Forums Horror Movie Talk
My 1963 Don Post Frankenstein's monster? Karloff??

Any of you guys got any idea how rare this mask is or what its worth? I've looked around and can't find any images or info on the mask.

Its dated 1963 Don Post / Universal.

I've had it nce I was a kid, its such a great mask!

Thanks guys! -Casey

CartyParty Tuesday 4/01/2008 at 05:29 PM | 7155
That Frank was sculpted by Pat Newman in the 70's. Then resculpted by her in the late 80's when the mold broke down. I think from looking at the ears you have the late 80's veron shown here. I

painted it. In the late 80's Post made about 350 of each Universal monster to be sold at each Universal Studios to celebrate the opening of Universal Florida. When and where did you buy it Casey? Depending on how bad the rotting is. It could fetch up to 300.00 or more.
HorrorSanctum Tuesday 4/01/2008 at 05:50 PM | 7156
That Frank was sculpted by Pat Newman in the 70's. Then resculpted by her in the late 80's when the mold broke down. I think from looking at the ears you have the late 80's veron shown here. I

painted it. In the late 80's Post made about 350 of each Universal monster to be sold at each Universal Studios to celebrate the opening of Universal Florida. When and where did you buy it Casey? Depending on how bad the rotting is. It could fetch up to 300.00 or more.

I thought thats what it looked like but I was thrown off by the date on the back. Why would it be dated 1963 if it was sculpted in the 70's and then recasted again in the 80's?

My dad got it for me in a decoration shop in Port Huron Michigan. I think I was 10, so about 16 or so years ago. It was new with tags and appeared to be vintage even back then.

Thanks for the pic's, really cool!
CartyParty Tuesday 4/01/2008 at 06:43 PM | 7157

I thought thats what it looked like but I was thrown off by the date on the back. Why would it be dated 1963 if it was sculpted in the 70's and then recasted again in the 80's?

My dad got it for me in a decoration shop in Port Huron Michigan. I think I was 10, so about 16 or so years ago. It was new with tags and appeared to be vintage even back then.

Thanks for the pic's, really cool

Because that's the date Universal made the last copyright on that character. Doesn't mean the mask is from '63.
HorrorSanctum Tuesday 4/01/2008 at 06:47 PM | 7158
Because that's the date Universal made the last copyright on that character. Doesn't mean the mask is from '63.

I see. We'll thats great. I've always wondered exactly what it was. Its in pretty good shape, there was a little crack between the brow and nose but I was able to glue it so you can't tell.

Any tips on protecting this mask?

Great Paint job!
CartyParty Tuesday 4/01/2008 at 06:57 PM | 7160

I see. We'll thats great. I've always wondered exactly what it was. Its in pretty good shape, there was a little crack between the brow and nose but I was able to glue it so you can't tell.

Any tips on protecting this mask?

Great Paint job

Man I really don't...once it starts to crack and get spongy it will continue to get worse. At this point the smart thing to do would be to send it to Kelly Mann the mask doctor to Foam it. Maybe that will stop it from getting worse.
HorrorSanctum Tuesday 4/01/2008 at 08:17 PM | 7171

what store was that Casey? i recall seeing that but cant remember the store

was it Lendzions? they always had a ton of masks there sept to oct
Johnny Bisco Friday 4/04/2008 at 05:49 PM | 7493

what store was that Casey? i recall seeing that but cant remember the store

was it Lendzions? they always had a ton of masks there sept to oct Actually yeah I think thats what it was called. Wow, good memory! Havn't heard that name in years!
CartyParty Saturday 4/05/2008 at 04:10 AM | 7581
well im goood lol
Johnny Bisco Saturday 4/05/2008 at 04:18 AM | 7582
Love the mask. I think it looks great and is def worth it to send it over to Kelly to preserve for as long as posble.
quietonthesetstudios Saturday 4/05/2008 at 07:28 PM | 7607