I just got back from the midnight showing of "The Wolfman". I'll start off by saying... this movie is well worth the price of admison. I'll keep this brief, as it's 2:30 in the morning right now.

My favorite thing about this movie has to be the look of the fully transformed wolfman. Seeing that updated veron of my endeared clasc creature mauling and slashing it's way through it's path was exhilarating, and always kept a smile on my face. Seriously... I was smiling every time he was on the screen. They kept a lot of clasc elements, which I liked as a big fan of the original. Also there was no letting up on the gore in this picture, which in my opinion, is another big plus. The violence was necessary, and really helped showcase the beast's power and ferocity. He was freaking vicious! Anthony Hopkins was phenomenal, as always. The rest of the cast was good as well. An excellent job was done to achieve a good atmosphere for this movie. Elfman's score fit well, as it was not overdone (which I had feared). Really, the only gripes I had were about a few things done in CGI that I felt may not have been necessary (but I tend to almost always feel this way about newer films). Again... go see this movie and if you like werewolves, you should enjoy it.
Myers31TKD Friday 2/12/2010 at 06:41 AM | 61614
very well written myers31tkd, good review. i hope to put my full one up when i get up tomorrow. late her on the east coast.

i will say this. i really enjoyed the movie but it could have used more de boob.
pamelavoorheesRIP Friday 2/12/2010 at 06:49 AM | 61615
Great review Patrick!

Sorry for making you jump the page guys but the code doesn't drag over ealy.
href="http://www.horrorbid.com/blog/blog1.php/2010/02/12/the-wolfman-remake-review">http://www.horrorbid.com/blog/blog1.php ... ake-review

Horror Domain - Cursed Evil Overlord Friday 2/12/2010 at 09:10 PM | 61660
We are leaving in 10 minutes to go see the wolfy!

I can't wait!

~XOXO Sara
*Horror_Chick* Saturday 2/13/2010 at 01:51 AM | 61677
Movie was ok they could stayed on the gore/bodies for a second longer and probably could have used being trimmed down a little bit but it was all right

I really liked how the wolfman mooed instead of howled
DWN Productions Saturday 2/13/2010 at 06:16 PM | 61701
Finally a wolfman much like the original who turns and just brings it! Yea there are a lot of blood and guts but that just adds to the charm and entertainment value to this flick. This is a welcomed diveron from the current vampire movies. Many times surpring and often suspenseful, this is the stuff us horror movie buffs love. Great special effects and very entertaining. The knock on this movie is it does not develop the characters. And that is true. I wish we could have learned a little more about them but still a great movie.

~XOXO Sara
*Horror_Chick* Saturday 2/13/2010 at 06:39 PM | 61703
I'll see it Monday and I can't wait. I like the reviews here thus far but a good friend of mine whose opinion I respect hated it due to the cg graphics. He described the movie like watching a video game. Any complaints or comments on the fx?
ny ghoul Sunday 2/14/2010 at 05:58 AM | 61729
I'll see it Monday and I can't wait. I like the reviews here thus far but a good friend of mine whose opinion I respect hated it due to the cg graphics. He described the movie like watching a video game. Any complaints or comments on the fx?

I'll say this to not ruin a lot of the movie but yes and no. I thought it was a good blend of both. One particular scene involving a bear I thought didn't need to be CGI but I don't act with bears, LOL! So maybe it did. That took me out of the mood for a moment. Other than that, the transformation scenes I thought were fantastically (is that a word?) done. Couple of close up face shots of the wolf towards the end got a little cartoony (again I don't think that's a word) but overall I give them an A for the effects. Rick Baker's FX work, just amazing, obviously the guy is a magician.

Hope that helps....some.
Horror Domain - Cursed Evil Overlord Sunday 2/14/2010 at 06:22 AM | 61732
Yes, the CGI was the only thing I walked away from the movie having a real problem with. I agree Justin, that the transformation scenes were well done. Still, imagine how cool it would have been had it been all real makeup effects. As you said, Rick Baker is a magician, so why not let him do what he does best? Those scenes were fine, though. It was the CGI animals that I had the problem with. I've seen a lot of people comment on that nce this movie was released.

People point out the lack of character development as well, which I guess should be done, if you are really critiquing the movie as a whole. I didn't really care about that as much with this film nce I had a lot of fun (which is exactly what I wanted to do going in).
Myers31TKD Sunday 2/14/2010 at 06:04 PM | 61753
What do you need in a movie about werewolves? Top of the line special effects? Check. Blood, guts and violence galore? Check. A dark, gray overtone to the whole film? Check. Good soundtrack, Danny Elfman, check. Scenes that make you jump out of your seat? Check. Ok, sounds good to me. The only downde is the acting is somewhat distant from Benicio Del Toro, who I think is a very good actor.
oldskool Sunday 2/14/2010 at 06:17 PM | 61754
I dug this flick..it was spectacular.

Plenty of gore, plenty of story, and stayed true to the original(don't worry I'm not an elitest that bitches every time something's redone).

Indeed a must see for aaaaaaaaany horror fan.

Benicio or whatever it's spelled..has a striking resemblence to Lon Chaney, which played out great for the movie. The story was awesome, and just a great flick. I may see it again just for the principle.
zmbgraphics Sunday 2/14/2010 at 08:39 PM | 61758
Ok great! the reviews are sounding awesome! I can't wait to go, as my weekend at the movies was spent seeing THE LIGHTNING THIEF with my kids. It was a fun movie, but hard to t through while the room next door is screening THE WOLFMAN!
ny ghoul Monday 2/15/2010 at 04:03 PM | 61782
i like the part where's he's dancing on the roof of the truck to the Beach Boys
Fred55x Tuesday 2/16/2010 at 04:10 AM | 61822
I thought the Wolfman was excellent. I've heard alot of people say it was average, or not even good. Well those people have no idea what their talking about. I don't think they could have cast anyone better than Del Toro, (quite a difference from Dr. Gonzo) , but he did a great job. Joe Johnston did an excellent job directing, to be honest I was not convinced he would do it any justice, that is until I saw it. The film was very reminicent and true to the original, and I loved the films blue/gray atmosphere, along with Elfman's score, that made it have that eerie, creepy Universal, Burtonesqe feel. I have only one complaint, I wish they didn't open the film with the famous quote, they could have fit it into the dialogue. But all in all it was great, much needed for the genera, and a film all involved should be proud of. Skubis
Skubis Friday 2/19/2010 at 12:53 PM | 61972
FINALLY......saw the film! Del Toro was amazing...brooding. GREAT job. The whole cast was spectacular from Benicio to Anthony Hopkins to Emily Blunt and the awesome Hugo Weaving (the next wolfman?) I loved the whole film except for the father son fight at the end. Lots of fog, gore, it was fun.

I give it a 7/10. btw did anyone find Elfman's soundtrack to be very milar at times to that of Copolla's DRACULA?
ny ghoul Tuesday 2/23/2010 at 06:30 PM | 62164
I just saw this movie, and I had been expecting a lot but I must say I was very disappointed. Instead of building suspense it relies on shocks and effects. There is really nothing to the story. Hopkins is great as always, playing a sort of Hannibal monster role again, and he has a few great Shakespearian lines. Also I really liked some individual scenes but the whole movie put together is really not that good. The female lead has about as much charisma as a hamster, and none of the other actors, except for the Jack the Ripper-hunter and policeman and Hopkins distinguish themselves in any way. All things condered, a great disappointment. Moreover, is this 2010? Surely CGI can be used much better than in this movie. "Avatar" uses CGI much, much better. Anyway, I guess the movie is worth seeing for fantasy-fans, and one can, of course, make up one's own mind whether he or she likes it or not.
lencemark Tuesday 6/22/2010 at 11:30 AM | 64698