Forums Horror Movie Reviews
WTF Movies: "The Woman" 2011

I just got done watching this & need to write about it while it's still fresh in my mind. An official selection in the 2011 Sundance Film Festival and EALY one of the most controveral movies I've ever seen...it's none other than "The Woman".

I first heard about this through my friends at Fright-Rags; it came very highly recommended. So I started doing a little research & found a nearly 7 minute long video of a gentleman at the Sundance premier voicing his complete disgust over the film. Anything that garners a reaction like this definitely piques my curioty.

http://youtu.be/o3lUAZLB4JY

Intrigued? The story of the film is as follows from IMDB:

When a successful country lawyer captures and attempts to "civilize" the last remaining member of a violent clan that has roamed the Northeast coast for decades, he puts the lives of his family in jeopardy.

Sounds mple enough right? Foolishly, I believed that the story was going to revolve around the likes of good intentions going horribly wrong. Boy was I WAY off. Courtesy of the back of the DVD:

A domineering, upper-middle class father abducts a feral woman while out hunting. With his twisted set of ideals, he decides to embark upon a deranged project - to "civilize" her.

At first glance, the family in this movie appears to be your typical "All-American" family. Looks are deceiving as you will come to find out. The male characters in this family turn out to be some of the most reprehenble people ever; the mother is portrayed as a weakling who when she does finally work up the nerve to stand up & say "enough" finds out it's too late. And the daughters...well you'll have to watch to see.

I don't want to give too much away as this is definitely a film I feel SHOULD be seen to be believed. There's enough dark comedy in it to make you laugh, enough gore to quench the thirst for blood, plenty of moments that will make your jaw drop with shock or disgust & ultimately leave you thinking to yourself "WTF?!?!?!?", and ultimately make you wonder just how many REAL monsters potentially live near you...not in the wild.

If you're still not sold, here's a sampling of "The Woman".

http://youtu.be/nEKFeAYmN9c
CZW_CJBecker Monday 3/26/2012 at 01:19 AM | 91758
I've been kind of back and forth on seeing this. Is there a lot of sexual violence?
dew Monday 3/26/2012 at 02:56 AM | 91767
I've been kind of back and forth on seeing this. Is there a lot of sexual violence?

There is a scene of rape in it. It's not really graphic; might make some uncomfortable. There's also some other implied acts in the film.
CZW_CJBecker Monday 3/26/2012 at 04:24 PM | 91776