Forums Horror Movie Talk
What if the 1967 Emmit Kelly clown mask was choosen instead?

What if Bill Malone HADN'T opted to go with the now infamous Kirk?

What if they had used the 1967 Emmit Kelly Clown Mask instead?

Justin found some great Emmit Kelly Clown mask pics for me and I've grabbed a few famous shots from Halloween & Halloween 2.

I've come up with what those images might have looked like if it had been the Emmit Kelly Clown Mask instead.

As I was making these the entire vibe and feel of the Halloween movies changed for me.Would we today be doing variations of this mask instead?

http://i32.tinypic.com/eb91eh.jpg" class="photoborder" />

DaShape Saturday 3/15/2008 at 07:52 AM | 5494
Holy wow! Fenner that is too cool, we have always talked about wanting to replace the Shatner with the clown mask to see what it would have looked like. You know, it is a lot creepier than I thought it would be...

and in honor of National Kirk Day everyone must end there post with a word about Bill....

off to bed, see you guys tomorrow... Shatner be thy name
Horror Domain - Cursed Evil Overlord Saturday 3/15/2008 at 07:56 AM | 5495
Wow. Doesn't have quite the same effect, but it's still creepy as hell.

I wish I were William Adam Shatner.
Myers31TKD Saturday 3/15/2008 at 08:18 AM | 5500
Nice photoshop work! Wonder if it was painted white like they did the Kirk though??
CartyParty Saturday 3/15/2008 at 03:34 PM | 5512
i thought they did it white
Johnny Bisco Saturday 3/15/2008 at 03:59 PM | 5514
The Emmit Kelly mask? I hadn't heard that did they paint it white also???
Horror Domain - Cursed Evil Overlord Saturday 3/15/2008 at 04:00 PM | 5515
I've not ever heard about it being painted white either . . . maybe we should consult the powers.

Here we go guys, another mystery about Halloween to solve.

IF anybody can confirm it was suppose to be white I'll do more pics up with a white clown mask.
DaShape Saturday 3/15/2008 at 04:48 PM | 5519

href="http://www.geocities.com/aftermath_what13/TOMMY_LEE_WALACE_INTERVIEW_PAGE.html">http://www.geocities.com/aftermath_what ... _PAGE.html

^^There are a few things in this interview that lead me to suspect it was never painted white. The main one being that he said, "it was clear that a clown would be an excellent subject as a bad guy. And of course, that has been worn out on a number of pictures, including my own veron of Stephen King's IT".

For some reason I can't see him making comparisons to other clowns with just a plain white mask. This is in no way proof, but it did make me sway to one de. Whether or not this post is useful for you will decide it's relevancy.
Myers31TKD Saturday 3/15/2008 at 10:12 PM | 5538
Actually if you read a bit more of the interview it seems to suggest the EK mask clown was left as is:

TLW: Well, John asked me to go and find a couple of masks. It was clear from the script that this Michael Myers character was going to run around in the little town of Haddonfield wearing a mask. That was about all we knew. My mandate was to go to a hobby store and find a few masks and see what we could come up with. So I chose two. One was the old Emmett Kelly clown mask. The other - I wanted to try a much plainer, starker thing. So I just looked for a human face and the most likely one for what I wanted was the William Shatner mask. First we modeled the Emmett Kelly mask. I can't remember who put it on first. We had someone in the production office modeling these things. My girlfriend, soon to become my wife, Nancy Kyes - back then she was known as Nancy Loomis - had come up with a mechanic's jumpsuit. We put that on the person who was going to model the masks, and put the Emmett Kelly mask on first. And when the guy came out - it was pretty chilling. It was clear that a clown would be an excellent subject as a bad guy. And of course, that has been worn out on a number of pictures, including my own veron of Stephen King's IT.

HW.C: Right.

TLW: We were pretty impressed after modeling the clown. We said, "let's try the other one." I had just fiddled with the William Shatner mask. I had opened up the eyeholes more, tore off the deburns, messed up the hair a little bit, and painted it a really stark white. That's something that the rest of the HALLOWEENs never did get right. And it's so mple it's absurd - why all the rest of the movies couldn't make the Shape look like the Shape! Anyway, when the William Shatner mask came out of the bathroom, we all just took a deep breath. It was the most chilling thing any of us had ever seen. I guess it was the idea that someone would choose that mask to wear, because it was so plain. You had to say, "What's wrong with this person for choong that? That's really ck." And it really sent a chill through us and there was no question at that moment - that was the winner.

From this it seems to me at least they tried the EK clown mask as is then used the modified Kirk. They refer to trying the clown then going for something plain and stark. It doesn't sound at all like they painted the clown plain white but I could be wrong.
lblambert Saturday 3/15/2008 at 10:28 PM | 5542
Interesting to know.
quietonthesetstudios Saturday 3/15/2008 at 10:33 PM | 5545
Actually if you read a bit more of the interview it seems to suggest the EK mask clown was left as is:

TLW: Well, John asked me to go and find a couple of masks. It was clear from the script that this Michael Myers character was going to run around in the little town of Haddonfield wearing a mask. That was about all we knew. My mandate was to go to a hobby store and find a few masks and see what we could come up with. So I chose two. One was the old Emmett Kelly clown mask. The other - I wanted to try a much plainer, starker thing. So I just looked for a human face and the most likely one for what I wanted was the William Shatner mask. First we modeled the Emmett Kelly mask. I can't remember who put it on first. We had someone in the production office modeling these things. My girlfriend, soon to become my wife, Nancy Kyes - back then she was known as Nancy Loomis - had come up with a mechanic's jumpsuit. We put that on the person who was going to model the masks, and put the Emmett Kelly mask on first. And when the guy came out - it was pretty chilling. It was clear that a clown would be an excellent subject as a bad guy. And of course, that has been worn out on a number of pictures, including my own veron of Stephen King's IT.

HW.C: Right.

TLW: We were pretty impressed after modeling the clown. We said, "let's try the other one." I had just fiddled with the William Shatner mask. I had opened up the eyeholes more, tore off the deburns, messed up the hair a little bit, and painted it a really stark white. That's something that the rest of the HALLOWEENs never did get right. And it's so mple it's absurd - why all the rest of the movies couldn't make the Shape look like the Shape! Anyway, when the William Shatner mask came out of the bathroom, we all just took a deep breath. It was the most chilling thing any of us had ever seen. I guess it was the idea that someone would choose that mask to wear, because it was so plain. You had to say, "What's wrong with this person for choong that? That's really ck." And it really sent a chill through us and there was no question at that moment - that was the winner.

From this it seems to me at least they tried the EK clown mask as is then used the modified Kirk. They refer to trying the clown then going for something plain and stark. It doesn't sound at all like they painted the clown plain white but I could be wrong.

Right. We've got the same point.

;)
Myers31TKD Saturday 3/15/2008 at 11:10 PM | 5549
sounds to me like they didnt mod it at all thenbut then again had they chose to use it instead of the kirk maybe they would have modded it (maybe over likeness or copyright issues?)

doubtful but posble
Johnny Bisco Saturday 3/15/2008 at 11:19 PM | 5552
Obviously the clown mask would have tied to the the open sequence a bit more (little mikey with the clown mask and now all grown up with a clown mask).

It wasn't painted white in the opening and I'm willing to bet they wouldn't have painted it white when the adult myers wore it.

However, this isn't to say they wouldn't have changed some things but we'll never know for sure I guess.

Needless to say, based on the article they had no plans to paint it white up to the point of modeling the shatner.
DaShape Sunday 3/16/2008 at 01:06 AM | 5565
You guys want to know what would have happened if the EK mask was used in the place of Bill?? All those anal Myers idiots out there would be picking apart, and hoopin and hollerin about that mask not being recreated right.
SithLord Sunday 3/16/2008 at 01:10 AM | 5566
You guys want to know what would have happened if the EK mask was used in the place of Bill?? All those anal Myers idiots out there would be picking apart, and hoopin and hollerin about that mask not being recreated right. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Johnny Bisco Sunday 3/16/2008 at 01:32 AM | 5568
I wonder what the H5 EK mask would have looked like? LOL
DaShape Sunday 3/16/2008 at 02:30 AM | 5583
I wonder what the H5 EK mask would have looked like? LOL better than what was given to us
Johnny Bisco Sunday 3/16/2008 at 02:32 AM | 5584
Has a very creepy look to indeed! But it's just not the same at all. That plain white, expresonless face nailed it.

-Dexter
Doppelganger Tuesday 3/18/2008 at 07:20 PM | 5808