Forums Horror Movie Reviews
Bang Your Head to AC/DC While Machines Kill People. "MAXIMUM OVERDRIVE" Fan Review

I was first introduced to Maximum Overdrive when I was just a kid, and after viewing the film I took me a helluva long time to come anywhere near a truck stop. Now that I'm older, I can only look back and laugh my ass off.The film start's out with a crawl that explains that the earth will be caught in the tail of a “Rea-M rogue comet for 8 day's. We then see the Earth, engulfed in a mysterious green cloud. We are then in front of the local bank, the bank's gn is telling us the time, and temperature, and then all of a sudden we see the gn change with the word's “FUCK YOU” displayed in cap's. We then see a man approach an ATM, and insert his card. As we get a closer look we see it is Stephen King, who also directed, after he insert's his card, the ATM Call's him an “Ass-hole”.

Opening Credits start to roll. With

AC/DC providing the soundtrack, we then see trucks, and cars going over a draw-bridge, and then we see the inde of the draw-bridge control room, were we see the control's start to move by themselves.

The draw-bridge starts to rise by itself with cars and trucks on it caung a mass accident, we then cut to a huge 18 wheeler coming down the highway, slowly it comes into view revealing that it has a huge plastic demonic face reminiscent of Spider-man's nemes The Green Goblin. The truck eventually pulls into “The Dixy Boy Truck Stop” and here we meet our “Hero: Billy Robinson (Emilio Estevez), and his ass-hole of a boss Bubba Hendershot (Pat Hingle).

Mr. Hendershot begins yelling for Billy, and saying he need's to speak with him. After asking another employee to help with eggs, Billy then goes into Mr. Hendershot's office and asks Billy to work for nine hours. However he only clocks in for eight he tell's Mr. Hendershot that he is not going to do it. Mr Hendershot then reminds him that he's is on parole and he realizes that he has no choice but to say yes.

After coming out of the office we learn that just about all of the employees are on parole. We are then taken to a scene of a female employee trying to prepare breakfast. An electric carving knife is shown moving on its own, slowly it spins itself around and eventually the cook's arm winds up under the knife. It then turn's itself on, cutting her arm and releang a lot of blood.

We then cut to the game room were a man is standing in amazement as he bears witness to the machines that are all going completely out of control. A gas station attendant is outde pumping gas in our lead 18 wheeler truck, and then all of a sudden the gas pump stops on it's own. He pulls out the pump (and being a moron he put's it up to his eye, why? I don't know). The gas begins to spurt out of the hose, and all over his face and straight into his eye's blinding him for a short time.

After this chain of events we are then taken back in the game-room where we find the man loading his pockets with change, and cigarettes from the out of control machines. As he begins to leave the room he notices a video-game that begins to hypnotizes him.

He then puts his hand on the de of the game and is burnt to a crisp.

The next scene takes us to a pee-wee baseball game where we see a team raiding there hands in victory. As part of the celebration the coach offers to buy the team sodas. What happens next is the funniest scenes in the film. The coach walks up to the soda machine, put's a coin in, and nothing happens. He begins hitting and kicking it a few times, he even bends down a little bit to see why no soda are coming out.

Finally the machine give up a soda , but it does so in a way where it shoots the can and hits him smack dab in the hitting him in the nuts!This causes him to fall to his knees where yet another can is shot out this time and hitting him in the forehead and killing him. One of the team member tries to revive him but to no avail, he then runs for his life as the soda machine begins to spit out can after can pelting the entire. One of the boy's takes off on his on a bike, but eventually he gets hit and he flips over the handle-bars and onto the ground in front of the score-broad. We then see a huge steam-roller brake through the score broad and it runs over t the kid revealing a really good scene where we see the kids poor little head gets crushed.

We are then taken to a scene to which we see a red caddy coming down the highway. We become introduced to Brett (Laura Harrington) and the bible salesmen(Don't know his name). I have no idea why the character of Brett is even in this film, to be honest she brings nothing to the table in the film, and bedes acting like a complete slut, she gets extremely annoying really fast because she tries so hard to act like “The ultimate bad ass.” However as we all know, when the brown stuff hits the fan, she act's like a scared cat. OK, rant over! While driving Brett and her passenger hears a report to get off the highway, they start to turn into “The Dixy Boy” truck stop but not before a whole lot of bickering and yelling ensues. We then see the lead 18 wheeler truck begin to start by itself with the bible salesman its target.

We are then introduced to the most annoying couple in film history, Curt (John Short) and Connie(Yeardley Smith). All the character Connie does is bitch and moan. After about a half an hour of hearing her annoying voice you'll be so tempted to hit stop the move, eject the disc and then throw it across the room! I did find the the character of Curt to be way more tolerable.

After this we see a lot of pointless deaths occur, and a bunch of big rigs driving around in a circles for half an hour. After a few days and nights of this, the trucks begin ung Morse code to threaten the humans that if the don't begin to pump gas they (the trucks) will all die! I always laugh at this part because it's just so ridiculous. Anyways, shortly after the trucks are fed they decide to kill the humans regardless, and sadly this is the best part of the film. A lot of action is shown with trucks running through the building and destroying anything and everything around them. After deciding to go to a place the only allows sail boats, the group sets out to escape. That's it, movie ends.

I loved this movie as a child, but I am no longer a child, and after watching this film as a grown man I must admit it made me cringe. It does have a really great soundtrack, no complaint’s about that, but some of the movie (actually a lot of the movie) is pretty far fetched for my liking. It was Stephen King's first film he directed, and to the best of my knowledge he has not directed any nce. The film flopped at the box office, not earning nearly as much as it was made for. But every once in a while for some unknown reason I will pop it in and watch it.

I would like to say that if you have never seen this film, I would recommend that you give it a whirl, and remember the next time a big rig pulls out in front of you, and you flip the driver off.that there's actually a driver behind the wheel to flip off.

4/10

~Chainsaw27~
Chainsaw27 Saturday 9/08/2012 at 11:50 PM | 96176
As a kid this was the best film ever made, I loved every minute but it completley disappeared in the UK sometime in the early 90s when CIC video went down. For years I searched for it, finally I found it round about 2000 and I was disappointed upon viewing it, but then I watched it again a couple of years ago and loved it, granted it's not as good as it could be but in comparison to the 97 remake it was a work of genius and the first 20 mins are great. For me I'll keep this film as a fond memory as I'm aware it's really not that good unless your in the right mood
krsdacritter Sunday 9/09/2012 at 01:05 PM | 96191
As a kid this was the best film ever made, I loved every minute but it completley disappeared in the UK sometime in the early 90s when CIC video went down. For years I searched for it, finally I found it round about 2000 and I was disappointed upon viewing it, but then I watched it again a couple of years ago and loved it, granted it's not as good as it could be but in comparison to the 97 remake it was a work of genius and the first 20 mins are great. For me I'll keep this film as a fond memory as I'm aware it's really not that good unless your in the right mood

I agree with you 100%. As a kid, I thought it was the best thing ever, but as I grew up, and watched more horror film's, I found it to be to far fetched for my taste, I like film's that make you think "This could happen." I watch this film once a year just to be reminded of old times, but you are right on the remake "Trucks" I think it was called.

Hope you enjoyed the review,

~Chainsaw27~
Chainsaw27 Sunday 9/09/2012 at 08:09 PM | 96204