Forums Horror Movie Talk
The Orphanage

hey guys,

just got finished watching Guillermo Del Toro's The Orphanage and i was impressed to say the least.

The film is about a woman who grew up at an orphanage and is one of the few luckey ones to be adopted. Once an adult, she and her new husband and son move back into the old orphanage to renovate and open up a small home for down syndrome kids.

Then things get turned upde down.

The dvd itself is presented in beautiful widescreen and several options for you surround sound audiophiles. There are special features galore which include an alternate ending.

The entire film is in spanish, with english subtitles. Now on to the juicy bits...the film itself.

The story was outstanding

in terms of pacing and dialogue. Belen Rueda, who played Laura was amazing in the lead.

She could emote and bring you in to really feel everything she was feeling. She is able to use her face to express such a range of emotion.

Roger Princep, who plays mon, her son, also did an outstanding job, especially condering his age.

The cinematography was beautiful with the camera picking up all the subtleties of the old orphanage, the cave and even the beautiful location of the beach.While the special effects were few and far between, they were pulled off really well. If you are looking for blood and guts, then this isn't the movie for you.

If you are looking for a very dark, supernatural vibe, then jump on this one quick. The camera work drew me in several times thinking something bad was about to happen with no payoff, then when i was no longer expecting it....BAM.....i jumped out of my seat.

Last but not least is Tomas, another one of the characters in the film. I really cannot say anything about him because i do not want to give the film away, but...once you see this film, you will be rallying with me to get a tomas mask made.....

4 and a half out of 5 stars two thumbs up all that and a bag of doritos etc...etc....you get the idea.

buy this now and you won't be disappointed.
Homicidal9 Friday 5/02/2008 at 10:52 PM | 10564