Forums Horror Movie Talk
A Nightmare on Elm Street Domestic Box office comparison

Where there's Michael and Jason . . . Freddy is soon to follow.

Below are the Domestic Box office comparison numbers (that are NOT adjusted for inflation).

A Nightmare on Elm Street: $25,504,513 Freddy's Revenge: $29,999,213 Dream Warriors: $44,793,222 Dream Master: $49,369,899 Dream Child: $22,168,359 Freddy's Dead: $34,872,033 New Nightmare: $18,090,181 Freddy vs Jason: $82,622,655

No surprise that VS. comes out on top, but I'm baffled that Dream Master came in 2nd?

And then Dream Warriors 3rd?

Now that I've thought about it for a moment maybe I'm not that surprised.

Then there's Wes Craven's New Nightmare that bottomed out.

I honestly really liked New Nightmare until the last 30 minutes.

Freddy's Dead was just all over the place . . . other than I like the very end.

I'm assuming Warriors and Master must have been at the height of Fred's popularity. http://i31.tinypic.com/1zoffwl.
DaShape Friday 3/21/2008 at 02:28 AM | 6195
im baffled the number 2 is higher than one

new nightmare was too intelligent for most of the masses
Johnny Bisco Friday 3/21/2008 at 02:31 AM | 6196
Ever notice how Freddy hardly speaks in part 2?
DaShape Friday 3/21/2008 at 02:32 AM | 6197
part 2 is so under rated!

what pissed me off about the series was when they were pushing the henny youngman aspect of freddy too hard
Johnny Bisco Friday 3/21/2008 at 02:37 AM | 6198
hmm, Nightmare on Elm Street? Never heard of it These number do kind of reflect the huge exploon that the slasher movies enjoyed during the '80's.
Horror Domain - Cursed Evil Overlord Friday 3/21/2008 at 02:48 AM | 6199
i miss the 80s

i swear to god therewas a new slasher flick at the theatre every weekim almost to post 666 lol
Johnny Bisco Friday 3/21/2008 at 02:55 AM | 6200
Wow. I knew I would be seeing one of these posted soon.. As figured VS on top, But dream master 2nd?? That's a surprise... -Dexter
Doppelganger Friday 3/21/2008 at 02:56 AM | 6201
we're the dream warriors dont wanna dream no moredokken lol
Johnny Bisco Friday 3/21/2008 at 02:58 AM | 6202
we're the dream warriors dont wanna dream no moredokken lol

How many beers have you had tonight r!!! Looks like your fallin over the edge!!
-Dexter
Doppelganger Friday 3/21/2008 at 03:00 AM | 6204
ok for post number 666 IM FUCKING SMASHED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Johnny Bisco Friday 3/21/2008 at 03:02 AM | 6206
Yeah . . . I wonder if bringing Nancy back for Dream Warriors had anything to do with it's success?
DaShape Friday 3/21/2008 at 03:03 AM | 6207
ok for post number 666 IM FUCKING SMASHED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now that's a celebration right there LOL
DaShape Friday 3/21/2008 at 03:06 AM | 6209

Nice!!! I love that. I figured you were r. Some of your stuff wasnt makin sense...
Doppelganger Friday 3/21/2008 at 03:11 AM | 6214
I've been looking at these box office comparisons and instead of looking at them in terms of the movies themselves and which did worse that others, I looked at the times these were released and noticed something interesting.

Friday 8, Halloween 5, and Nightmare 5 were all near the bottom of their respective franchises. Coincidentally these movies were all released within a few months of each other (July-October of 1989).

Given that both the Friday and Nightmare franchises never really picked up again (with the exception of VS) I have to wonder if the average moviegoers had just had enough of the slasher subgenre by the end of the 80s.The two films that really did well after this point in time were FVJ and H20. My own thought is H20 was popular because it marketed itself as nostalgic, bringing back JLC and going back to the beginning of the franchise. I think nostalgia played a role in the success of FVJ as well.I could be totally wrong about this but my guess is the peaks and valleys in attendance figures have more to do with when these movies were released than the movies themselves. The boom of the slasher sub-genre was a trend in the mid 80s and it did taper off as all trends do.
lblambert Friday 3/21/2008 at 02:28 PM | 6239
I've been looking at these box office comparisons and instead of looking at them in terms of the movies themselves and which did worse that others, I looked at the times these were released and noticed something interesting.

Friday 8, Halloween 5, and Nightmare 5 were all near the bottom of their respective franchises. Coincidentally these movies were all released within a few months of each other (July-October of 1989).

Given that both the Friday and Nightmare franchises never really picked up again (with the exception of VS) I have to wonder if the average moviegoers had just had enough of the slasher subgenre by the end of the 80s.The two films that really did well after this point in time were FVJ and H20. My own thought is H20 was popular because it marketed itself as nostalgic, bringing back JLC and going back to the beginning of the franchise. I think nostalgia played a role in the success of FVJ as well.I could be totally wrong about this but my guess is the peaks and valleys in attendance figures have more to do with when these movies were released than the movies themselves. The boom of the slasher sub-genre was a trend in the mid 80s and it did taper off as all trends do.

Very good assessment!

That makes perfect sense, by the 90s the teen horror subgenre was taking off (Scream, I know What you did Last Summer, etc.).

Instead of monsters as the antagonists, the villain was now your best friend in high school.

But like most things they nce then we've had Aan horror (which all seem to have the same story lines j/k) and then the whole "more gore" (Saw, Hostel etc) and now the "Remake" subgenre.

(I'm sure I missed a few in there).

Even with these stats and box office figures, I by no means believe that a film's quality and "how good it is" is based only the amount of revenue it pulls in.

There have been fantastic films out there that have just bombed.

There are tons of external factors that determine how successful a film is . . .. is it a new fresh idea?

Is it a sequel? Is it 4 or 5 films into a franchise?

what other films are coming out during the same time?

what time of year is it?

I for one am more thankful now for our great Horror Producers who keep putting out these great films (regardless of box office "success" or "failure")
DaShape Friday 3/21/2008 at 03:08 PM | 6241