Forums Horror Movie Talk
Friday the 13th Domestic Box office comparison

You knew this was coming LOL.

This really shows a kind of downward slide the for the series (with the exception of VS.).

Funny thing is, this isn't adjust for inflation and the original still comes in 2nd LOL.

(Not Adjusted for Inflation)

Friday the 13th: $39,754,601 Friday the 13th Part 2: $21,722776 Friday the 13th Part 3: $34,581,519 The Final Chapter: $32,980,880 A New Beginning: $21,930,418 Jason Lives: $19,472,057 The New Blood: $19,170,001 Takes Manhattan: $14,343,976 Jason Goes to Hell: $15,935,068 Jason X: $13,121,555 Freddy vs. Jason: 82,622,655

So FvsJ is king of the mountain ealy.

Still, you can kind of see things go south once Part 5 comes out.

Crap, that movie didn't even have Jason in it but for 3 minutes of screen time max. and I can ealy see people watching that and never seeing another one (no offense part 5,we love you in your own special way).

What is interesting is the drop from the original to part 2 and then it bounces back up to part 3?

Part 2 was the first time Jason saw any real action and it was down by almost $20 million?!?!?!?

Anybody have an explanation for that one?

Now Part 3 was during the 3-D kick and that could be the cause for the rise in numbers.

And our bottom three are the most recent (excluding VS again).

To Hell followed by New York and rock bottom with X.

Funny that Kane Hodder is often seen as THE JASON yet all his movies as Jason, Kane has never past $20 million.

I'm really shocked by this probably more than anything else.
DaShape Wednesday 3/19/2008 at 07:32 AM | 5913
I was starting to doubt if I'd see this. Funny how there's no need to adjust this one for inflation. Good to see that the numbers back up my theory that Jason X shouldn't exist. I've always liked Part 2 more than most... so I too am a bit puzzled by the low numbers. The one that really hit the nail on the head(for me at least), was Part 3. I've always been a HUGE fan of it.
Myers31TKD Wednesday 3/19/2008 at 07:44 AM | 5915
Yeah I am kinda bothered by the numbers on pt.2. I always liked that one the best. I figured VS would claim the top spot.
-Dexter
Doppelganger Wednesday 3/19/2008 at 03:21 PM | 5925
I was starting to doubt if I'd see this. Funny how there's no need to adjust this one for inflation. Good to see that the numbers back up my theory that Jason X shouldn't exist. I've always liked Part 2 more than most... so I too am a bit puzzled by the low numbers. The one that really hit the nail on the head(for me at least), was Part 3. I've always been a HUGE fan of it. jason x was great in its own campy way and the liquid nitrogen death scene was THE best jason death scene ever

also one thing to take into conderation about jason x

it was leaked online almost a year before it came out and im potive that kept many from going to see it otherwise it would have done much better
Johnny Bisco Wednesday 3/19/2008 at 11:00 PM | 5929
I agree there. That liquid nitrogen scene was awesome. I did like X as well. Of course not nearly as much as #2. #2 has one of the creepiest scenes in horror history imo.

-Dexter
Doppelganger Wednesday 3/19/2008 at 11:08 PM | 5931
Part 2 was the first time Jason saw any real action and it was down by almost $20 million?!?!?!?

I have a guess and it's nothing more than that but I'd say it was due to increased competition. After F13 was a huge hit in 1980, a year later (when Part 2 was released) there were a lot of milar films in the theatres which drew some of the crowd that would go to see Part 2.

That could be totally wrong but that's my guess.
lblambert Wednesday 3/19/2008 at 11:15 PM | 5932

I have a guess and it's nothing more than that but I'd say it was due to increased competition. After F13 was a huge hit in 1980, a year later (when Part 2 was released) there were a lot of milar films in the theatres which drew some of the crowd that would go to see Part 2.

That could be totally wrong but that's my guess.

Good thought Lee, that could very well be the case.

Plus, The iconic Hockey Mask showed up in Part III and if they advertised that along with 3-D I can see why the numbers would jump back up.

As far as X is concerned.

I LOVE some parts of it and HATE some parts of it . . . so I'm kind of down the middle.

It kind of makes fun of itself in a good way however that also hurts it as far as not taking itself seriously.

Agreed, liquid nitrogen scene was great.

However, hated the android chick's personality and how she owned Jason . . .wasn't too happy with that.

Plus, I wasn't all to thrilled with Jason's Look.

The hock had always had the same look (even in To Hell the shape was constent) but in X the nose was changed.

Change is good sometimes (but strictly in my opinion . . not fact) but I didn't like the new Hock.***de note, my two favorite Jason looks were Part VII and To Hell and least two favorite were Part V and X. (not favorite flicks, favorite looks)
DaShape Wednesday 3/19/2008 at 11:40 PM | 5938
Plus, The iconic Hockey Mask showed up in Part III and if they advertised that along with 3-D I can see why the numbers would jump back up.

I don't know about that. Keep in mind that at the time the hockey mask was no more iconic than the burlap sack of part 2. The mask became an icon over time but it was far from it when part 3 was released. The 3D gimmick was going through a bit of a resurgence at the time but I think it was less of a factor than the fact that there had already been 2 decent Fridays.
lblambert Wednesday 3/19/2008 at 11:57 PM | 5946

I don't know about that. Keep in mind that at the time the hockey mask was no more iconic than the burlap sack of part 2. The mask became an icon over time but it was far from it when part 3 was released. The 3D gimmick was going through a bit of a resurgence at the time but I think it was less of a factor than the fact that there had already been 2 decent Fridays.

I'd love to find out why then the "resurge" from part 2 - part 3?

(good point about the hock not being very popular yet).
DaShape Wednesday 3/19/2008 at 11:59 PM | 5947

I don't know about that. Keep in mind that at the time the hockey mask was no more iconic than the burlap sack of part 2. The mask became an icon over time but it was far from it when part 3 was released. The 3D gimmick was going through a bit of a resurgence at the time but I think it was less of a factor than the fact that there had already been 2 decent Fridays. actually the 3d resurgance started WITH part 3

all the work and camera development they did on that movie is what led to jaws 3d, amityville 3d etc..............
Johnny Bisco Thursday 3/20/2008 at 12:01 AM | 5948
Sounds like this is a detective job for . . .. . .PATRICK!!!!!
DaShape Thursday 3/20/2008 at 12:27 AM | 5968
DA DA DA DAAA!!!

I'll do what I can.

Myers31TKD Thursday 3/20/2008 at 12:30 AM | 5970
DA DA DA DAAA!!!

I'll do what I can.HAHAHAHAH, it's like I threw up the bat gnal or something LOL.

Find out why there was a huge drop in Friday the 13th Part II's box office take in and then why it went back up for part 3
DaShape Thursday 3/20/2008 at 12:33 AM | 5972
Aww dammit. I'm supposed to be the Detective!! Patrick you better not spoil the good name of good Detectives!! -Dexter
Doppelganger Thursday 3/20/2008 at 12:34 AM | 5973
You forgot to give Patrick a timeline...we need to know within the hour or else we'll send misonaries to his door
lblambert Thursday 3/20/2008 at 12:37 AM | 5975
Oh boy, that sounds like trouble. I hate them damned misonaries.. Patrick you have been warned!! -Dexter
Doppelganger Thursday 3/20/2008 at 12:39 AM | 5978
Ok... this is a real mystery. Send the misonaries... this might take all night. I'll post some sort of explanation shortly, but as of now... I'm stumped.

Myers31TKD Thursday 3/20/2008 at 01:53 AM | 6044
come on chop chop!

i get asked for screen caps and BAM within 2 hours they are done

whats the hold up?

chop chop!
Johnny Bisco Thursday 3/20/2008 at 01:56 AM | 6046
LOL Patrick you have to set some standards for yourself. See Bisco here? He has set some great ones. Why can't you do the same!!!! -Dexter
Doppelganger Thursday 3/20/2008 at 02:20 AM | 6052
I'm sorry. My job's just not as hard as walking to a DVD shelf and freeze-framing a scene. I'm just plain useless I guess. This is my two weeks notice. Just mesng with you Bisco. Had to keep up my "Negative Nancy" image for the night.

;)
Myers31TKD Thursday 3/20/2008 at 02:32 AM | 6056
LOL Nice. I just found it funny because I was being a negative nancy over at the myers house last night.. Fate can be a funny thing... -Dexter
Doppelganger Thursday 3/20/2008 at 02:34 AM | 6057
I'm sorry. My job's just not as hard as walking to a DVD shelf and freeze-framing a scene. I'm just plain useless I guess. This is my two weeks notice. Just mesng with you Bisco. Had to keep up my "Negative Nancy" image for the night.

;) god damn you are more negative than the us dollar versus the candaian dollar
Johnny Bisco Thursday 3/20/2008 at 03:01 AM | 6064
HAHAHAHA Man that can be a nasty subject. I had an argument about that last year. I must say I got pretty damn heated!! So yeah saying that Pat is more negative than that is very funny indeed!! -Dexter
Doppelganger Thursday 3/20/2008 at 03:06 AM | 6065
Wow Jason X was leaked. I never knew that. This is a cool thread. I think 8 did so bad because of minimal exposure of the city that was promised. I think the first 4 did so well because they were something new. 5 is only a hit with the cult following. Others can not understand just like with H3 why the director(s) chose the route they chose. I believe no matter how many more movies they make, they will always make more movies. I say bring it on!

mmyersisgod Thursday 3/20/2008 at 04:15 AM | 6077
Well... here's the deal. I started looking up things on F13 Part II to try and find an answer, but the mple thing is... there is no clear explaination. I think that... maybe, Part II introduced the real killer, the one who was really going to make the series blast off. Maybe after Part II's minimal success, it had no place to go but up. And it just happened to go WAY up due to a new, more relentless killer. Maybe it was JASON, that made the difference.

I was going to blame it on weekend competition, but that doesn't add up. For now... I'm settling with the idea that Jason's introduction made all the difference.

I had to watch Part II though after reading about it. It's a great film... definately F13 gold. Oh... and Amy Steel is second best to Jamie Lee. That's right... I said it.
Myers31TKD Thursday 3/20/2008 at 04:24 AM | 6079
Well... here's the deal. I started looking up things on F13 Part II to try and find an answer, but the mple thing is... there is no clear explaination. I think that... maybe, Part II introduced the real killer, the one who was really going to make the series blast off. Maybe after Part II's minimal success, it had no place to go but up. And it just happened to go WAY up due to a new, more relentless killer. Maybe it was JASON, that made the difference.

As good an answer that any of us could have dug up . .. Good Job there Patrick!
DaShape Thursday 3/20/2008 at 05:54 AM | 6085
Feeling a bit like Robert Stack at the moment.
Myers31TKD Thursday 3/20/2008 at 06:03 AM | 6088
8-) Feeling a bit like Robert Stack at the moment.

Que Unsolved Mysteries Theme
DaShape Thursday 3/20/2008 at 06:04 AM | 6089
Nice Detective work Pat. I see a shield in your future... -Dexter
Doppelganger Thursday 3/20/2008 at 04:16 PM | 6110
Wow Jason X was leaked. I never knew that. This is a cool thread. I think 8 did so bad because of minimal exposure of the city that was promised. I think the first 4 did so well because they were something new. 5 is only a hit with the cult following. Others can not understand just like with H3 why the director(s) chose the route they chose. I believe no matter how many more movies they make, they will always make more movies. I say bring it on!

manhattan could have been so much better had it had manhattan in it lol

times square just wasnt enough
Johnny Bisco Thursday 3/20/2008 at 10:39 PM | 6167
i agree with ya there. More Manhattan would have been nice. But the diner scene was pretty hilarious! -Dexter
Doppelganger Friday 3/21/2008 at 03:08 AM | 6210
welcome to new york blech............
Johnny Bisco Friday 3/21/2008 at 03:13 AM | 6217
blech............

Blech?? What the hell is that r!! -Dexter
Doppelganger Friday 3/21/2008 at 03:20 AM | 6222
the cheeest line in the flick
Johnny Bisco Friday 3/21/2008 at 03:23 AM | 6225
the cheeest line in the flick

LOL That's probably why I didn't remember...
Doppelganger Friday 3/21/2008 at 03:26 AM | 6226
there ya go now you know and knowing is half the battle GO JOE!
Johnny Bisco Friday 3/21/2008 at 03:28 AM | 6227
there ya go now you know and knowing is half the battle GO JOE

LOL Ain't that the damned truth though!!! -Dexter
Doppelganger Friday 3/21/2008 at 03:35 AM | 6228

Let's back up to this puzzle for a sec. I dug out my Crystal Lake Memories last night and they discussed this very point. There seem to be three theories and in all probability it was a combination of some of these:

1. Increased competition at the box office as there were more slasher flicks for moviegoers to choose from

2. Seeing Jason running around in his burlap sack mply wasn't as appealing as the unseen (for most of the movie) killer in Part 1

3. This one seems to be the most talked about. The MPAA censored a lot of things in Part 2 that they let go in Part 1 thinking nobody would be seeing it. With the increased censorship, Part 2 lost a lot of the violence and visual effects that made Part 1 a success. That being said, the ongoing battle with the MPAA was a constant theme throughout the book so that could be the reason more emphas was put on this particular point.
lblambert Friday 3/21/2008 at 01:39 PM | 6238

Let's back up to this puzzle for a sec. I dug out my Crystal Lake Memories last night and they discussed this very point. There seem to be three theories and in all probability it was a combination of some of these:

1. Increased competition at the box office as there were more slasher flicks for moviegoers to choose from

2. Seeing Jason running around in his burlap sack mply wasn't as appealing as the unseen (for most of the movie) killer in Part 1

3. This one seems to be the most talked about. The MPAA censored a lot of things in Part 2 that they let go in Part 1 thinking nobody would be seeing it. With the increased censorship, Part 2 lost a lot of the violence and visual effects that made Part 1 a success. That being said, the ongoing battle with the MPAA was a constant theme throughout the book so that could be the reason more emphas was put on this particular point.

Great find Lee!

The MPAA could have made all the difference in the world, they can make or break a film if they want.

So Bisco, do you have the uncut veron of Friday the 13th Part II?

I'd love to see the original now.
DaShape Friday 3/21/2008 at 02:54 PM | 6240
So Bisco, do you have the uncut veron of Friday the 13th Part II?

I'd love to see the original now.

Right. Is that veron out there somewhere? Part II is one of my favorites, and I'd love to see it with added scenes/gore. I'm also dying to see Mrs. Voorhees' eyes open at the end.

Myers31TKD Friday 3/21/2008 at 03:24 PM | 6242
i have part 2 the tv veron

nothing uncut

man ill post a pic of my f-13 dvds in a bit
Johnny Bisco Friday 3/21/2008 at 03:59 PM | 6243