I'm not at all fond of the idea of remaking good movies... but there have been a few that have worked. There are even fewer films that have turned out as good or even better than the original. My question to you is, what is the best example of a remake that you liked more than the original?

The only one I can think of is John Carpenter's The Thing. I ended up liking it more than the original "The Thing From Another World".
Myers31TKD Tuesday 1/22/2008 at 03:55 AM | 898
My question to you is, what is the best example of a remake that you liked more than the original? I really like the way you asked this question.

Justin and I got our feet wet with re-make topics on horrorbid's myspace.

Needless to say we learned very quickly that there are VERY different views on horror remakes and some are very pasonate about this topic.

So many have been remade; The Shining, The Fog, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Halloween,

The Ring, The Grudge, The Amityville Horror, Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead, The Omen, House on Haunted Hill, and so on.

I'd have to say my favorite is Evil Dead 2.

Some might argue this is a sequel but it's really a remake of the lower budgeted Evil Dead for all purposes.
DaShape Tuesday 1/22/2008 at 08:10 AM | 940

Some might argue this is a sequel but it's really a remake of the lower budgeted Evil Dead for all purposes.

I've never heard anyone put it like that. They were both pretty low-budget to me.I hated the TCM remake. Where was Franklin? But yet... there will always be remakes.
GrampaGruesome Tuesday 1/22/2008 at 08:24 AM | 942

Yeah man... I never looked at it that way. It's just hard now to see it as a remake... but I definately understand how it could be. Hmm... that's odd.

Myers31TKD Tuesday 1/22/2008 at 08:40 AM | 946
Bottom line is a good movie is a good movie. If a movie sucks and is crap then it will show. I feel if the remake is good then why not for fun. Thats the way I look at it. As a fan I don't mind if they remake something cool. It seems that is better time and money spent then seeing another let down of a movie that isn't even original in the first place.
quietonthesetstudios Tuesday 1/22/2008 at 12:23 PM | 960
The Thing.
Michael Aspinwall Tuesday 1/22/2008 at 05:38 PM | 974
Doesn't matter to me. i don't care if they remake a good movie. they make em ...

i watch em. doesnt matter to me.

RickyTheShape Tuesday 1/22/2008 at 05:48 PM | 977
Bottom line is a good movie is a good movie. If a movie sucks and is crap then it will show. I feel if the remake is good then why not for fun. Thats the way I look at it. As a fan I don't mind if they remake something cool. It seems that is better time and money spent then seeing another let down of a movie that isn't even original in the first place.

I definately see your point. There are remakes that I enjoy watching. I just don't like the idea of ripping off another movie's great storyline to make your own good movie. It just doesn't seem right that they could do that, and then be able to call it their movie. I'd much rather see a piece of crap movie be remade... then maybe I'll be more excited to see it, just to see if they could make it better. But no... "lets remake the clascs... knowing that is will sell tickets because the movie's already popular!!!". "It seems that is better time and money spent then seeing another let down of a movie that isn't even original in the first place."

But to me, thats all a remake is... a movie that has no original story, hardly a new script, and mediocre writers that couldn't come up with ideas of there own. I mean some remakes are done well... but definately not well enough to pass the original. Why remake a movie when you can't improve on it? That's why I have problems with them.
Myers31TKD Tuesday 1/22/2008 at 06:55 PM | 981
As far as remakes go, I'm generally not a big fan. There have been a few that I wouldn't

say were better than the original, but did do an admiral job of telling the story and getting younger audiences to check out the originals. Of the modern remakes(last 5 yrs. or so), one I really enjoyed was the Hills Have Eyes. It wasn't better, but I thought they did a

decent job. -G.
t-doyle Tuesday 1/22/2008 at 09:53 PM | 990
As far as remakes go, I'm generally not a big fan. There have been a few that I wouldn't

say were better than the original, but did do an admiral job of telling the story and getting younger audiences to check out the originals. Of the modern remakes(last 5 yrs. or so), one I really enjoyed was the Hills Have Eyes. It wasn't better, but I thought they did a

decent job. -G.

Very good example of a remake that didn't need to happen, but turned out well. I enjoyed this film as well.
Myers31TKD Tuesday 1/22/2008 at 10:42 PM | 997
The only remake that i like in this absurd wave of remakes is Sweeney Todd. -Dexter
Doppelganger Tuesday 3/11/2008 at 07:53 PM | 4788
The only remake that i like in this absurd wave of remakes is Sweeney Todd. -Dexter

Wow. I don't know that Sweeney Todd was a remake. Huh... you learn something new everyday. That's one I've yet to see by the way.

Myers31TKD Tuesday 3/11/2008 at 08:43 PM | 4825

Wow. I don't know that Sweeney Todd was a remake. Huh... you learn something new everyday. That's one I've yet to see by the way.yep! There are many verons of the story, whether they be play or film. My favorite bedes the new one was the 1997 veron with Ben Kingsly. -Dexter
Doppelganger Tuesday 3/11/2008 at 08:46 PM | 4827
I still conder JC's The Thing to be one of the best remakes of all time. Clasc.
Myers31TKD Tuesday 3/11/2008 at 08:47 PM | 4829
Yeah JC has that effect on films..making them clascs. -Dexter
Doppelganger Tuesday 3/11/2008 at 08:49 PM | 4832
I don't think halloween need to be remade. but Rob ended up pulling it off.
RickyTheShape Tuesday 3/11/2008 at 09:33 PM | 4880

That would have to be case of opinion. I personally don't see it as a remake, more of a re-imagining. I believe a whole new modernized series of Halloween will begin.. -Dexter
Doppelganger Friday 3/14/2008 at 03:57 PM | 5407
The thing was a good remake and rob zombies Halloween was......alright. I dont like remakes of movies that were good the first time. Shouldnt you remake the bad ones and not the good ones? Any way the only reason Hollywood is remaking all the clasc horror movies is because they have no where else to go with the franchises, so why not start over? I just saw the trailer for the Friday the 13th remake, it looks pretty good and I'd like to see how they approach it. But I would also like to see a new movie, something original, not a sequel, not a remake, something new.
krueger4653 Thursday 10/23/2008 at 07:55 PM | 21379

You are talking about the remake with Johnny Depp?
LÜCKMANN Friday 10/24/2008 at 04:02 PM | 21449
David Cronenberg's "The Fly" and John Carpenter's "The Thing" are the only two remakes worth a shit.This flood of remakes for the past few years is a disgrace.Remaking

a Hitchcock film should be criminal.Espcially with how they butchered "Psycho".
Remakes are Garbage Friday 2/13/2009 at 08:47 AM | 35557
David Cronenberg's "The Fly" and John Carpenter's "The Thing" are the only two remakes worth a shit.This flood of remakes for the past few years is a disgrace.Remaking

a Hitchcock film should be criminal.Espcially with how they butchered "Psycho". dont get me started on the atrocity that was psycho

im still pissed i watched that 11 years later

my dvd player died 2 weeks after watching it coincidence? i think not.............
Johnny Bisco Friday 2/13/2009 at 08:53 AM | 35559

a Hitchcock film should be criminal.Espcially with how they butchered "Psycho". dont get me started on the atrocity that was psycho

im still pissed i watched that 11 years later

my dvd player died 2 weeks after watching it coincidence? i think not.............

Yeah, the original Psycho actually was pretty creepy. It's definitely a pure clasc.

Then, the remake... Err... It's like Psycho-lite. It wasn't scary, and it made me fall asleep for 10 minutes.

The new Psycho is the only horror movie I've watched sober that put me to sleep.
KeeterZ Friday 2/13/2009 at 06:18 PM | 35630

That would have to be case of opinion. I personally don't see it as a remake, more of a re-imagining. I believe a whole new modernized series of Halloween will begin.. -Dexter
shattered lens Monday 3/02/2009 at 01:13 AM | 38149

Rob Zombie is coming out with H2 and they already have the mask made with a bullet wound in the forehead.
shattered lens Monday 3/02/2009 at 01:29 AM | 38152
Rob Zombie is coming out with H2 and they already have the mask made with a bullet wound in the forehead.

Rob Zombie making H2 - that is just bullshit. Now they are also going to do a remake of H3,H5,H6, Friday the 13th part 2,3,4,5 and so on. Man I hate remakes! They should do something new!
Klempo Monday 3/02/2009 at 02:31 PM | 38185

a Hitchcock film should be criminal.Espcially with how they butchered "Psycho". Amen to that though I did like the new Friday the 13th
kaizu Tuesday 3/03/2009 at 04:49 AM | 38285

a Hitchcock film should be criminal.Espcially with how they butchered "Psycho".

I think there are a few more decent remakes than what you mentioned; but let me ask you this....remakes suck?

so do 75% of horrors coming out these days whether they are theatre releases or straight to dvd. Thats where (to me at least) the anti remake thing loses some steam.

People hate remakes but then also complain when an original movie "rips off" older movies. Its very hard to re-invent the slasher.....the bac storyline is always going to be the same so then the idea is to at least make it exciting and scary.

Also why is RZ doing H2 bullshit? lets not forget that while less in numbers there ARE those of us that did like his HALLOWEEN. I would have changed a lot but overall I thought it was a killer horror film and a decent enough remake. When a band does a cover I dont want them to try and sound EXACTLY like the original song. The same goes for film and I think RZ made a good mix in his vion.
ny ghoul Tuesday 3/03/2009 at 05:01 AM | 38293
Also why is RZ doing H2 bullshit? lets not forget that while less in numbers there ARE those of us that did like his HALLOWEEN. I would have changed a lot but overall I thought it was a killer horror film and a decent enough remake. When a band does a cover I dont want them to try and sound EXACTLY like the original song. The same goes for film and I think RZ made a good mix in his vion.

That is your opinion. And I respect that. But I still think that studios should live the good, original movies alone and do not remake them. But after Friday the 13th I think they will not live them alone, we will see a lot more remakes in the future.
Klempo Tuesday 3/03/2009 at 05:13 PM | 38354