Forums Horror Collectibles
have you ever wondered if you are just........too old?????

this is more aimed at the older crowd, as for you younguns you may or may not feel what im about to describe years from now

i dont know if its just the realization that in 3 years im going to be 40 or not but sometimes lately its almost starting to feel like im getting too old to be collecting masks and figures and the like.

i mean when i think about things, when my parents were creeping up on 40 they didnt collect things that would be condered "kiddie stuff" in nature, ya my dad had beer steins my mom had a sewing and knitting hobby but never things that i do.

it just seems strange in a way to me that here i am creeping up on 40 yet i still collect masks and toys and play video games.

were our parents more grown up than us or are us generation x'ers just wired differently?

on one hand if i t an analyze it too much i feel like i never grew up and something is wrong with me yet on the other hand when i see something new come out from neca that i like, i drool over the thought of purchang it.

i feel like i should be doing more "grown up" things (whatever that means) yet here i am with frightstuff blanks ordered that im going to paint and my gamefly que is full of games that will be sent to me.

im "grown up" enough that i dont let those things interfere with going to work and paying my bills but like i said when compared to what my parents were like at this age it seems like im not grown up at all.

i dont plan on giving any of the things up that i love but it seems like im always going to have that whole grown up thing talking a little louder in my ear each year i get older.

am i the only one that feels this way?

(and fyi im not getting rid of my stuff so no pms asking how much lol this is more of an exercise in disecting the generation gap)
Johnny Bisco Wednesday 8/11/2010 at 12:43 AM | 65440
The way I see it, all hobbies are the same. Whether you're a die-hard Trekkie, a model train enthuast, or you collect dirt from all around the world, they are all just activities that interest you. It's not like there is a certain age that you hit where you stop liking what you like. Collecting thimbles, stamps, and horror figures... it's all the same. If you're one of those people who think that getting a kick out of watching excesve gore in horror movies is childish, then you probably think that it's something that should be grown out of. I think that's bullshit.

Different people like different things. A lot of older guys like to play golf on the weekends. Does that make them any more mature than a guy of the same age who likes to play Call of Duty in his leisure time? Not at all. At least not in my opinion. To me it's just another stupid concept created by modern society.
Myers31TKD Wednesday 8/11/2010 at 03:32 AM | 65441
No way I am 36 and still going strong, although I look about 25 lol. You have to understand that 90% of society is lame and just like to t around and watch TV all night and eat. Artists and collectors have special talents, and only envious people with no talents will say belittiling things like "you're a little old for wearing masks eh?" or something like that. Doing what you love actually keeps you young, and the ones who have no talent and are envious look old and boring. I never let anyone else decide what I like or do, and if you love what you do usually almost everyone else loves it too. Even the jealous ones secretly love it but are just mad they are getting no attention.
sirbrad Wednesday 8/11/2010 at 09:26 PM | 65455
i totally agree with you guys

im never going to stop collecting etc

i guess there is just part of me that is trying to turn into my dad

which i refuse to give into

Johnny Bisco Wednesday 8/11/2010 at 11:41 PM | 65470
I think that every so often.

When I was in college I had to "grow up" and I sold my whole collection of monster stuff on ebay, sold all my cd's and quite a few movies.

Now I'm like "Fuck it".

If I want a toy of sorts I'll buy it.

I just recently got 6 universal monsters Little big heads from a flea market. I was excited as all hell, did I miss a bit on my phone bill? Yes I did..do I care? No, it was only $12 haha.

But if you love it, you love it.

We don't have to "grow up"..I think our parents may have been wired differently indeed. However my mom collects anything with Snoopy on it. So her and I are milar in the aspect of collecting shit no one else likes.

This maybe the only thing that keeps us sane..so Play your games, collect your toys and masks. It makes you happy, then keep it that way. ;).

Yes we are all getting older, but if we think we're old then we will become old..Hold on to your youth and when you're 99 and feel like putting on your friday the 13th part 3 replica mask..do it.
zmbgraphics Thursday 8/12/2010 at 02:39 AM | 65474
I take solace in the fact that I know many guys personally in their 40's-60's who still live and breathe horror in all facets: collecting films, figures, models, masks, etc. There is a stigma that collecting figures, films, comics, etc is "immature". Ive had that slur hurled at me behind my back be several people, yet.....if I was a suit and tie guy who collected Yankee memorabilia and painted my basement to look like the Yankee locker room, noone would say shit. If I was perpetually working on a car and laid down 10G's on rims, noone would call me immature. I say we're doing something right, we're in tune with our imaginations and our inner child. Nothing wrong with that. As for mom and pop, or shoot even grandpa and grandma? I think every decade we get an extra year of youth lol. Grandma was a house frau by 20, mom was by 30...now we have 40 year old looking hotter than they were at 20.
ny ghoul Thursday 8/12/2010 at 03:27 AM | 65476
Testify *Waves hands in a crazy evangelistic christo like fashion*..Very well put.
zmbgraphics Thursday 8/12/2010 at 03:03 PM | 65481
yet.....if I was a suit and tie guy who collected Yankee memorabilia and painted my basement to look like the Yankee locker room, noone would say shit.

couldnt have said it better!
Johnny Bisco Thursday 8/12/2010 at 08:36 PM | 65484
It's in our human nature to collect

Almost 40 here and I have no reason to stop. The drummer in my band always plays golf after band practice.lol When he first met me he noticed how much cool stuff he missed out on.lol
kaizu Friday 8/13/2010 at 01:22 PM | 65490
"have you ever wondered if you are just........too old?????"

lly question
Klempo Saturday 8/14/2010 at 06:20 PM | 65501
I'm just 23, but I personally don't think you can be too old to collect things, or get giddy about something new that you've always enjoyed. It's just different for all types of people. Some people love a new car that has came out, some will be 50 and enjoy a new video game.

My mom's late husband (she remarried) was in his mid-40's just a couple years ago and still collected almost every Star Wars piece collectible. I used to not be allowed in his house because he was so embarrassed that there was no place to walk. Out of a 4 bedroom house with an attached sun porch and a full basement, 3 rooms were filled with Star Wars toys, as well as one of the two living rooms, part of the kitchen, the sun porch, the garage and the basement. He had enough room to walk a path to the couch and kitchen, as well as the bedroom. The front door was blocked off with all of that shit. He probably had(s) over 150,000 dollars invested in this stuff ranging from Legos to Burger King toys, and large X-Wing fighters and giant Yoda figures.

Point is, it was his pason, and he did what he loved, regardless of whether collecting toys seems like something a 13 year old should be doing.

Don't feel "old". You're still quite young and have a lot more collecting to do.
KeeterZ Tuesday 8/17/2010 at 09:52 PM | 65546
Hell no! Im only 20,but i respect guys like yourselves who've stayed with it for so long. It shows commitment, dedication, and character. 3 things that last i checked are all a part of maturity. Not to mention you give myself and the other youngins people to look up to. You inspire us not to hide stuff like this and be/do what you like as opposed to being another brick in the wall.

I salute you, collectors of yester-year. You never let it die.and that aint nothin to be ashamed of.
pantera11431 Thursday 8/19/2010 at 12:49 AM | 65553
Hell no! Im only 20,but i respect guys like yourselves who've stayed with it for so long. It shows commitment, dedication, and character. 3 things that last i checked are all a part of maturity. Not to mention you give myself and the other youngins people to look up to. You inspire us not to hide stuff like this and be/do what you like as opposed to being another brick in the wall.

I salute you, collectors of yester-year. You never let it die.and that aint nothin to be ashamed of.

thank you for the kind words

im definately not used to being looked up to except by my son but thats different!

speaking of my son im making him a roy mask for his birthday i think that will make his day!
Johnny Bisco Thursday 8/19/2010 at 06:19 AM | 65556
Been a while nce I've been on the forum.

Have had a lot on my plate recently.

But Johnny, I'm about a year and a half from forty, in a supposedly profesonal career with way too much responbility, staring down the barrel of a heart transplant at some point in the future, with a mortgage and more debt than I can even really think of, and you know what still gives me joy?

I know that Justin Mabry is making something for me and I can't wait to get that box in the mail at some point in the near future.

And whenever I go into manland and look at my collection it just warms me up somehow.

Never "grow up" Johnny (or anyone else that loves doing this).

I totally feel what you're saying, but I also truly believe that doing things like this is what keeps us young.

Collect on brothers and sters!

deathrisingup Saturday 8/21/2010 at 08:05 PM | 65597
good to hear from you again bro!

hope your health is getting better!
Johnny Bisco Saturday 8/21/2010 at 08:19 PM | 65598
Yeah you can grow up and die or stay young and collect. I choose the latter.
sirbrad Saturday 8/21/2010 at 11:58 PM | 65605
I hate to say it but I will be 42 in October! I collect anything that has to do with Halloween or Horror! I have so much stuff, it doesn't all fit in my house at Halloween! I will post pictures for you all to see! I start decorating September 1st! It takes me nearly that long to get everything out & perfect! You are NEVER too old!

If you are having fun, it keeps you a kid at heart! And we ARE the Halloween generation! Look at places like Walmart now! They only sell costumes in their store. We have to keep it alive!

Tammy
littlelovemuffin Sunday 8/22/2010 at 03:55 AM | 65612
definatrly post pics of your collection tammy!
Johnny Bisco Sunday 8/22/2010 at 11:15 AM | 65618
It would be hilarious to see us on "Halloween hoarders." Imagine the look on the face of the organizer.

sirbrad Monday 8/23/2010 at 12:47 AM | 65631
that would be awesome!
Johnny Bisco Monday 8/23/2010 at 01:47 AM | 65632
Yeah I'm 32 and people look at me strange sometimes when they come over to my house because it's wall to wall, and my girlfriend kinda looks

at me weird sometimes too, but she shouldn't because she collects dead bugs and dead animals and puts them in the freezer!

But I've always collected it's really what keeps me sane!

WRATHCHILD78 Friday 8/27/2010 at 06:20 PM | 65699
Yeah I'm 32 and people look at me strange sometimes when they come over to my house because it's wall to wall, and my girlfriend kinda looks

at me weird sometimes too, but she shouldn't because she collects dead bugs and dead animals and puts them in the freezer!

But I've always collected it's really what keeps me sane!She sounds like a keeper to me.
pantera11431 Saturday 8/28/2010 at 07:08 PM | 65777
Hey, all you young'uns.

I'm turning 43 tomorrow, and my one birthday request was the Book of the Dead release of Evil Dead 1&2.

(Woulda asked for the Blu-Ray release, but don't have a blu-ray player.)

Trust me - never too old.

anothermasque Saturday 8/28/2010 at 10:41 PM | 65793
Trust me Pantera she is! And if I ever did leave I would end up in the freezer!!
WRATHCHILD78 Saturday 8/28/2010 at 10:49 PM | 65796
r Hey, all you young'uns.

I'm turning 43 tomorrow, and my one birthday request was the Book of the Dead release of Evil Dead 1&2.

(Woulda asked for the Blu-Ray release, but don't have a blu-ray player.)

Trust me - never too old.now thats what i like to hear!

oh and welcome to the forums! if you have any questions pm one of us mods and we will gladly help you!
Johnny Bisco Saturday 8/28/2010 at 10:50 PM | 65797
Trust me Pantera she is! And if I ever did leave I would end up in the freezer!!

deep freeze, walk in freeze or standard freeze?

Johnny Bisco Saturday 8/28/2010 at 10:51 PM | 65798
Regular freezer!!

WRATHCHILD78 Saturday 8/28/2010 at 10:58 PM | 65800
now thats what i like to hear!

oh and welcome to the forums! if you have any questions pm one of us mods and we will gladly help you

Sure will - thanks for the welcome!
anothermasque Saturday 8/28/2010 at 10:59 PM | 65801

Now THAT'S commitment!
pantera11431 Sunday 8/29/2010 at 08:06 PM | 65836
So many weird people on this forum
Klempo Sunday 8/29/2010 at 10:14 PM | 65839
and im one of em!

Johnny Bisco Sunday 8/29/2010 at 10:39 PM | 65840
HAHAHA I'm not sure if it's a commitment or a hostage tuation!! HAHAHAHA

WRATHCHILD78 Monday 8/30/2010 at 07:46 PM | 65853
Hey Bisco...

I just turned 40 dude. On Sept 5th.

I'm still going strong. No slowing down here. I'm not much of a collector, but I am damned sure into horror movies and fully intend on making more of them.

Yeah it's a bit harder to cater to a younger crowd nce I'm not exactly in my 20's and don't "fit in" as much anymore, but I will give it a hell of a run.

Don't let your age ever slow you down. 40 is fuckin' awesome dude. I love it.
aceofspades70 Tuesday 9/14/2010 at 01:20 AM | 66303