THE DESCENT Well, by now most people have seen this but I'm not going to go into much detail.

I loved this film and thought it was by far one of the best horror flicks I had seen in years.

The way it played on the senses . . . Afraid of the dark, clostraphobia and creepy golum like creatures ready eat you alive.

Man, this movie creeped me out (and that doesn't happen very often).

Now my brother and good friend saw it at the same time as me (in a different state) and loathed it with such a pason that they won't even talk to me about it because they get so upset that I like it so much. . . .

to each his own I say.

However, I understand about the theatrical ending being a little . . .What just happened?

I'm happy to report that the extended director's cut completely takes care of that and ties up the ending very disturbingly.

I was extremely happy that it was a character driven story and that the movie just didn't "jump" right into it . . . it built up back story for the characters . . . built up the suspense and then unleashes a bloody massacre!!!

I give this one a Knifes up!!!

p.s. I LOVE THE MOVIE POSTER
DaShape Thursday 3/20/2008 at 06:41 AM | 6095
I totally fell in love with this movie. It was great in every aspect imo. The acting was superb, the story line was great. The creatures looked amazing.... Everything was just great. I'll give the go-ahead for 2 knives up! -Dexter
Doppelganger Thursday 3/20/2008 at 04:24 PM | 6114
I just bought this today because of your review. I'd been wanting to see it for a while so I figured what the hell. I'll post again after I've watched it (either tonight or tomorrow).
Myers31TKD Thursday 3/20/2008 at 06:43 PM | 6131
I hope ya like it Pat. And don't forget to catch all them flaws!! -Dexter
Doppelganger Thursday 3/20/2008 at 07:05 PM | 6137
I just bought this today because of your review. I'd been wanting to see it for a while so I figured what the hell. I'll post again after I've watched it (either tonight or tomorrow).

I'm so hoping you like this movie Patrick!

You have to watch it alone and in the dark . . . for the full effect LOL.

Can't wait for your review.
DaShape Friday 3/21/2008 at 06:49 AM | 6231
THE DESCENT

Well I watched this today, alone, in the darkness of 5:00 am. This... movie... KILLS!! I loved it. The atmosphere was incredible. That's the closest feeling to being inde a cave that I'll ever have. I can't say enough about this. It was a HORROR film, and as good of one as I've seen in a very long time. It was something new and fresh that I'd never seen before (not a f**king remake), with totally believable villains. I give all the credit in the world to the filmmakers who succeeded in making a true horror film. One of my new favorites... seriously. Joel... thanks for inadvertently making me buy it.

If you haven't seen it... do.

Myers31TKD Monday 3/24/2008 at 04:08 PM | 6427
Awesome. Really glad ya liked it Pat. -Dexter
Doppelganger Monday 3/24/2008 at 05:18 PM | 6443
One of my new favorites... seriously. Joel... thanks for inadvertently making me buy it I'm really glad you liked it!!!

Seriously, very original and a true horror movie that's not a remake . . .finally LOL.
DaShape Tuesday 3/25/2008 at 01:26 AM | 6506
One of my new favorites... seriously. Joel... thanks for inadvertently making me buy it I'm really glad you liked it!!!

Seriously, very original and a true horror movie that's not a remake . . .finally LOL.

Yeah really. One in a million these days. I'm VERY glad I saw it... and own it for that matter.
Myers31TKD Tuesday 3/25/2008 at 01:43 AM | 6507
I don't really post much here but I had to on this because I FREAKN LOOOOOVE this movie!!!

It's been a fave of mine for a while.

It's one of the most original, visceral movie experiences I've ever had.

I still jump a little when the girl wakes up and looks outde while dreaming and that bolt goes through her head even though I've seen it dozens of times.

Still waiting for one of the talented members either here or on one of the other boards to tackle a mask of one of the cave crawlers.

Descent RULEZ!

They better NEVER try to remake it

deathrisingup Tuesday 3/25/2008 at 12:52 PM | 6523
I don't really post much here but I had to on this because I FREAKN LOOOOOVE this movie!!!

I still jump a little when the girl wakes up and looks outde while dreaming and that bolt goes through her head even though I've seen it dozens of times.

Still waiting for one of the talented members either here or on one of the other boards to tackle a mask of one of the cave crawlers.

Descent RULEZ!

They better NEVER try to remake it You should post here more, or else you will get banned......agreed on the film though, I thought it was very original and pretty well done.
heretic Tuesday 3/25/2008 at 02:47 PM | 6531

Descent RULEZ!

They better NEVER try to remake it You should post here more, or else you will get banned......agreed on the film though, I thought it was very original and pretty well done.

Thanks for the advice man...definitely don't wanna get banned.

Will try to post here more often.
deathrisingup Tuesday 3/25/2008 at 02:56 PM | 6532
I just saw this movie for the first time the other day and absolutely agree it is a great movie...I was alittle thrown by the ending but overall it definately ranks up there.
kweandee Wednesday 4/23/2008 at 05:45 AM | 9591
I just saw this movie for the first time the other day and absolutely agree it is a great movie...I was alittle thrown by the ending but overall it definately ranks up there.

Which ending did you see?

There are two verons, the Theatrical (which ends in the SUV) and the extended (that ends in the cave)?

The Extended makes much more sense and I liked it a lot more . . . gave the movie more closure.
DaShape Wednesday 4/23/2008 at 05:57 AM | 9594
The one in the SUV...I didn't know there was an extended veron. I will have to check it out...thanks!
kweandee Wednesday 4/23/2008 at 12:04 PM | 9603
The one in the SUV...I didn't know there was an extended veron. I will have to check it out...thanks!

Yeah, you saw the "What just happened?" ending LOL.

The extended edition has a MUCH better ending that actually makes sense (I have no idea why they wouldn't show that in theaters).
DaShape Wednesday 4/23/2008 at 11:46 PM | 9645
**SPOILER??**

So in the original ending, it just stops in the SUV?? Or does it show her friend like in the other veron?

Either way, I'm happy I got the better one.

8-)
Myers31TKD Thursday 4/24/2008 at 02:59 AM | 9668
It just ends w/her on the de of the road and she looks over to the passanger seat and there's the friend and that's it....your tting there like what the f**k....lol

The entire movie up until that was ck though

8-)
kweandee Thursday 4/24/2008 at 05:05 AM | 9688
It just ends w/her on the de of the road and she looks over to the passanger seat and there's the friend and that's it....your tting there like what the f**k....lol

Yeh... I'm glad I never saw the original veron (by itself). I definitely would have been disappointed.
Myers31TKD Thursday 4/24/2008 at 05:11 AM | 9689

Yeh... I'm glad I never saw the original veron (by itself). I definitely would have been disappointed.

Yeah, that was the worst part of the entire film because it made NO sense whatsoever.

However, the veron where it ends in the cave . . . great ending!
DaShape Thursday 4/24/2008 at 05:49 PM | 9706