I have been anxiously awaiting the release of the movie Husk (2011 Part of the AfterDark Horror Series) for awhile now. I saw the previews months ago and it looked like a winner. Scary ass Scarecrows? Check. Ghosts? Check. Remote Location? Check. Cornfields? Check (Hey cornfields are scary...did you not see gns?)

Clueless group of 20-somethings? CHECK.

I am HAPPY to report this movie did not disappoint.

The Plot:

Five 20-somethings are heading up to the lake house.

While traveling through (they never say where, but I'm going to guess Ohio.

I drove through Ohio once, all I saw was corn.) Their car's windshield is hit head on by a murder of crows.

YES the collective noun for crows is murder, does life get more awesome? *SPOILER ALERT* No it does not.

The group swerves and crashes on the de of a deserted road, surrounded by corn fields.

Instantly one of their friends is already misng.

The four remaining friends (picture the 3 guys from The Breakfast Club and the Athlete's hot girlfriend) weigh their options. The last gas station was 40 miles back, no one will make it before dark, and they have no flashlights.

The Athlete and the Brain decide to cut through a cornfield in hopes of coming upon a farmhouse with a phone to use.I know what you're thinking.....yawn.

But actually the movie gets pretty intricate and intense.

Not long after the Brain and the Athlete begin their trek through the cornfield, the Athlete's HG sees a boy in the cornfield. Wandering along the edges she finds a scarecrow on the ground.

After lifting it's mask a bit and seeing teeth...she puts together pretty quickly that things aren't off to a great start.She grabs the only Breakfast Club member left, the Criminal, and they head out in search of their friends.

What happens next is unexpected, as the group are attacked, by what appear to be bloody and fast Scarecrows.

The Brain begins to have vions of the family that used to own the farm, and it's macabre history. Quickly they realize the farmhouse is not the refuge they hoped it would be

As everyone gets lost in the maze that is the cornfields, and the mystery that is their attackers, they finally start to realize that one scarecrow is the LEAST of their problems.

Overall a great good old fashioned horror flick.

Despite my having to pause it halfway through and return to finish it later, I was hooked from start to finish.

With a solid plot, good actors, (I personally didn't want any of them to die, rare for me) and a storyline with no holes, I was in horror heaven.

I'd give it 3 out of 5 bloody axes

http://youtu.be/aTZndNe8tEc
BloodAndRibbons Monday 5/09/2011 at 12:46 AM | 75706
I just watched this a few hours ago and I LOVED IT!!!
Michael Aspinwall Monday 5/09/2011 at 04:07 AM | 75711
Nice post. I loved this film too. Anythin with cornfields is a winner, but this one is actually a darn good tale to boot. And I liked teh characters too. A notch above the usual teen fodder you find in this sort of genre pic. Look forward to more of your reviews,

BloodandRibbons. :)
Dr Phibes Monday 5/09/2011 at 03:17 PM | 75723
thanks everyone! And I think we can all agree (at least those of us that have seen the movie) if you are ever going to be in a shitty tuation I'd want the Athlete as my boyfriend.

He was not a quitter.
BloodAndRibbons Monday 5/09/2011 at 04:02 PM | 75725
I was a surprised at how much fun this movie was. It was a great little throw back to what made th 80's so great, but it was still fresh at the same time. Great review.
Maynardtscuggs Monday 5/09/2011 at 04:44 PM | 75727
yknow, despite my scarecrow fetish, i gotta say i felt this movie was OK at best. I really cant rationalize why though. i just couldn't really get into it for some reason.
pantera11431 Wednesday 5/25/2011 at 07:53 PM | 76809
I think this was finally the breath of fresh air scarecrow movies have needed nce the beginning. Finally one that isn't stereotypical in the worst ways or just an excuse to dress someone up in burlap.
ironblade87 Monday 6/06/2011 at 07:13 AM | 77159