Forums Horror Movie Talk
What If: The Ending to "The Crazies" Remake Had Been A Little Bleaker?

What If: The Ending to Breck Eisner’s “The Crazies” Remake Had Been A Little Bleaker?

Just the other day I watched “The Crazies” for the second time, still enjoying the film. Sure, it’s not quite as bloody as I would like it, but still a pretty decent flick. I have just one complaint really. . .

Remember the scene at Sheriff Dutton’s house when he is attacked by Peggy Hamill and her son (they were wife and son to the shotgun - toting "crazy" who marched onto the baseball field at the beginning of the movie. Sheriff Dutton is stabbed in the hand with a screwdriver, later ends up putting it into Peggy’s jugular, with screwdriver still impaled in his own hand.

If "Trixie" was transferred to host via the Pierce County water system, then is it safe to say blood on blood contact would cause infection? Let’s just say it would for the sake of this article. So…

What if Sheriff Dutton had been infected? The ending could have gone a little something like this:

Barely surviving the blast that obliterates Pierce County, Dutton and his wife head toward Cedar Rapids on foot when Dutton suddenly takes a turn for the worse. Let’s say his blood contact with “Crazy” Peggy sped up the process, caung the sheriff to “flip out”.

Now Judy has to fend off her “crazy” husband to a brutal fight to the death. Being that he is phycally stronger, she would have to outsmart him. Maybe she gets hold of a weapon and is about to use it on him (but can’t bring herself to do it) and he attacks, beating the holy hell out of her. As he tries to choke her to death, she finally grabs said weapon (maybe a gun or knife, let’s just go with knife for gore’s sake) she drives the blade into the de of his head, killing him.

That’s when the military satellite links up and initiates containment protocol for Cedar Rapids.

When I first saw this flick I was totally expecting that to happen, and kind of disappointed when it didn't. Oh well.
the_vengeful_machete Tuesday 12/06/2011 at 12:32 PM | 87965
You've got to remember that they note in the film that there are a few survivors who are immune to the toxins in the water, which would explain why the blood didn't fuck up old sheriff. but anyway, I like your idea, it would have been a pretty damn gruesome way to end the flick for sure.

The Crazies... man, I really dig this movie: more so than the original, which is really rare for me.

good little topic here my friend!
Matt_Molgaard Tuesday 12/06/2011 at 07:03 PM | 87976
I LOVED this movie, the carwash scene is one of my favorite scenes in a horror flick period.

I find the whole blood transfer thing comes up a lot in "zombie" type movies, and is never really addressed.

I've just learned to accept it as a plot hole and move on lol
BloodAndRibbons Tuesday 12/06/2011 at 07:23 PM | 87982
You've got to remember that they note in the film that there are a few survivors who are immune to the toxins in the water, which would explain why the blood didn't fuck up old sheriff. but anyway, I like your idea, it would have been a pretty damn gruesome way to end the flick for sure.

The Crazies... man, I really dig this movie: more so than the original, which is really rare for me.

good little topic here my friend

Yeah, that's true. Forgot about that little tidbit of info, but man, that would have made for a better ending! LOL!!!
the_vengeful_machete Tuesday 12/06/2011 at 09:55 PM | 88002