Forums Horror Movie Talk
With SCREAM 5...What Would The Rules Be?

In the first Scream film writer Kevin Williamson smartly plays off of the sense that "we" the fans know all of the traditional rules of slasher movies because most of us grew up watching them. In Scream 2, we see the changes between the original and the sequel, increases the body counts and killings are more elaborate but not out of the original rules. It's the perfect sequel parody of a slasher movie. Good formula and for the most part it works. In Scream 3, we get the talk about the final chapter of a "horror" trilogy and its characteristics thus seemingly ending what writer Kevin Williamson says he set out to day.

And then comes along came Scream 4 which tries to play off of rules established by remakes adding a twist...

Now my question. What would the rules of Scream 5 be condering the roller-coaster ride we went through with the first four films?

LukeSlasher Monday 5/23/2011 at 02:18 AM | 76663
Maybe, they should focus on spin off rules, i mean maybe have someone else be the target while still having the original cast still involved not like in Scream 4 where dney was still the main target.
AJxSCREAMx87 Monday 5/23/2011 at 02:46 AM | 76665
Scream 5 would comment on the 3D craze, how it's been effecting the horror genre and how ridiculous it's been getting.

Stab 8 3D would be coming out and Scream 5 itself would probably have to be in 3D if that was the case. Scream 5's theme could be sequels to remakes and continuing a series from there. It could also comment on how desperate the horror genre is at this point in time and how if you wait too long to release a sequel nobody goes to see it or how indie horror or small budget films have been a much better choice than big budget horror films. I don't know ... honestly I think if they were to stop the Scream franchise this is the time to do it. They ended Scream 4 perfectly and should only come back for Scream 5 if they have something strong to say about the horror genre because Scream 4 had a strong message and left the franchise on a high note. Don't get me wrong, I'd love it if they finished this proposed "new trilogy" but I just want the future installments to be just as meaningful as its predecessors. Scream has always been a horror franchise with a point and if they ever remade it that would go against everything Scream 4 stood for. Just imagine the hypothetical Scream 4 remake. What's Sydney going to say? "First rule of re-remakes, don't fuck with the remake." What an awful thought.

Anonymous Monday 5/23/2011 at 07:24 PM | 76678
@Lord Of Salem. Brilliant ideas there, mate.
Dr Phibes Tuesday 5/24/2011 at 10:04 AM | 76723
There should no rules what so ever. And absolutely no mention of rules. It was a little forced in the last film and it would have been awesome to them really revitalize the series by having any things goes.
weaponx Wednesday 5/25/2011 at 12:06 AM | 76763
Maybe, they should focus on spin off rules, i mean maybe have someone else be the target while still having the original cast still involved not like in Scream 4 where dney was still the main target.

this is the best case scenario i can think of as well.
pantera11431 Wednesday 5/25/2011 at 04:44 AM | 76784
Scream 4 was so boring and i don't want to watch this series now.
breakfast Tuesday 5/31/2011 at 08:12 AM | 76984