Forums Horror Collectibles
Fangoria VS Horror Hound

I have been reading Fangoria nce 1991. I remember it was like the coolest thing I had ever seen, a magazine about my favorite kind of movies WOW!. I didn't buy every issue but I atleast bought 3 to 4 a year over the past 20 years. I felt if I didn't support such a niche magazine it would disappear and then where would I be. But over the last few years I go to pick up my Fango, I shell out $9.00 U.S., I read it front to back, then t and think "SHIT, They got me again... well maybe next issue will be better." But thats the problem it never does get better, the writing just seems stale along with the articles and tack on the 21 full page ads,its a let down. So that brings me this chance happening. I walk into a record store (I know magazines and records, did I hit my head getting out my Delorean) and see Horror Hound on the shelf next to Fango and I say "what the hell" and read it there. I'm instantly hooked. I look at the cover price $7.00 U.S. well shit I'm buying it and have been buying nce last August. The articles are good reads, the ads don't even come close to 21 pages, and at the end of the issuse they do a 3 page article called Hallowed Grounds, which shows you the shooting location of clasc horror movies along with pics from the movie and how it appears now. Overall I'm sad that Fangoria has fallen off for me, but at the same time I'm happy that I have something new to fall back on.
Stilesp1985 Friday 3/25/2011 at 06:22 PM | 73785
Horror Hound is my personal Favorite with Rue Morgue 2nd. I still pick up Fangoria here and there but not so much anymore.
immortaldeath24 Friday 3/25/2011 at 08:37 PM | 73787
Yes, I would say Horror Hound is now my favorite, but I did sucker myself and buy the 300th issue of Fangoria. I bought one Rue and that was the issue with Freddy vs Freddy on the cover. Its not a bad mag either.
Stilesp1985 Saturday 3/26/2011 at 12:28 AM | 73803
I had to pick the 300th Fangoria up also
immortaldeath24 Saturday 3/26/2011 at 01:03 AM | 73804
Very different zines, but Id personally choose Horror Hound.
ny ghoul Saturday 3/26/2011 at 05:58 AM | 73817
Times change guys... You can only get so popular before you fall on your face. It happens all to often with many things and Fangoria looks to be one of them. I've seen fangoria magazine and I have yet to ever shell out the money for a subscription to them. The magazine is not worth it... I've been subscribing to Horrorhound for the past "Almost" 2 years... I find the Video Invaon reads to be Awesome along with the Hallowed Grounds AND The FANTASM pics! Not to mention that on EVERY page there is a neat fact at the bottom. I think they are very creative with there mags. They bring alot to the table and set the bar pretty high for bigger companys like Fangoria. I believe many would feel the same about it. The only thing holding Fang up in the air now are the fans who never gave any other magazine a try... And they've been loyal to them for so long, they hold them up.

Just my personal opinion...

I've been looking into subscribing to Rue as well... Wasnt sure how they work. I've heard 2 good things so far in this thread towards Rue so we'll see...

Not a bad topic to post on!!! Nice!

--Ryan
Harry Warden Saturday 3/26/2011 at 01:33 PM | 73829
Oh yeh... The retrospectives... EEEPPPPIIIIICCCCC! Love reading them! ***GOOOOOO HORRORHOUND***!!!
Harry Warden Saturday 3/26/2011 at 01:35 PM | 73830
yea Horror Hound just steps it up and Fango better get with it or there not gonna be around much longer (I say 4-7 years if they don't change)
Stilesp1985 Saturday 3/26/2011 at 09:36 PM | 73859
I read FANGO for years but as you said they just started slipping. It's a shame but seems to happen to all good things.
Ryn Sunday 3/27/2011 at 02:07 PM | 73867
I guess you can't be the best forever, and who knows in 20 years there might be a post here about how Horror Hound fell off.
Stilesp1985 Sunday 3/27/2011 at 11:14 PM | 73876
I'm 100% behind Horrorhound!

Love them!

I especially like the articles on masks and collectibles.. my mask collection was even featured in one of their early issues!

I just hope they keep getting stronger and start to publish monthly!

Best money you'll spend on a horror mag!

Btw, I still subscribe to Fangoria as well.. when I can find it cheap.

They've really gone down hill...

Dave Chainsaw9
Chainsaw9 Tuesday 3/29/2011 at 05:49 PM | 73921
From the responses I guess its safe to say Horror Hound is the new fan favorite.....

Horror bid needs to get in contact with them, get a hook up
Stilesp1985 Thursday 3/31/2011 at 01:23 AM | 73961
I never have bought any horror magazines, yet I understand your words. Great post. Times do certainly change, and we watch as they do. Just goes to show that nothing lasts forever.
aceofspades70 Thursday 4/07/2011 at 09:08 PM | 74198
I'm trying to engage more with this te/boards, and I came across this posting.

I figured that I would jump in.

I used to have a subscription to Fangoria back in the 80's when it first started up.

I just passed on the first twenty five or so issues to another horror fan.

I quite buying it as it changed.

I have had a subscription to Rue Morgue for the past two years.

I love it.

I always read it from cover to cover.

The Rue crew has turned me on to great films, books, and webtes.

I have recently started picking up Horror Hound every month as well.

I have not yet subscribed, but that is only a matter of time.

This is another one that I tend to read from cover to cover.

I am currently waiting for a zine to come in the mail titled Ax Wound.

I have heard some great things about it.

I will let you all know how that looks when I get it.

Going back to Fangoria, they have recently taken on a new editor.

It appears that he has made quite a number of changes.

I have actually bought the past two issues.

The most recent issue has some cool articles about Amicus and their horror anthologies.

They also give space to independent film.

If they keep this up, I believe they have won me back.
babyfivetongues Friday 7/15/2011 at 02:31 AM | 78723
So the general consensus on here is the Horror Hound is a much superior magazine? This is actually a very helpful thread to me. I haven't had a Fangoria subscription in over 5 years. (I avidly made my mother buy me them in highschool)

Over the passed year or so, i've been getting back into horror (in a big way) and i recently thought about re-uping my Fango subscription. Now you guys are telling me i shouldn't and i should get Horror Hound instead? Its gonna be a tough choice for me because as a kid, i fucking LOVED getting my new Fango in the mail. I guess i could go pick up the most recent copy of each and decide for myself, but i see that most of you would just tell me to subscribe to HH.
AgnesItsMeBilly Friday 7/15/2011 at 02:47 AM | 78726
Look into Rue Morgue magazine as well.

I love it.

It is intelligent and thorough.
babyfivetongues Friday 7/15/2011 at 04:34 AM | 78731
Horror Hound has become my favorite between the two but Rue Morgue and

Famous Monsters Underground are certainly filling the void as well. Fangoria was awesome through the 80s and the only magazine I could ever really find growing up in a small town in Maine. It let me see the pics of my favorite horror films and gave me news that I certainly wasn't getting where I lived but it changed so much and not for the better so I stopped. I still pick up a copy once in awhile but overall I can't see spending more for less and that is what I feel it has become with Fangoria.
cropsy Monday 8/22/2011 at 02:31 PM | 81295