Forums Off Topic
BLUE RAY VS HD

Anyone else notice that all HD disks have been replace in stores now with Blue Ray??? THAT WAS FAST!!
HorrorSanctum Tuesday 4/29/2008 at 02:27 AM | 10194
Yep HD-DVD's are deadand I really had my money on them. I read Toshiba is suspending production and Microsoft no longer makes the HD-DVD drive Stick a fork en um

Horror Domain - Cursed Evil Overlord Tuesday 4/29/2008 at 02:42 AM | 10195
Here's a dumb question.... Will a Blue Ray drive....play regular DVDs?
HorrorSanctum Tuesday 4/29/2008 at 02:46 AM | 10196
thats not a dumb question actually. I would think they do but I am really not sure...
Horror Domain - Cursed Evil Overlord Tuesday 4/29/2008 at 02:47 AM | 10197
I see both of us are the wrong ones to be answering that question....

HorrorSanctum Tuesday 4/29/2008 at 02:49 AM | 10198
Bill Gates (who owned the HD-DVD format) said he really didn't care that he lost the format war to Blue Ray because all movies will eventually be online and I have to agree with him.

I just order up a movie on my tv now whenever I want to see it . ..

in HD no less also lol.

I give it 5 -10 years when all analog TVs are gone and everybody has a LCD or Plasma that video stores will be gone completely as well as hard copy anything.
DaShape Tuesday 4/29/2008 at 02:52 AM | 10199
ok captain dvd chiming in

hd dvd will play regular dvd

blue ray will not

i got my hd dvd player for my x box 360 for 30 bucks nce they went under and best buy you can get hd movies dirt cheap buy now!!!

i got the thing, army of darkness, full metal jacket, the shining and more for 10 bucks a piece!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Johnny Bisco Tuesday 4/29/2008 at 02:55 AM | 10202
Yep HD-DVD's are deadand I really had my money on them.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c84/lblambert/Heads/haha.
lblambert Tuesday 4/29/2008 at 02:57 AM | 10203
Here's a dumb question.... Will a Blue Ray drive....play regular DVDs?

The PS3 plays both Blu-ray and regular DVDs.
lblambert Tuesday 4/29/2008 at 03:01 AM | 10204
Bill Gates (who owned the HD-DVD format) said he really didn't care that he lost the format war to Blue Ray because all movies will eventually be online and I have to agree with him.

in HD no less also lol.

I give it 5 -10 years when all analog TVs are gone and everybody has a LCD or Plasma that video stores will be gone completely as well as hard copy anything.

I'm not ready for the switch. Even in 5-10 years... I wont be ready.
Myers31TKD Tuesday 4/29/2008 at 03:17 AM | 10208
well i can guarantee ill have all your blu ray bootleg needs coming soon!!!!
Johnny Bisco Tuesday 4/29/2008 at 03:19 AM | 10210

in HD no less also lol.

I'm not ready for the switch. Even in 5-10 years... I wont be ready.LOL, I'm ready now.

I'd save a ton of room if I didn't have my DVDs and VHS and I could just keep it all on my TV and pull it up and watch it whenever I wanted to.

Still, I know having a Phycal thing to own plays a part in the marketing of movies after they leave the theaters . .. it will be interesting to see how they swing this.
DaShape Tuesday 4/29/2008 at 03:20 AM | 10211

in HD no less also lol.

I'm not ready for the switch. Even in 5-10 years... I wont be ready.LOL, I'm ready now.

I'd save a ton of room if I didn't have my DVDs and VHS and I could just keep it all on my TV and pull it up and watch it whenever I wanted to.

Still, I know having a Phycal thing to own plays a part in the marketing of movies after they leave the theaters . .. it will be interesting to see how they swing this.

Yeah... I've just spent a lot of time and money on my horror movie collection (and I still do). I just think it's crazy that everything I worked so hard to get will just suddenly become obsolete. I also hear that they're doing away with vinyl??? Apparently we'll soon be buying full albums on small plastic cartridges.
Myers31TKD Tuesday 4/29/2008 at 03:42 AM | 10213
Right, PS3's play standard DVD's. They also upgrade the picture as well. Not to b-ray standard, but you can tell the difference. Also, this summer SONY will put out it's new b-ray player that will play standard DVD's, as well as having the extra feature of being able to grab special features of whatever movie you're watching, off the internet. Then in the fall, SONY will have another player out. This one with more features even yet. One will be around 400.00, the other 500.00.

I think Panasonic may have their veron out now. If not, they will

very soon. Supposly, it's gonna give Sony a run for it's money. Retail is around 799.99.
SithLord Tuesday 4/29/2008 at 07:20 AM | 10222
All current blu-ray players DO play dvd's. Most all of them also upconvert them to 720p/1080i/1080p. I've been all blu nce I got my PS3 in July of

last year. Now I only go for the dvd if it's not available on blu.
t-doyle Tuesday 4/29/2008 at 02:37 PM | 10227
All current blu-ray players DO play dvd's. Most all of them also upconvert them to 720p/1080i/1080p. I've been all blu nce I got my PS3 in July of

I know the PS3 plays standard DVDs...but I wasn't sure about dedicated Blue Ray players....thanks for the info
HorrorSanctum Tuesday 4/29/2008 at 07:37 PM | 10244

I know the PS3 plays standard DVDs...but I wasn't sure about dedicated Blue Ray players....thanks for the info

No problem. There was a lot of FUD (fear, uncertainty, and doubt) spouted during the format war. I feel the better format definitely won out, and I don't think we have to

worry about digital downloads really taking off for a while.
t-doyle Wednesday 4/30/2008 at 02:09 AM | 10292
Here's a dumb question.... Will a Blue Ray drive....play regular DVDs? Yes blue ray plays regular dvd's.
CartyParty Wednesday 4/30/2008 at 12:41 PM | 10325