Forums Horror Collectibles
Billy Bob Thorton as Freddy in Nightmare reboot????

Oh the humanity LOL.

This is just a RUMOR guys so don't get too upset (however I cringe at this thought).

JoBlo.com reports:

So we know that Michael Bay's Platinum Dunes production company has plans to remake Wes Craven's horror clasc A NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET. The entire movie would get the facelift that an appropriate budget would provide, including a new dream-dwelling mass murderer. But who could posbly replace Robert Englund as the iconic rake-handed Freddy Krueger?

How about Oscar-winning actor Billy Bob Thornton? It's just a rumor at this point -- but it was initiated by the original Freddy himself. Robert Englund was on the late night radio show Loveline last week to promote JACK BROOKS, MONSTER SLAYER (and discuss sex, I guess), and was inevitably asked about the NIGHTMARE reboot. And Englund stated that the last gosp he heard was that Thornton could be slipping on the sweater and burn makeup for the role.

Englund also claims he's not opposed to being replaced (as he says, he already made the movie), or the remake itself, nce he feels it's the sort of movie that deserves a bigger budget for the dreamscape special effects (they ran out of money while making the first movie).

Thornton seems like the kind of dude who's receptive to any sort of material, and he does have an existing Bay connection from ARMAGEDDON. Food for thought (or nightmares)
DaShape Tuesday 8/12/2008 at 03:07 PM | 16658
theres a rumour circulationg that Billy Bob Thornton may play Freddy in the upcoming remake of Nightmare on Elm Street, Robert Englund spoke about it recently on a radio show. . .have a read and voice your opinions

http://www.shocktillyoudrop.com/news/to%20...%20hp?id=7306 Thought this may be a good topic for some discusson

I Personally dont want to see ANYBODY else play Kruger. . . Robert Englund IS Freddy in my opinion
oldskool Sunday 9/14/2008 at 06:15 AM | 18899
I personally agree with you all the way! Robert and Krueger are like the same people... When you see Robert Englund the first thing you think of is Freddy... When you see Freddy you think of Robert... It's just an Insepreble Charactor and Actor... Doesnt matter where Robert goes, Somebody Always says "Freddy". He's done a total of 8 films and god only knows how many TV Series he has done...

I just feel that if he has been doing the Roll ever nce the 80's and clear up into 2000's than it should just be left alone... Nobody should claim the thron of an Icon that has only been played by one man... We all should know by now that it's not going to be the Same Freddy we all know and love... This is just my Opinion and I feel strongly about it. I geuss I don't take change very ealiy... Well... For what it's worth I am going to go and see this when it comes out in theatres... I will """"TRY""""" to be Optimistic about this whole ordeal, but it's not going to be easy.... --Ryan

Harry Warden Sunday 9/14/2008 at 06:59 AM | 18902
That's already been proven to be just another internet rumor/ hoax that has no bas in fact.
HorrorSanctum Sunday 9/14/2008 at 03:51 PM | 18908
That's already been proven to be just another internet rumor/ hoax that has no bas in fact.

...and McCain kills yet another thread

lblambert Sunday 9/14/2008 at 10:54 PM | 18928
Robert Englund = Freddy Doug Bradley = Pinhead

There are no others.
FilmFiends Monday 9/15/2008 at 12:53 AM | 18935
Robert is Freddy just as Freddy is Robert. Same with Bradley and Hellraiser. After RE portraying Freddy in all 8 films, there is no alternative for Freddy. And seriously...I can't imagine Sling Blade being Freddy.

Petronix Tuesday 9/16/2008 at 07:32 PM | 18983
billy bob was on the jimmy kimmel show two nights ago... i cant find a link but he denied rumors of him portraying the role of the nightmare maniac.
nerkster66 Friday 9/26/2008 at 03:58 PM | 19547
Of course he denied it. It's supposed to be some big surprise.

And it's not about Robert not wanting to play Freddy. He's to old. Sucks.
Petronix Friday 9/26/2008 at 10:07 PM | 19575
alright...i agree...no one can play freddy believably other than mr robert englund....but...lets face it...they are making a new one....who do you guys think would be the best actor to play the new freddy? even if you dont want anyone to, like i dont, who do you think would pull it off the best?

i may be biased once again in saying bill moseley....i would marry the man if i could haha
mhzombie Saturday 9/27/2008 at 03:13 AM | 19607
alright...i agree...no one can play freddy believably other than mr robert englund....but...lets face it...they are making a new one....who do you guys think would be the best actor to play the new freddy? even if you dont want anyone to, like i dont, who do you think would pull it off the best?

i may be biased once again in saying bill moseley....i would marry the man if i could haha

There is no person to pull it off "best." The bar has been set at an unreachable level. Nobody will be able to ignore the fact that someone else is wearing the make-up and glove. I know I wont.
Petronix Saturday 9/27/2008 at 04:33 PM | 19628
There is no person to pull it off "best." The bar has been set at an unreachable level. Nobody will be able to ignore the fact that someone else is wearing the make-up and glove. I know I wont.

With all due respect I have to disagree with you. While you may not be able to accept someone else in that role, I don't think it's reasonable to say nobody will. For those of us 30-somethings who grew up with Englund as Freddy, you're right in that it won't be the same with someone else doing it. However there are a lot of younger fans who aren't that familiar with the franchise and they'll be able to accept a new Freddy.

Personally, I think a lot is going to depend on which style of Freddy they choose to go with nce the character changed a great deal over time. The scary Freddy of Parts 1 and 2 was very much a background in-the-shadows type and someone else could pull that off. If they opt to go with the wisecracking Freddy of the later movies then I'd agree with you that nobody will be able to replicate it.
lblambert Saturday 9/27/2008 at 06:50 PM | 19642
The best thing they can do is scratch this idea and right something original
Matthew Mayhem Sunday 9/28/2008 at 11:31 PM | 19777

With all due respect I have to disagree with you. While you may not be able to accept someone else in that role, I don't think it's reasonable to say nobody will. For those of us 30-somethings who grew up with Englund as Freddy, you're right in that it won't be the same with someone else doing it. However there are a lot of younger fans who aren't that familiar with the franchise and they'll be able to accept a new Freddy.

Personally, I think a lot is going to depend on which style of Freddy they choose to go with nce the character changed a great deal over time. The scary Freddy of Parts 1 and 2 was very much a background in-the-shadows type and someone else could pull that off. If they opt to go with the wisecracking Freddy of the later movies then I'd agree with you that nobody will be able to replicate it.

And I'm a guy who grew up with Robert as Freddy. I just don't see anyone else wearing the costume. Meh on the younger fans. They just don't know...
Petronix Monday 9/29/2008 at 07:35 PM | 19816
I've heard this rumor..& I am not to happy at all! Robert Englund not being Freddy is just insane. He made Freddy who he is.

To me it wouldn't be the same at all with Billy Bob

RxQueen13 Thursday 11/20/2008 at 04:12 AM | 24638
For godsake guys!

What's wrong in BBT be the new Freddy?? What should happen to F13th if Kane Hooder was Jason on the next sequel? Dude, Kane is about 53 or 54 years old! He had to stop someday...

Enlgund is 61!!! What you want??? Freddy running after kids with a crutch and a nurse holding his hand?

"Mr. Krueger, you could stop now killing people and take your pills now?"

Damn....

LÜCKMANN Thursday 11/20/2008 at 01:44 PM | 24727
LOL ^^^^

I agree with Glauco 100%.

If the companies were smart they would do prequels.

I would be thrilled if BBT took on the roll.

Who else could do it though and actually be respectable?

Not really anyone....

I am suprised they are condering BBT.

I figured they would go with Ben Affleck, Jack Black or maybe even the Jonas Brothers.

Evildsm Thursday 11/20/2008 at 03:51 PM | 24744
Nope, just cant see it happening
krueger4653 Thursday 11/20/2008 at 04:07 PM | 24746
Fuck that would be shit.....
TekNik Wednesday 11/26/2008 at 12:36 AM | 25557
I said that to do that crap in Jason vs Freddy, they could put Keanu Reeves... That MATRIX Freddy fighting with Jason on the fire is a n! How could Enlgund make that shit?
LÜCKMANN Wednesday 11/26/2008 at 10:22 AM | 25587