Forums Horror Movie Reviews
'The Loved Ones': A Film Worthy of Wide Release (Review)

In case you’ve somehow missed it, I’m one of those guys who love to seek out the highly touted films that never manage to earn respectable releases. As was the case with two of my recent reviews (The Poughkeepe Tapes and All the Boys Love Mandy Lane), I’m covering another picture today that just can’t seem to find its way to US soil. Strangely enough, Sean Byrne’s grizzly tale, The Loved Ones isn't just another stellar picture with no statede release locked for the near future, it's a film that stands far superior to the vast majority of genre efforts we see hit theaters in North America. It’s really rather depresng to see American audiences suckered into watching trash like The Devil Inde while magic like this gathers dust on a shelf.

The story truly boils down to sheer mplicity, and focuses on a psychotic young lady who takes jealousy to brand new heights… or perhaps low’s is a better term. Lola likes boys, but worse, she likes to play with boys in horrific, disturbing fashion; torture is her forte, and she’s working constently to refine her abilities. Unfortunately for Brent, he’s the flavor of the week, and after declining to attend a dance with Lola, he’s also a bona fide target. With the asstance of her remarkably creepy father, Brent’s kidnapped and trapped in Lola’s own fantasy dance. However there won’t be much movement of hips at this dance, just buckets of blood, and a nifty little drill.

It genuinely disturbs me to know this feature still lingers in US market limbo. It’s a superb little flick that packs the kind of punch to drive strong American box office sales. That being said, the film is also approached in a fairly original manner, which means, of course, that American distributers and production companies probably cower in fear at the prospect of releang this gem to the masses. Why bring something new to the table when tired clichés, senseless remakes and rehashed telling’s are still pulling down reasonable numbers?

Grade: A-Follow Matt Molgaard on Twitter
Matt_Molgaard Monday 1/09/2012 at 05:42 PM | 89182
Great review, I really think more people should see this little gem. I heard about it randomly on the internet and don't know anyone else who's seen it. I was very pleasantly surprised (it kinda reminds me of an English horror film called Boy Meets Girl). I have to admit though, the character of Lola got on my nerves at times (this could have been intentional). I thought this was going to be more of a revenge flick, but she really was just crazy. Also, the thing that bugged me the most, was this pop/love song that Lola kept listening to - oh my fucking god, that has to be one of the most annoying songs I've ever heard in my life. But yeah, great movie, definitely worth checking out (I downloaded my copy).
Nick Death Monday 1/09/2012 at 09:27 PM | 89202
Great review, I really think more people should see this little gem. I heard about it randomly on the internet and don't know anyone else who's seen it. I was very pleasantly surprised (it kinda reminds me of an English horror film called Boy Meets Girl). I have to admit though, the character of Lola got on my nerves at times (this could have been intentional). I thought this was going to be more of a revenge flick, but she really was just crazy. Also, the thing that bugged me the most, was this pop/love song that Lola kept listening to - oh my fucking god, that has to be one of the most annoying songs I've ever heard in my life. But yeah, great movie, definitely worth checking out (I downloaded my copy).

yeah, i think the idea was to push lola to this point of complete maniacal behavior, which certainly grates after awhile; but fuckin a was she effective! lmao

sad knowing how many HAVEN'T seen this wicked little offering.
Matt_Molgaard Tuesday 1/10/2012 at 02:05 AM | 89216