Forums Breaking Horror News and Rumors
Dead Island Riptide Controversy! When Did Gaming Become Politically Correct?

When did video gaming become a politically correct indoor sport? There's been a lot of controversy over the smallest things lately. no sooner does Dead Island send out a press release for their very cool female torso statue special edition set, they send out an apology because apparently the statue Offended some people. What kind of a world do we live in? You can't please all the people all of the time. Companies seem intent capturing the market that its project is mply not geared for, or more to the point that market in question, is not interested in their product. No matter what they do to make it seem appealing.

The videogame market is primarily, no offense, overweight and underweight guys who don't get laid, teenagers that wouldn't know what to do with a woman if they had one, and of course grown man that don't care. there are women gamers out there but it is a minority compared to the male population. It is unclear how many complaints came in this morning via twitter and other social media outlets, but reaction to the Dead Islands female torso statue included in their Limited Edition Bait set caught a lot of heat.

This is the press release that just came out:

“We deeply apologize for any offense caused by the Dead Island Riptide “Zombie Bait Edition”, the collector’s edition announced for Europe and Australia. Like many gaming companies, Deep lver has many offices in different countries, which is why sometimes different verons of Collector’s Editions come into being for North America, Europe, Australia, and Aa.

For the limited run of the Zombie Bait Edition for Europe and Australia, a decion was made to include a gruesome statue of a zombie torso, which was cut up like many of our fans had done to the undead enemies in the original Dead Island.

We ncerely regret this choice. We are collecting feedback continuously from the Dead Island community, as well as the international gaming community at large, for ongoing internal meetings with Deep lver’s entire international team today. For now, we want to reiterate to the community, fans and industry how deeply sorry we are, and that we are committed to making sure this will never happen again.”

Sound familiar? They issued a milar apology statement with the release of data island due to some leaked code that named a character "Feminist Whore". Now that's wrong, irresponble, and just plain stupid. So stupid in fact that one might think that it was done to create controversy in the first place. That's the theory that some believe and it's valid. However, video games are a buness, and it's mply what we do and how we do things. We do with film we do with muc, why not video games?

_large.jpg

Earlier this year there was milar controveres surrounding Wii U's ZombieU. They came out with a very cool add that apparently offended some people. Why? Because it featured a hot girly who becomes a hot zombie when you turn the page. Who is offended by this and more importantly what do they look like? I can go on and on and will probably upset a lot of people with the truth, but bacally people are usually offended by it and photos of that nature because they don't look like that. I'm a pretty decent looking guy, but I don't have a x pack. I don't look like the guy on the pack of underwear that I buy. Most men don't. Are we going to go and get offended just because we don't look like the chiseled Uber man featured on the package? No. Why? Because it's Petty. They are selling an image. I hate to break it to you, but average doesn't sell.

Much like the weird, overweight, Wal-Mart shopper that ends up on American ideal try outs and is hurt, shocked and offended that she isn't picked. IT'S AMERICAN IDOL YOU MORON! What is it that you think they're selling? It sure as hell isn't talent alone. Its marketability.

My point is, video game companies need to stop trying to please everyone. You can't please all of the people all of the time. You can't sell your product to everyone. This country has become so obsessed with money to every time somebody says BOO, we take a step back.that's one reason that our movie posters, films themselves, and just about everything that we make has become so bland and uninteresting compared to other countries.

Women, yes, from the research I've done, its mostly women who are offended and tweeting, I find it interesting most of you attack the ads stating that you don't want to be "An anorexic girl with fake implants", But you have avatars that are hot little anime characters who are in fact anorexic and have

huge boobs. your avatar is how you want to be represented, is it not? I'm confused. Just saying. not trying to attack anybody, just making a point.

It's just a game, it's just an ad. Does this really affect your life that much.? Do you think you're going to effect change? No. We are not a puritanical society, never have been, never will be. And last I checked by the way, it's a zombie game! A game with half eaten, hacked apart humans and living dead. The game isn't selling hugs and puppy dog tails.

If you don't like an ad, than It wasn't made for you. There will be another one that catches your attention. And maybe there won't be. But why waste your energy attacking a company's marketing campaign. They're out here to make money, they are not here to be anybody's role model.

I may not applaud the reasoning behind some of these ads, but I applaud the ads themselves. They're fun, interesting, and something that I would hang on my wall. Lighten up people, it's just a game.

Other Horrific Mungs:

http://digitalcelluloid13.blogspot.com/2012/12/digital-celluloid-norman-reedus-and.html#.UQQ4-GeJNIU

http://digitalcelluloid13.blogspot.com/2012/10/digital-celluloid-dead-island-riptide_2708.html#.UQQ4-meJNIU
sinful Celluloid Saturday 1/26/2013 at 07:14 PM | 99856
I have to say as a female horror, comic and gaming nerd I am getting so ck of this political correctness that has to be used every time something comes out because someone might get offended and we just can't have that. It is obnoxious to see people getting mad over the smallest of things if you don't like a show don't watch, don't like a game don't buy it, don't like a book/comic, then don't buy it.

I understand that some companies court this kind of controveral to further their sales, but if people didn't jump the gun and have an "off their heads" attitude about stuff like this it would lose its effect.
Spaced Sunday 1/27/2013 at 08:16 PM | 99876
Totally agree and thank you for reading :)
sinful Celluloid Sunday 1/27/2013 at 08:45 PM | 99877