Forums Horror Movie Talk
Bye Bye Ghostface! SCREAM 5 & 6 Dead?

Did the Weinstein Brothers wait too long to release the fourth installment of the Scream franchise? Lackluster box office numbers seem to suggest so. Rumors are now flying that Ghostface may have to temporarily retire his knife and take up golfing because a big screen appearance seems highly improbable.

According to Moviehole, who got this "inde" scoop on the series,

The Scream franchise will likely end here, at least for the moment. There’s the posbility that it could continue later on, “even as a direct-to-dvd franchise”, but this proposed new trilogy “stops here”.

Another article published by E!Online suggests;

“If there is a Scream 5, expect it to be re-titled Scream, and don’t expect David Arquette, Courteney Cox or Neve Campbell to return unless it’s in a cameo—in the form of a body bag.”

But it may be Dave Davies from Jo Blo.com, who may have summed it up best;

Reviting the SCREAM franchise after a decade obviously hasn't been the phenomenon the Weinsteins hoped (or the financial resuscitation they desperately need), and while the studio had intended SCREAM 4 to launch a new trilogy, it doesn't look like Ghostface will be slashing anyone for a while. Unless it's in a reboot."

So I looks like it might finally be lights out for poor dney.

Not to worry though, the Weinsteins are currently in talks or working on remakes of SCANNERS, HELLRAISER, AN AMERICAN WEREWOLF IN LONDON, SCARY MOVIE and HALLOWEEN 3D.
Anonymous Tuesday 4/26/2011 at 04:43 AM | 75008
This is very unlikely and premature. Its been 15 days nce the movie was released and World Wide it's at 48.9 million. It will take in a bit more,then we factor in Blu-Ray and dvd sales. You see, just because a movie doesn't make 100 million on opening weekend or break a record it's not a flop. Scream 4 was hell of a lot better than alot of stuff they put over the past ten years. I'm say this to all horror fans,check out the movie for yourself, then if you hate it, o well, you tried. Just don't listen to the box office hype.
Stilesp1985 Tuesday 4/26/2011 at 03:55 PM | 75018
it needs to be. scream 4 was weak sauce and did nothing for true horror fans. take that shit and leave it on the cutting room floor.
Disturbed_voices Wednesday 4/27/2011 at 06:11 AM | 75063
it needs to be. scream 4 was weak sauce and did nothing for true horror fans. take that shit and leave it on the cutting room floor.

I'm sorry, but this is a ridiculous thing to say. "True horror fans" don't need to qualify their fandom by constantly referring to themselves as true horror fans. True horror fans can accept a good horror flick, regardless of whether or not it's indie or mainstream. I can assure you that more "true horror fans" enjoyed Scream 4 than otherwise. It's also sad the percentage of people that "didn't like" Scream 4, decided that before they watched it. Don't get me wrong, I know it's all opinion, but it seems like a lot of people spend more time trying to be "cool" rather than enjoying the genre.
Shawn.Savage Thursday 4/28/2011 at 03:32 PM | 75148