Forums Entertainment
Do You Know Where You Live? "Hidden Square" - The Review

Several months ago, I had the pleasure of reading a little known horror novel NEVES by the yet-to-be-discovered author Carlos R Savournin. It is an independent novel I found on Lulu.com (also on sale at Amazon but for a lot more - don’t know why), and in an effort to get the name of the novel and author out there (and to hopefully start a book review thread on this te), I decided to post a review here.

Once I was done reading NEVES I did some research on the author and found that his second novel, Hidden Square was also available, so naturally, I snatched up a copy and read it in the hopes that it was just as good as his first work.

To say that it was would be a lie. It was a complete departure from the non-stop, horror-filled, page turning pace that NEVES was. What Hidden Square lacked in suspense, it made up for in rich characters and a story so thick with plot and conspiracy that it was almost too difficult to make sense of – almost. To say that Hidden Square was not as enjoyable as NEVES would also be a lie. In a word, it was just different . The story is familiar; a young couple move into a new house in a community called Hidden Square to build their perfect, white picket fence lives. After only a few days, they find that they are part of a conspiracy to free the entire community (and a ghost that lives in their house) of the curse within just two weeks, or they will be killed like the redents who lived in the house before them. To go any further into the plot would give away some important details (and make this article much, much longer).

Savournin has grown as a story-teller nce his debut novel. NEVES was a much more story-oriented piece, and Hidden Square takes the time to establish its characters and their surroundings which makes the journey stirring once the story begins to unfold. Savournin gives the reader bits and pieces of the community’s past little by little, allowing us to put it together ourselves, then blows us away with the true reveal. Like his first work, this novel is filled with many twists and turns and by the time you’re done, you’ll want to do your research before buying property again. Especially nce the book is “Inspired by True Events”. It has its eerie moments of things lurking in the attic and even dabbles in posseson – but at its core, HS is a love story. But just because it’s a love story, it doesn’t mean there can’t be some suspense and twisted games – and this novel has plenty of both.

To compare his two works is unfair because, as stated, they are different. One element remains the same, though; Carlos R Savournin is a proming horror writer – one worth keeping an eye on.

Both of his novels are available for the Kindle for just $0.99. Soft covers are available as well.

Next, I will review Double Dexter; the new novel by Jeff Lindsay from which the Showtime series is based.

Vit Carlos R Savournin's Amazon page at: http://www.amazon.com/Carlos-R-Savournin/e/B004WGHQNM/ref=ntt_athr_dp_pel_pop_1
crash3a3 Tuesday 1/17/2012 at 02:59 PM | 89616
I just wanted to reply to this post because I read the book "Hidden Square" too.

I agree with crash3a3 that it is a well written novel with excellent character development.

I really enjoyed the people in this book.

They weren't straw characters, they had depth and believability.

One thing I really enjoyed was the dialogue in the book.

It seemed real and not made up or cliched.

It was like I was listening in on a real conversation.

It was a real strength of the story to me.

A final note is that I do think Mr. Savournin is a very strong, proming writer.

I am going out and getting NEVES and look forward to reading that and anything else that I see by this writer.

Thanks for the review.

Do yourselves a favor and read these books.

You won't regret it.
Duke429 Tuesday 1/17/2012 at 05:48 PM | 89630
Sounds interesting...... I really enjoyed neves.
TheyCallMeGhostface Tuesday 1/17/2012 at 06:52 PM | 89633