Forums Horror Movie Reviews
"WAXWORKS" Is A Nightmare Come True : Review

What do Vampires, Zombies, Werewolves, and that guy from Gremlins have in common, bedes the lack of any humanity? They all fit into Waxworks of course.

Waxworks is the story of an evil Wax Museum, and more importantly, the wax figures inde. If you step into the exhibit, you step through a gateway to that exhibits world. If you die in that world, you die in real life, and your one less person the Waxworks evil owner needs dead in order to unleash his oh-so-evil plan. TO TAKE OVER THE WORLD, and it's up to Zach Galligan to stop him.

Waxworks is a fun little movie, it's safe to say it's played for laughs, but a lot of the laughs fall short. That doesn't stop the movie from being any less awesome. It's really just a vehicle to throw all the horror monsters you want into a movie. Like vampires? Have some one fall into a vampire exhibit. Werewolves just as cool? Good thing there's a werewolf exhibit! The freedom this allows does wonders for making the film an enjoyable ride. It's almost like a gory Monster Squad, if all the kids grew up into rich pompous assholes.

The characters in the film are very hard to like. Except for Jenkins the butler of course, his scenes are near and dear to my heart. The main character, Zach playing Mark, starts the movie as a brooding rich kid, but thankfully by the end, his character develops enough to be much more enjoyable. Mark's circle of friends are for the most part, poorly acted, and just plain snotty, but thankfully they don't last long.

While there aren't too many on screen deaths, at least until' a Lord Of The Rings level of epic showdown in the end, what we are treated with is so over the top balls to the wall awesome, that you can't help but love it. We're talking blood spraying everywhere, people getting ripped in half, impaled through wine bottles, it's nuts, and while it doesn't look real, it comes across as gory fun none the less.

Waxworks is a movie I which I had seen when I was younger, not because it doesn't hold up now, but because it would have been a horror wet dream come true when I was younger. Still, I think it's one worth checking out, not to mention the sequel has Bruce Campbell in it!

Score - 80% Gore - 8/10

http://youtu.be/yQ4FlHowFOc
HorrorDaily Tuesday 8/16/2011 at 04:16 PM | 80773
It's almost like a gory Monster Squad, if all the kids grew up into rich pompous assholes.

*Snort* This should be the tagline!
dew Tuesday 8/16/2011 at 06:20 PM | 80791
I loved the movie..thought it was alot of fun!

ImTheWolf Tuesday 8/16/2011 at 07:20 PM | 80793
I don't recall ever seeing this... However I do remember Waxworks 2! That movie didn't make a Gaddamn bit of sense!!

Weren't they magically jumping into fictional movie worlds or something, and it really had nothing to do with a wax museum!?..What the hell was that shit all about!? LoL!
ubersteigen Tuesday 8/16/2011 at 09:29 PM | 80819
Good, fun film. I probably saw this for the first time a month back and liked it (a lot more than the sequel). I kind of felt bad for the characters as well . Plus I thought the lead girl was beautiful, much better than the girl they replace her with in part 2.
Zombie Dude Tuesday 8/16/2011 at 10:05 PM | 80823