Seriously, people really think this movie is awesome and groundbreaking? I keep seeing this on lists and put out there as the one to watch, but it blows. Its only good till halfway through, then it just bombs. The premise and plot are so weak I'm pissed I watched it.

I know I cant be the only one who thinks this.
Stilesp1985 Thursday 3/10/2011 at 05:34 AM | 73257
Hey brother

Movie going is a subjective thing, and one man's meat is another man's poison. That being said, MARTYRS has been hailed by fans and critics alike as one of the crucial horror films of the past decade. I respect your opinion, but lets hear why? what did you find wrong with the premise and plot? I thought it was well acted, well directed and very intense. The idea of posbly capturing the moment/secret of martyrdom was amazing to me. Anyone wanna chime in?
ny ghoul Thursday 3/10/2011 at 05:40 AM | 73259
I find the premise of being put through so much pain that you will be able to see the afterlife a bit dumb (not alot just a bit), but add to that a society of old people who need to know this is posble just retarded. Hence the plot really has no value for me. What I did like were the actresses in the film. They did a very good job with very little. I believe it was "hailed" mostly because its a foreign movie.And we Americans believe every import is just supper awesome (most are, but a few just suck).

Now the 1st half was pretty cool, and the fucked up girl torturing the one was a cool idea, but it felt like 2 movies smashed together. One awesome, one shit.
Stilesp1985 Thursday 3/10/2011 at 06:57 AM | 73263
While there have been a good deal of killer films coming out of Europe the past 10 years, I do agree that its becoming a bit trendy to declare every piece of Euro-trash as the next epic horror film.

I know what you mean about the "two films in a film" feel...difference is I thought it was cool but I also am fascinated by the concept of martyrdom, afterlife, etc.

It would make sense that such a project would be lead by old people not a bunch of college kids. But anyway, cheers for the more in depth look!
ny ghoul Thursday 3/10/2011 at 05:10 PM | 73272
True about the age thing, Just felt it could have been more
Stilesp1985 Friday 3/11/2011 at 08:52 AM | 73298