTheLiar Saturday 11/28/2009 at 03:31 PM | 58590
I got into a debate this morning with a friend of mine who is a Twilight fan. Now don't get me wrong, I have said that I enjoy watching Twilight but just the same it irks me how it's destroyed the vion of the vampire and the ridiculous teenage girl following. So I wrote a short blog on it:

Vampire movies have been around nce the early 1920's. Nosferatu, I believe, started it all in 1922. Then came Dracula with Bela Lugo and after that a continual string of Dracula and vampire movies starring the likes of Christopher Lee and Frank Langella. For over 80 years vampires have been a much feared creature in cinema. And then came Twilight, where vampires now sparkle in sunlight, wear too much hair gel and make up, and for some reason do not have fangs. How and why would you change such an iconic character to become so....feminine? Teenagers. Because teenagers live in a world where they believe this perfect romance awaits them and a vampire makes it that much better. Well excuse me, but for the last 80+ years their mison has been to drain the life force out of us humans. Now they're are such a pansy they won't go out in sunlight because they sparkle? And all of a sudden they are hospitable to some human their brother "loves"? Come on! Yes, sometimes a character needs something new added to the mix and change can be good but how is it for 80+ years vampires have been nearly the same way and now they are almost no different than us? You don't just change something like that. That's why us horror fans take offense to it. Why not throw a tutu on Michael Myers or give Jason Voorhees a tux. Vampires and werewolves have been around nearly a century and you have to make them sparkly and romantic for them to catch on? Pop cultutre has stolen something from the horror community, flipped it on it's stomach and raped it dry. Now vampires are sadly a part of pop culture with the Twilight movies and these ridiculous TV shows portraying vampires as these docile creatures. It's not right. A true vampire should be ruthless and bloodsucking, not some overly beautified young guy who sparkles and doesn't even have fangs.

Well said!

Death to the tweeny vampires. Death to Buffy, the bitch that started all this garbage.

El Diablo Saturday 11/28/2009 at 04:54 PM | 58593
At least Buffy wasn't a whiny good-for-nothing one-dimenonal shell of a person.

Except for in season 6.

Seriously, Buffy kicked real vampire ass.
oldskool Saturday 11/28/2009 at 04:56 PM | 58594
If I said it once.. I said it a 100 times....

BrandyWine Saturday 11/28/2009 at 06:08 PM | 58597
The same post was put up on MM.net so I'll just my same reply:

Well it could also be viewed like this...everything is relative. My uncle who is a HUGE old school (Universal, Hammer etc) horror fan cringed at movies like Coppola's DRACULA; INTERVIEW WITH THE VAMPIRE; LOST BOYS and more ting the fact that to him they were wimpy and "gay" compared to the guys he loved...namely Christopher Lee and his brethren of horror. Getting to TWILIGHT.... first off I thought the werewolves were cool. Very milar to the native american werewolves of the awesome WOLFEN film. I have no complaints there. Now onto the TWILIGHT vamps. The Cullens are not my choice in style of vampire. They've chosen to try and blend in with society and co-exist with humans. (just like some in TRUE BLOOD) so while Meyer wimped out there I don't see a problem with the rogue vamps like Victoria and her crew who while they dont have the fangs of old DO rip their victims apart and drink their blood. Also the vampire council "The Volturi" (dont know if I spelled it correct) are definately old school Victorian Era style vampires. I think what Stephanie Meyer did was write a book that was AGE oriented. That kids (like mine and millions of others) could read without their parents worrying about too much sex and violence. I was raised on horror and have definately introduced my kids to the wonderful world of the macabre but I have chosen not to show them many films because they are too violent. As the years progress I notice that there are not too many films that younger kids can see. They are too violent and over the top.

In the 80's we had many cool horror/thriller movies that kids were able to enjoy.....MONSTER SQUAD; GREMLINS; GOONIES; CRITTERS; etc. What do kids of the late 90's/2000's have? not much by way of horror.

Is TWILIGHT horror? no. But it can serve as a gateway to it. I'd rather my kids be into Jacob and his wolf crew than some shitty mtv hip hop movie about fast cars. My older son who will be 10 soon was made fun of for wearing a TWILIGHT shirt to school. A kid told him it was gay because of Edward. Meanwhile my son was like wtf? He was all about Bella!

Maybe its cuz Im older but I dont think there is a problem with books and movies being made that are targeted towards a teen or female audience. Theres more than a plethora of sex and violence and blood to keep the hounds at bay!

SO Edward glitters! so they dont have fangs! Give credit where its due...rather than go the "remake" way and rip off other films the author added her own take on the vampire myth.

Also, TWILIGHT was never intended to be "horror" and as far as pop culture taking over the vampire myth I remember back in the 90's when FFC's DRACULA came out everyone and their mother's uncle was wearing a t shirt or pin that they bought from the DRACULA display from Macy's of all places.
ny ghoul Sunday 11/29/2009 at 12:27 AM | 58604
I hate to break it to you Dren but Lugo never wore fangs...neither did Langella (as an homage to Lugo). I
lblambert Sunday 11/29/2009 at 01:00 AM | 58607
I hate to break it to you Dren but Lugo never wore fangs...neither did Langella (as an homage to Lugo). I

Even beyond that, you see my point right? Vampire have become this teen idol thing.
DrenTheLiar Sunday 11/29/2009 at 02:14 AM | 58608

Even beyond that, you see my point right? Vampire have become this teen idol thing.

I dont get this crusade.....when has it never been in some sense? I am not seeing the point of your arguement. From Bram Stoker and on the vampire has more often than not been presented as the rake. How do you not see this?
ny ghoul Sunday 11/29/2009 at 03:22 AM | 58609
This is my two cents but If I want to watch a vampire movie, then I will watch a real vampire movie.

If I want to watch a teen drama, then I will watch 90210 or other such non-sense.

But don't try to tell me that a teen drama dressed up with sparkley vampires is anything but a teen drama.
BIGKen Sunday 11/29/2009 at 04:40 AM | 58610
This is my two cents but If I want to watch a vampire movie, then I will watch a real vampire movie.

If I want to watch a teen drama, then I will watch 90210 or other such non-sense.

But don't try to tell me that a teen drama dressed up with sparkley vampires is anything but a teen drama.

thats exactly what it is....a teen drama with "vampires" and "werewolves" thrown in. Not horror.
ny ghoul Sunday 11/29/2009 at 05:32 AM | 58611
I am just amazed at how outraged people get over what really was degned for teens. So it isn't Salems Lot and Lost Boys and so on or the old style dracula....It is a NEW vion and honestly with everyone crying about remakes as much as I am not into Twilight I see it as an "Origional" thought and I really can't fault anyone making them when they make the cash they do.
cropsy Monday 11/30/2009 at 11:18 PM | 58657
I am just amazed at how outraged people get over what really was degned for teens. So it isn't Salems Lot and Lost Boys and so on or the old style dracula....It is a NEW vion and honestly with everyone crying about remakes as much as I am not into Twilight I see it as an "Origional" thought and I really can't fault anyone making them when they make the cash they do.

Bitch got rich, Thats for sure. Cant fault her for dreaming up something so stupid and people loving it...I agree with you on the Original thing vs a remake, but did you see the Wolfman trailer.
Matthew Mayhem Wednesday 12/02/2009 at 05:39 AM | 58706
I saw it but have honestly forgotten most of it just cause I have lost faith in it right now with all the changes.
cropsy Thursday 12/03/2009 at 12:56 AM | 58733
I saw it but have honestly forgotten most of it just cause I have lost faith in it right now with all the changes.

yeah bro...I'll go see it but all mucal chairs going on makes me nervous.
ny ghoul Thursday 12/03/2009 at 04:18 AM | 58738