Forums Television
First Impression: American Horror Story - Was It Good Or Was It Bad? (Possible Spoilers)

Just curious what everyone thought of this?

I'm bothered by the fact that they took a lot of material from various horror movies.

A few of the things that stand out are the sound effects from Indious.

They literally used a lot of the exact same muc from that movie, and I mean EXACT. For those of you that have seen the movie, you'll know exactly which parts I'm talking about.

Also, the cabinet scene was directly from Paranormal Activity 2.

As far as the show itself, I have to say I'm torn at this point.

The cast is top-notch, but the pilot episode didn't really hold my attention, and there were no gnificant scares . . . which was more than a little disappointing condering the show's title.

I can't really see how they're going to make a long-running series out of this.

It seems like it may have been more suited for a mini-series.

I'm going to give it the benefit of the doubt and keep watching mply because I'd like to know what the hell is going on.

I'm particularly interested in the back story of Jesca Lange's character.

On a de note, I hope I don't have to look at Dylan McDermott's bare ass multiple times in every episode.I'd love to hear some other opinions.
gummi Sunday 10/09/2011 at 03:02 AM | 84062
I thought it was good. Creepy and original in most ways. And maybe I didn't pay attention but I didn't hear the stolen muc from Indious though friend mentioned it. Which part was it in? And they stole the cabinet part from Paranomral Activity 2? No offense but that effect was used in a tons of films from Poltergeist to and the xth Sense. It's practically a staple in the paranormal horror genre.

Regarless of who they borrow from i think the series is very well done. I've read reviews saying they couldn't posbly keep this going long but I say it's a lot like the popular series, Twin Peaks. And even though that only went on 2 seasons every episode was completely wacky and kept throwing in strange event after stranger events to make something totally awesome. I just hope AHS does the same thing. Keep it twisting and turning and getting creepier the whole way. I love the cast so far and even though some parts weren't as horrifying as I hoped it still was really well made and has got me excited to see more.

And man is Jesca Lange so insane in this. Not really a spoiler but why in the hell did she steal the damn lverware. I thought that quick swipe was hilarious.
weaponx Sunday 10/09/2011 at 04:11 AM | 84067
I'll probably give it at least a few more episodes before I decide if I'll continue to watch.

Jesca Lange's final scene assured that.

I agree that it was well done as far as filming, but the use of the Indious muc and PA2's cabinet scene really irks me.

It's almost like the filmmakers were thinking to themselves, "I really like that.

Let's cut and paste it into our show and hope nobody notices."
gummi Sunday 10/09/2011 at 04:39 AM | 84068
I edited my original review to add the part about borrowing. I did see a promo that had Nightmare on Elm Street muc but that's probably just be idiots in the promotions department.
weaponx Sunday 10/09/2011 at 05:00 AM | 84072
ok i dont usually log on but i do when i need to say something i personally liked the show regardless of scares or not but the maid is a ghost and so is the girl with down syndrome and jesca lange is a ghost the only reason i know is because constance and the girl with down syndrome know whats going on plus she threatened to kill the maid...again and the maid is a hot chick to the husband and ugly to the rest the wife is pregnant but not from her husband i think not to sure and thats all i know so far only saw the first episode lol and i dont wanna see that dudes ass again its bothersome let me see the maid while she is hot that will make guys wanna watch it oh a hot chick naked fuck yea lol but no seriously its good and who cares if they take things from other movies everyone does its just the way of life we all steal something whether it be a candy bar or muc from another movie and u cant count the cabinet scene as stealing nce every ngle paranormal movie uses that shit. and p.s. i dont use puncuation online haha
godsinhell Sunday 10/09/2011 at 04:01 PM | 84084
I really enjoyed it.

I didn't even notice any milarities to Paranormal Activity or Indious. And if I go back and rewatch those movies and the last episode and I do notice them, I don't care. Cabneits do open by themselves in haunted houses after all, I think I may have actually seen it happen almost 10 years ago when I was visting my neighbors. I think a lot of movies that deal with the paranormal are often inspired by the accounts of people who claim they have been in haunted houses or

see UFOs and a lot of those claims are milar, so if several movies that deal with supernatural themes show some of same things to let the audience know the house is haunted, maybe it isn't exactly copying other movies.I liked the show..One of the things I thought was cool was how the wife saw the maid as an older woman, and how the husband saw her as a sexy younger woman. I thought that was pretty cool and original, and I can't wait to see where the story is going with that.
Moon Monday 10/10/2011 at 06:44 AM | 84147
i dont know but I'll give it a shot for a while. like it has been said, a lot of stuff has been used in other movies. It's like

stephen kings "the shining" on acid combined with a david lynch veron of a haunted house movie. vions of past horrors in house-check dead twin girls-check old woman ghost changes into hot young woman ghost-check

woman ghost seduces man of house-check evil place making man of the house kill-check child with paranormal abilities-check

husband and wife tryin to save marriage starting over in new place-check

surreal images-check non-linear story telling-check sexual deviation-check

i kept waiting to see the eraserhead baby in one of the jars in the basement. i dont know why its so hard to make something original and not just go for the shock value.
atropos Monday 10/10/2011 at 05:49 PM | 84358