Forums Horror Collectibles
The Wolf Man (1941)

I bought this movie and Frankenstein today and I have to say I didn't like it too much. The movie's only an hour and 10 minutes and he is only the wolf man for about the last 20 minutes of the film. This'll probably be another movie that I prefer the remake to the original.

I hope Frankenstein is better.
DrenTheLiar Saturday 4/11/2009 at 10:52 PM | 42427
an hour and 10 mins was standard length for horror movies in those days

and as far as the wolfman only being in it for 20 mins well film makers back then used a little thing called build up and suspense and they had more story and believeable dialouge than 99 percent of the crap that comes out now (the later sequels that came out in the late 40s and 50s are another subject for another time)

and believe it or not when the first horror "talkies" came out people were pasng out from being so scared (Dracula Frankenstein etc)

the original Wolfman will own any remake that comes out period!

like what you want to like but you have to remember that when these came out there wasnt generation short attention span going to see them
Johnny Bisco Sunday 4/12/2009 at 10:41 PM | 42538
I watched this movie open-minded but it just still wasn't what I was expecting. I like build up and all but for it being 20 minutes short of today's standard it just didn't feel like there much material that the title would make people think. But yes, that was a different time. As far as the wolf man portion, it was great. I like that.
DrenTheLiar Monday 4/13/2009 at 01:21 AM | 42551
yes i like my movies a bit longer as well but also remember too when you went to the movies back then you got news reels, cartoons, a serial, a secondary movie then the main feature so to make every movie an hour and a half or greater would have been overkill
Johnny Bisco Monday 4/13/2009 at 01:46 AM | 42558
Out of the old clascs I like The Wolf Man and Creature From the Black Lagoon the best followed by Frankenstein. Dracula can be a little tedious to watch. Its a forgotten era but these films are gems that we owe everything to. Theres many good books that go into the make-up and work on the set degns of these films. Its incredible what they accomplished!
ny ghoul Monday 4/13/2009 at 03:34 AM | 42560
watch the spanish veron of Dracula

way superior to the American veron in everyway (sorry Bela!)
Johnny Bisco Monday 4/13/2009 at 07:42 PM | 42602
watch the spanish veron of Dracula

WTF??
DrenTheLiar Monday 4/13/2009 at 09:33 PM | 42606
they filmed the movie at the same time on the same set with Spanish actors, the movie is longer and has more "horror" in it and is so much better
Johnny Bisco Monday 4/13/2009 at 10:15 PM | 42612
thanks for the tip...I'll try and track it down!
ny ghoul Tuesday 4/14/2009 at 04:34 AM | 42685

and as far as the wolfman only being in it for 20 mins well film makers back then used a little thing called build up and suspense and they had more story and believeable dialouge than 99 percent of the crap that comes out now (the later sequels that came out in the late 40s and 50s are another subject for another time)

and believe it or not when the first horror "talkies" came out people were pasng out from being so scared (Dracula Frankenstein etc)

like what you want to like but you have to remember that when these came out there wasnt generation short attention span going to see them

Amen brother!! The movies back then were well written, well acted, and far superior to the crap we see today. Sadly, children these days just don't get it. Instead of seeing a monster with actual character interacting with developed characters, they prefer a 2-dimenonal slasher killing off 2-dimenonal teenage stereotypes.watch the spanish veron of Dracula

Agree with you here too. Bela's Dracula is an iconic character but the Spanish veron was so much better.thanks for the tip...I'll try and track it down

It's included in the Legacy Collection set
lblambert Tuesday 4/14/2009 at 11:30 PM | 42773

Amen brother!! The movies back then were well written, well acted, and far superior to the crap we see today. Sadly, children these days just don't get it. Instead of seeing a monster with actual character interacting with developed characters, they prefer a 2-dimenonal slasher killing off 2-dimenonal teenage stereotypes.

You guys hit the nail right on the head. Those movies had a lot to offer that you just don't see in movies these days. I guess that's why some people don't necessarily recognize it.
Myers31TKD Wednesday 4/15/2009 at 12:56 AM | 42780
D'oh! Lee.....My LEGACY COLLECTION set is staring right back at me. Time to dust them off and dig into the extras lol. Thanks Bisco and Lee!
ny ghoul Wednesday 4/15/2009 at 05:13 PM | 42883
dust that sucker off and let me know what you think
Johnny Bisco Wednesday 4/15/2009 at 07:57 PM | 42896
I should have just gotten the Legacy DVDs at Borders instead cause they were only like $25. Instead, I paid $20 for just standard, one film DVDs.

DrenTheLiar Wednesday 4/15/2009 at 08:49 PM | 42901