Forums Television
Stephen King's "The Dark Tower" Coming to HBO

It's about time! This is coming from one extremely excited fan! After years of speculation, it looks like Stephen King's magnum opus "The Dark Tower" finds a home at HBO.

The Dark Tower project has had it's share of issues and budget woes nce day one. Universal Studios decided to pull out of the project back in July due to fiscal risk anxiety. The budget, a stout $150 million was just too steep of a gamble to play all their chips on.

At a release event for the new movie, ‘Tower Heist’, producer Brian Grazer revealed that Stephen King’s Dark Tower will be produced on HBO.

“We’re going to do 'The Dark Tower' with HBO,” Grazer told interviewers (HBOWatch). “We’ll do the TV with HBO, and we’ll do the movie with… to be determined. We’ll do it right.

We’re going to do that movie. We’ve lost $45 million out of the budget, he said.

When people say no to you enough, then you have to lose money, which we’ve done without harming the scope of the film.”

Hopefully HBO’s historically huge budgets and high production values will deliver potive results for the fan favorite Dark Tower series. Grazer reported to MTV Films that Javier Bardem (No Country For Old Men, Biutiful) will likely remain in the lead role as Roland Deschain and Ron Howard will continue as director. Whether the TV series remains faithful to the books themselves, or is mply based upon them and goes off in their own directions is unclear. All we can do is wait and see for ourselves.

Stephen King’s Dark Tower series consts of seven novels (an 8th coming in 2012) written over a 22-year period and was inspired by English author Robert Browning's poem, "Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came"; with obvious epic adventure nods to such tales as Lord of the Rings, and even L. Frank Baum's "The Wizard of Oz".

The stories describe a variant of the Arthurian Legend in which Gunslingers take the place of Arthur's Knights of the Round: The Last Gunslinger's quest to find The Man in Black and the Dark Tower.

I for one am ecstatic about this development. HBO delivers a fantastic caliber of quality to each and every series they have produced and I am so looking forward to this!

In the words of Roland Deschain, "Thankee-sai! Long days and pleasant nights!"

Sources: HBOWatch Sources: Sci-Fi Movie Hype
Jonny Sicko Wednesday 11/02/2011 at 03:01 AM | 86317
Sad no one commented on this. Sucks even more that King would let this be a movie. Make it a long series to give it more respect.
MickeyESBBeck Sunday 11/13/2011 at 12:18 AM | 86906
I haven't been on the te much lately, or I would have commented..I loved the Dark Tower

books.And I think HBO makes some awesome tv series..I loved Carnivale, and I had to get HBO added to my cable because of True Blood. The Dark Tower series should be aweome.
Moon Sunday 11/20/2011 at 02:12 AM | 87231
I haven't been on the te much lately, or I would have commented..I loved the Dark Tower

books.And I think HBO makes some awesome tv series..I loved Carnivale, and I had to get HBO added to my cable because of True Blood. The Dark Tower series should be aweome.

Carnivale was AWESOME! I loved that too!
Jonny Sicko Sunday 11/20/2011 at 02:57 AM | 87237