Forums Breaking Horror News and Rumors
Two New Faces Added to the 'Kinky' "Crimson Peak"

A few new details have emerged on the Guillermo Del Toro flick, “Crimson Peak.”First being that Tom Hiddleston is replacing Benedict Cumberbatch.

Tom stated that after reading the script, he loved the characters and really felt excited to be apart of the film.

Another cast member change is Emma Stone, who sadly had to drop out due to scheduling conflicts. This truly saddens me, as I have been wanting to see her play in a horror film for some time now. I honestly felt that she would have done great things with a Del Toro style film.

Now, we have Mia Wakowska replacing Stone for the role.

Del Toro has recently let out a statement to Deadline on what to expect from the film.

“A very set-oriented, clascal but at the same time modern take on the ghost story. It will allow me to play with the conventions of the genre I know and love, and at the same time subvert the old rules.”

As I stated in my previous article about the film, Del Toro and Robbins had created the first draft for the script. Now, the script is getting a re-write by Del Toro himself and Lucinda Coxen. Their goal? To create a story that pays homage to the clasc haunted house stories.

“To me that is Robert Wise’s The Haunting, which was a big movie, beautifully directed, with the house built magnificently. And the other grand daddy is Jack Clayton’s The Innocents. Ive always tried to make a big-zed horror movie like the ones I grew up watching. Films like The Omen, The Exorcist and The Shinning, the latter of which is another

Mount Everest of the haunted house movie. I loved the way that Kubrick had such control over the big sets he used, and how big production value was. I think that people are getting used to horror subjects done as found footage or B-value budgets. I wanted Crimson Peak to feel like a throwback.”

Production is set to begin early in the year. It is described as, “a ghost story set in England, which will see Del Toro reinvigorate the horror directing talents that made him a big name.” “Crimson Peak” is planned on having an R rating, strictly by the content of the film. He states that, “while it will be an English language film, it will be a return to his Spanish horror roots.”

“Crimson Peak is a much, much smaller movie, completely character driven. Its an adult movie, an R-rated movie, pretty adult. Shockingly different from anything ive done in the English language. Normally, when I go to do a movie in America for the spectacle and younger audience, for Blade or whatever. This movie’s tone is scary and it’s the first time I get to do a movie more akin to what I do in the Spanish movies…Crimson peak has moments that are very visceral, phycal violence. Youre in this sort of sedate romance and then there is this brutal moment where youre like, ‘WHOA!’ And it has a lot of kinky moments. The only kinky moment ive every shot is the leg fuck in The Devil’s Backbone. This has a little more kinkiness than that.”

This film is definitely shaping up to be one to watch, even with the cast changes, I am still very excited about this film. Del Toro is GREAT at gothic horror, and regardless if we get this in late 2014 or early 2015, ill be there!
JohnCorley92 Wednesday 9/11/2013 at 06:11 PM | 102239